PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.3
PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture promotes a work hard/play hard mentality and those who exceed their goals & targets are rewarded (in 45 reviews)

• Michael Page is one of the best learning environments that I have worked in (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • not ideal for work-life balance (in 83 reviews)

• The nature of the industry is long hours so definitely not for those who are looking to put in the minimum hours in order to be successful (in 157 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- very good training
    - great career progression
    - helpful directors who take the time to sit down and run through your day to day to help you improve
    -trips and incentives to make money

Cons

- long hours
    - some managers get too frustrated easily and sometimes have a double standard
    - discretionary bonuses are just that - so sometimes you feel like you get shorthanded
    - new employees are treated better than older ones - should keep an eye on treating them better
    - management sometimes treats people that have been there for a long time poorly (could improve incentives for senior candidates)

Advice to Management

- focus on treating older employees better - dont penny pinch with people that have brought you lots of revenue
    - give context to situations

2. "Amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Michael Page is one of the best places I have ever worked. The culture is truly a work hard play hard environment. There are competitions to keep individuals motivated, quarterly bashes to celebrate successes and activities like Soul Cycle that we do as an office.

It is truly a meritocracy where you are able to be in control of your own future and move up very quickly in the organization. There is a lot of opportunity for growth. If you work hard you can be managing your own team in a couple of years.

You can tell that management cares about their employees by the level of time and commitment they give to them.

Cons

Consistent pressure to perform and the hours can be long.

Advice to Management

Keeping hiring like minded sales individuals that are looking to build careers and work hard.

3. "Great Career Vehicle"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is an environment where you are rewarded based on the results you deliver. If you have a good work ethic, persistence and a strong determination to succeed, you will thrive in this company. The training provided to new consultants is second to none in the industry, and the environment is one that promotes team work and recognition for accomplishment. If you perform, you will be rewarded with uncapped compensation, and considerable flexibility in your working hours and working arrangements. Whether you are a new grad starting off your career, or an established professional, this is a vehicle that will allow you to accomplish your goals if you are willing to invest in yourself and to be coach-able to the guidance and leadership that is available.

Cons

The company is a great career vehicle, but it isn't self driving.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a meritocratic environment and to offer all of the incentives, rewards, compensation and flexibility that is available to those who work for it and earn it. This will continue to attract the right caliber of person.

5. "Training and Development"

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been in the business just about a year now, and am already in a team lead position as a result of the merit based promotion environment the support that is provided. The thing that I have been most impressed with so far is the training and development that are provided. Hard work is rewarded and recognized and allows individuals to tangibly measure how close they are to promotions.

Cons

It is not a 9-5 but those who choose to work hard are rewarded for their efforts and performances.

6. "Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunities to for career growth
    - Renowned and continuous training and development
    - Frequent rewards (monetary and other) for succeeding
    - One of the best work cultures
    - Excellent commission structure, recruiting is a lucrative game to be in!

Cons

- Definitely, a fast-paced and competitive environment that isn't for everyone
    - You really get what you put in if you're not looking to work hard and push yourself to accomplish more then it won't be a good fit

Advice to Management

- Work from home every now and then

7. "Great opportunities, people and environment"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Michael Page has been a real pleasure. The training has been impeccable and my team has guided me through my first few months here, always looking out for me and making sure I am excelling. The people in the office are young, fun, friendly, and quickly becoming a family! The work is challenging but captivating and the days go by fast because of it. The company offers growth opportunities that I have not seen yet at any other company, and the pay is very good!

Cons

The days are long but understandable with the industry.

"Worst Place in the World to Work"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any Pros. The office is on the PATH? I'll give them location of the office.

Cons

This was the worst employment experience I have had. Sold me on a "flexible" environment and as soon as I started, told me I had to work from 8-6 and criticized me for leaving at 6. Also, micromanaged to no end- every hour in my calendar, counting phone minutes, going through my emails and candidates. Received an application at 7:30 after I went home, had an email from my manager the next day of a screen shot of my inbox saying "this could have been a hot candidate". Got to the point where I was asking candidates how their kids were/how their day was going for my minutes because I got all the information I needed which was so counterproductive. Consistently lying to candidates and clients. Immediately regretted leaving my previous position.

Advice to Management

A little something called work life balance... and TRUST your employees.

PageGroup Response

10 Nov, 2017 – Steve White, Senior Managing Director - Canada, Boston, Chicago

There are challenges and pressures working in any sales environment and I appreciate this doesn't suit everyone. We try to identify people who will thrive in recruitment by undertaking a thorough... More

9. "Huge growth opportunity."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michael Page is truly is a meritocracy. Everything from base salary and bonus to promotion is based on your performance. They have a lot of opportunities to grow within the company and if you work for it you can be managing others within your team within a couple of years. You can tell than the management cares about the employees and it shows in the benefit and incentive package.

Cons

Hours are long and the job can feel redundant if you don't keep in mind the career development and progression.

10. "Great Sales Culture with work-life balance!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sales Environment- you get what you put in
    Above market compensation with tangible bonus targets
    Great office culture
    Work Life Balance is better than most sales environments

Cons

Not for those who don't want to be in a sales environment

11. "Great Career Progression"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved to Toronto over a year ago and met most of the larger recruitment agencies in town. I had 8 years of Agency recruitment experience and was very clear on what I wanted in my next role - Career Progression, to work with great people and a winning culture. A year on, I am now heading up one of the fastest growing and successful divisions and working with great people

Like all Recruitment jobs, you only get out of it what you get into it. However, working with PageGroup has given me the support to excel my career, make great money, work with talented people and build a business.

Cons

We could be better with our systems use and our processes

Advice to Management

Continue to hire like-minded, driven and dedicated people.