PagerDuty Reviews

Updated May 13, 2021

4.3
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is what you make it but here it's better than most(in 23 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Company is maturing and experiencing some growing pains as a result(in 15 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company

Mar 11, 2021 - BDR Representative in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning opportunity for anyone seeking technical experience

Cons

Career trajectory needs work to retain talent

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Accountability for programing

May 13, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The commission structure across levels can be quite lucrative. - Great benefits - Market leading product - Supporting colleagues and a great culture

Cons

There is very little accountability on leadership for the programs being run in the sales org. Individual contributors are the only ones held accountable while many of the programs to support us drop the ball. This is made evident by the overwhelming level of churn that the sales org has experienced. Over the last year we've lost more talent than usual. The most notable example is the BDR org, who recently lost all their tenured members.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Great Software Engineering culture

Mar 4, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

A strong technical reputation, interesting architecture and opportunity to learn a lot. Individual contributors are empathetic and talented. There’s a very strong culture of operating what you build on production. Jen is an amazing CEO and role model to all. Some of the technical stuff we're building on top of we take for granted but are pretty amazing. You'll be oncall for what you build and work on interesting scaling challenges. Engineering leadership at all levels respond to feedback with decisive action. They make sure there's a team who owns each problem, and generally do a good job making tough calls about hiring and firing.

Cons

We had distributed engineering teams in mostly two cities before the pandemic, but adapting to fully remote has been hard. We have microservices and a drive for autonomous well-formed teams but it's more tangled than anyone would like. We sometimes have a bias for inaction via committees and councils. This is improving (see managers respond to feedback). We're working on diversity at the senior engineering level.

4. 3.0

On the decline

Oct 16, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Policy wise the org cares about your physical and mental wellbeing. Covid policies have been reasonable and empathetic and leadership has been communicative and transparent Working with lots of smart people Good brand awareness among tech, many companies use the product Work-life balance is what you make it but here it's better than most. Be aware that on call load varies greatly between teams so be sure to talk about that with the hiring manager before signing on

Cons

Compensation is below average and the stock is going nowhere Diversity is fantastic at lower ranks but diversity in senior ranks is as abysmally low as the rest of the industry if not below average Depending on which team your on the environment can be incredibly toxic and there aren’t many teams with exciting work to switch to. Leadership demands GSD but doesn’t pave the way for that to happen- product development is anemic as a result and there's a strong risk of being overtaken by competition You’ll waste a lot of time and energy needlessly struggling with "strong personalities" (ie a-holes) in order to feed their egos rather than working together to find solutions and ship quality work Shocking meeting load even for individual contributors because the company thinks the more meetings you have the more “agile” it is

12 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great growth company with solid core values.

Dec 8, 2020 - Senior Customer Success Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work culture Decent work-life balance Smart and talented people Awesome product Good vision / roadmap Logical / smart acquisitions

Cons

Undergoing a transformation Company is maturing and experiencing some growing pains as a result Lack of clarity on direction and strategy on how to execute on that vision Product siloed and slight disconnect with customer-facing roles

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Operations

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. Championing the customer is one of PagerDuty values and we strive to keep their experience top of mind. This year we have a renewed focus on product-led growth, and we want to encourage a bias towards action and risk taking, so that we can focus on delivering outcomes that solve our customers’ biggest challenges. Please continue to let us know how we can improve and create more synergy across our departments!

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Truly inclusive employer that lives it's values

Mar 11, 2021 - Senior Program Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

truly inclusive ambitious in it's goals growing market leader

Cons

ad hoc not always successful in being transparent slow decision making

Talent Operations

Thank you for your review! We are focused on creating an inclusive environment in line with our PagerDuty values so that is great feedback. As we scale, we are reviewing and revamping processes we may have outgrown. To your point, this fiscal year, we are encouraging quick decision making and a bias towards action to free up time and deliver outstanding customer outcomes. Please feel free to reach out to us at recruiting-ops@pagerduty.com, or your HRBP. We value your input and would love to hear how we could do better!

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent Company, Growth and Execution Challenges

Jul 7, 2020 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Superb compensation plan - Product is industry leading - Customers want to learn about and buy the product; lots of inbound interest - Excellent marketing function; helps drive pipeline - Opportunity to grow professionally; promotion or transfer into new roles - Fantastic diversity and inclusion; no one ever feels left out - Learn from some of the industries best DevOps people - Really awesome perks like free lunches, ESPP, and wellness programs - A place where you can really come into your own as a software sales professional

Cons

- Below average sales operations; takes way too long to send/edit quotes to a customer - Lack of enablement and coaching; not a lot of feedback or direction on where to improve so you consistently feel stuck - Lack of execution and alignment; probably the biggest con. The sales org hops from one thing to the next without actually executing on anything; makes it more difficult than it should be to be successful - Could be a more encouraging environment, quite negative at times

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Caring culture, great learning experience

May 7, 2020 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Engineering managers who actually care about your career growth. Career ladder is clear and reasonable (at least at the earlier levels, that I can speak to) - Interesting and challenging work (may vary between teams) - More than just lip service (for the most part) when it comes to diversity and building a positive and open culture - Flexible work-from-home policy - Incredibly supportive policies, especially seen during COVID-19 crisis

Cons

- Company is still trying to develop strong messaging/product. We're the biggest in our space but there are others catching up so we need to be more agile - Can't speak to culture in other departments. I don't think we're as good as we could be about inter-departmental collaboration and communication - There are a few "strong personalities" in eng, despite the "no a--holes" rule. - Pay is reasonable, but not comparable to the big FAANG-type valley salaries

3 people found this review helpful

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We love hearing that you're enjoying the wonderful culture we have here at PagerDuty! Our culture is so important to us and ultimately is what makes working at PagerDuty so unique. In this period of hyper-growth, we are committed to ensuring that Dutonians across all levels feel empowered to take ownership of their work so they can see themselves, their teams, and PagerDuty be as successful as possible. If you'd like to chat more, please reach out to a member of our People Team.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Like a breath of fresh air!

Oct 18, 2019 - Facilities Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I came to PagerDuty from another company that was basically toxic and the complete opposite in every way, so believe me when I say that I truly appreciate the (genuine) transparency, ethics and values being demonstrated by the leadership at PagerDuty. This is a very humanistic organization that places tremendous value on diversity, inclusion, and wellness. There are great benefits such as free daily catered lunches, and health insurance coverage that starts on your first day. Our offices are thoughtfully designed, great places to work. Employees are encouraged to speak up and be heard, and provide ideas for improvement. It is an exciting time for the company, having just gone public and we are growing by leaps and bounds.

Cons

Being a growth company means that there are some processes that have not quite caught up, and there are some individuals who are stuck in a small company mindset. This is only natural and surely will get better.

Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review! We are very proud of the diverse and inclusive workplace culture we have created here at PagerDuty, and love that it is something you value as well. It's important to our Leadership team that we retain this culture, along with remaining as transparent as possible, with events like our CEO Jennifer Tejada's "Ask Me Anything" sessions. As we scale, documenting and updating our processes will be essential for our continued success. It is certainly an area we will continue to focus on so that we can help inspire our team to grow without limits!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Account Executive

May 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

PD has an incredibly strong corporate culture that starts at the top with our CEO and filters all the way to individual contributors. There are numerous programs to help enable personal and professional development. Office culture is great with free lunch (that 90% of the time is awesome), smart people, and events that bring everyone together. From a platform standpoint, PD focuses on the end user for development and improvements and this reflects our strong reputation within the IT community. The platform is pushing into new areas and elevating the conversation, so its exciting to talk about with customers. The job is a grind, but the organization is doing what it can to enable AEs with tech they need, resources, experts, etc. If you see a challenge as a positive, this would be a good fit.

Cons

As a fast growing company, there is a lot of ongoing change. There are operational areas that have room for improvement, and the organization is making progress. Enablement is an area of constant flux as the industry explodes with new areas, customer personas, technical features and partners to focus on…sometimes there are too many focus areas and leadership/tenured AEs could help prioritize. When one of your biggest challenges is finding an available room for a call, it is not a bad situation.

4 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding and Talent Attraction Program Manager

Thank you for leaving such thoughtful feedback! At PagerDuty, we prioritize building a culture and on-the-ground environment where every employee can thrive. We'll continue to prioritize employee experience as we grow rapidly. You can count on continued feedback surveys, leadership "Ask Me Anything" sessions, updates, and more! Here's to many more PagerDuty milestones together!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 213 Reviews

Popular Careers with PagerDuty Job Seekers

Software Engineer
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    Software Engineer(Internship)
    Learn About the Job
    Software Engineer (New Grad)