PagerDuty Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k matching, but it's hard to find start ups these days that do this (in 7 reviews)

• Ambiguity that comes with working at any fast growing company (in 5 reviews)

1. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty (Less than a year)

Pros

PagerDuty is a really great place to work. The work itself is interesting and the company growth is exciting. The company culture is encouraging and supportive. I'm working with smart, dedicated people who are helpful and invested in my success. With PagerDuty I feel like I am part of a team that succeeds or fails together.

The culture embraces blameless retrospectives and focuses on accountability and constructive feedback. Senior management is incredibly transparent and approachable. The organization is supportive of my career goals and personal development. This is really the best place I've ever worked.

There's lots to do and things are never slow, but work-life balance is quite good and there's a conscious effort to avoid 'on-call heroes' and make sure everyone gets the downtime they need. On top of all that there's great benefits, a fully stocked kitchen, catered lunch everyday, and lots of social activities inside and outside the office.

I'm far from a new grad and PagerDuty is hands-down the best place I've ever worked. I really love it here!

Cons

I can't really think of any that are specific to PagerDuty. There are some challenges that every high-growth company faces as it expands. PagerDuty is tackling those challenges really well and it's very exciting to be a part of that.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job--please keep it up!

2. "Coordinator"

I worked at PagerDuty part-time

Pros

Lots of growth alright but cannot be more organize

Cons

Too many abs and flows and expect newbies to catch up to expectations.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to help out.

3. "Fantastic learning opportunity, great people"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Emphasizes learning and growth, and supports engineers in making it happen.
    - Blameless culture, from incident postmortems and beyond - the focus is on learning and preventing future problems, rather than pinning blame.
    - Organizational willingness to take calculated risks with new technology, whether it's infrastructure tech, programming languages, or libraries.
    - Engineering strives to appropriately balance moving quickly against technical risk.
    - Smart engineers who get things done.
    - No jerks allowed - being candid yet empathetic is a core value here.
    - DevOps culture - you build it, you deploy it and run it in production.

Cons

- Some services, libraries and tools are legacy and balancing paying down this tech debt with new feature work can be a challenge.
    - Focus shifted from engineering excellence to product/feature work to (occasionally) too great an extent. This seems to be shifting back somewhat, so hopefully a happy, sustainable middle ground is settled upon.

Advice to Management

Management by and large have done a fantastic job. Keep us moving in the direction we've been heading, but continue to strive for the right balance when it's important.

5. "Top Tech Company in Toronto"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Great Benefits & Compensation
    + Empathetic leadership allowing for great work life balance
    + Some of the best people I have ever worked with
    + Challenging and exciting work

Cons

Distributed team so it takes a little more effort to make sure everyone is connected and on the same page but there's plenty of opportunities to meet face-to-face and take the time to sync.

6. "Slick, quick, and smooth"

Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company values diversity, hustle, and provides terrific snacks. Everyone at every level will move earth to help you do your job.

It took a week from applying through a referral to signing the paperwork. Onboarding was smooth.

Cons

I didn't apply here two years ago. I should have taken my PagerDuty friend's advice.

Remote work between two offices can be awkward sometimes but they work hard at it.

7. "Great People, Great Challenges, Great Culture"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A growing, smart company that is constantly reflecting on itself and pushing itself to the next level.

Cons

Some legacy code means rebuilding things vs. building new product becomes a balancing act that can at times be challenges

"Amazing Culture and Growth"

Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible Executive team that is extremely transparent and approachable.

Although we have had tremendous growth, the company is still very nimble and is able to make tweaks to things like the comp plan to ensure personal success of the sales team.

The sales cycles are fairly quick (under 60 days in most cases) and there is a healthy mix of transactional business and big deals. This helps ensure you are getting a decent pay check every month while having the opportunity to blow it out with the larger deals.

Catered lunches everyday is a nice perk, when you think of the cost of lunch, it is something that definitely adds up over the course of a year.

Cons

As mentioned above, there is always lots of change going on, which can be overwhelming for some people.

Advice to Management

I love the focus on our corporate values, keep up the great work!

"A company that cares about it's employees as much as it's customers ❤️"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at PagerDuty has shown me that it is possible to love going into work every day. Not only do I work with the smart group of people that I've ever met, Dutonians are friendly, helpful and decent human beings. If you ever need help or support, it's always available to you.

Besides the great company, we also have the best customers. Our customers have a love-hate relationship with us (who wants to be woken at 3am anyways?), but they're always willing to speak to us so we can make their lives easier.

The office admin team is also out of this world. Between organizing team events and spoiling us with great food and drinks, they're always available to accommodate us with whatever we need.

After almost two years on the job, I can't find any reason why I would want to work for any other company but PagerDuty. Thanks for letting me join the ride!

Cons

Lots of work to do to make PagerDuty the best it can be. That can be a pro too ;)

Advice to Management

Keep Hack Days open for any idea. They're one of my favorite things about PD, and the best outlet for us to share our love of PD together.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

Pros

- Smart people, but generally humble and collaborative
    - Interesting technical challenges
    - Willingness to experiment with new tech
    - Work-life balance (flexible hours, can work from home, etc.)
    - DevOps is really a thing here - you're on-call for what you build
    - Fun culture (free lunch, beer, company events)
    - Management that genuinely cares about employees
    - Leadership is trending in the right direction since new CEO joined
    - Opportunity for technical career advancement
    - Progressive company values
    - Generous training budget (conferences etc.)
    - I am genuinely happy to come to work every day.

Cons

- Varying technical debt between different teams
    - Org can be somewhat product-driven, at the expense of doing things right (this is a more recent change, and there are signs it might be correcting)
    - It seems that some engineering teams are under more pressure than others, leading to some recent turnover (also due to product focus)
    - Hiring is a bit of a mess recently, leading to understaffed teams

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing mostly, but empower your engineers to work on things they know need fixing. Figure out the hiring situation (advertise more? be more involved in the community?)

11. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, good tech, good leadership

Cons

Growing to fast and neglecting some HR problems

Advice to Management

Slow down the hiring a bit