PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • not ideal for work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• No one is making you work long hours except yourself (in 154 reviews)

1. "Huge growth opportunity."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michael Page is truly is a meritocracy. Everything from base salary and bonus to promotion is based on your performance. They have a lot of opportunities to grow within the company and if you work for it you can be managing others within your team within a couple of years. You can tell than the management cares about the employees and it shows in the benefit and incentive package.

Cons

Hours are long and the job can feel redundant if you don't keep in mind the career development and progression.

2. "Great Sales Culture with work-life balance!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sales Environment- you get what you put in
    Above market compensation with tangible bonus targets
    Great office culture
    Work Life Balance is better than most sales environments

Cons

Not for those who don't want to be in a sales environment

3. "Great Career Progression"

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved to Toronto over a year ago and met most of the larger recruitment agencies in town. I had 8 years of Agency recruitment experience and was very clear on what I wanted in my next role - Career Progression, to work with great people and a winning culture. A year on, I am now heading up one of the fastest growing and successful divisions and working with great people

Like all Recruitment jobs, you only get out of it what you get into it. However, working with PageGroup has given me the support to excel my career, make great money, work with talented people and build a business.

Cons

We could be better with our systems use and our processes

Advice to Management

Continue to hire like-minded, driven and dedicated people.

5. "Best in class in the industry but need some improvements"

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent training.
    - Great internal culture : only internal promotion, international career opportunities
    - Good compensation for those who get promoted faster
    - Good benefits :healthcare and hollidays

Cons

- IT support and Recruitment application is a nightmare
    - Flexibility: the system can not allow us to work outside the office
    - Even if recruitment is a very competitive market where we have to stay focus and close to the business, support your employees with continuous training after their 1st year within the company.

Advice to Management

- Use modern technology : smart applications,
    - Invest in a more modern and friendly work environment

6. "Work hard, Play hard... what for?"

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenge, Career Development, Training, Fun, holidays, insurance

Cons

Management does not care about individual, employees are not considered and have no benefit for their well-being at work, office environment.
    They expect employees to work hard but they do nothing to reward them or support them.
    No flexibility @ work, not tech savvy. We are in 2016 and they still work as in the 90"s!!

Advice to Management

Start considering and listening to your employees otherwise you will loose all of them. People management is an important skill that is missing today. A leader must inspire and be respected.

7. "Take it and leave it"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great school of business
    - Surrounded by sharks, so you learn how to survive
    - You can make some good money when you start your career
    - Good benefits

Cons

- Call center environment
    - Make money, always more money but not enough money
    - work hard, play hard (#NOT)
    - Babysited by managers doing micromanagement
    - Part time cofee

Advice to Management

If you want to survive in this business, not as profitable company but as growing company make your people happy, treat them as an asset not like babies.

"A tough but fair assessment of Michael Page"

Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews that I absolutely disagree with and I think there should be a few facts that need to be outlined.

I had the opportunity to work with some incredibly high caliber and high potential people during my time at MP Toronto. The environment is fast paced and incredibly competitive. There is structured growth opportunity, despite some limitations which I will touch on below. The training is (in my opinion) BEST in the recruitment industry. Managers and directors certainly lead by example by staying latest in the office and outperforming others. The prestige, recognition, and glory of success at MP lived up to the hype the incentive trips. Lots of negative reviews below is likely coming from former consultants who were (no offence) bottom feeders and simply couldn't keep up in a competitive environment. I sense a lot of entitlement from these reviews but then again MP prefers to hire young millennials who enjoy complaining.

Overall the best part about working at Michael Page were the people. Everyone who walked through the door were driven, team players, down to earth, and fit the company culture incredibly well. Steve never hired a dud.

Cons

Turnover is stupidly high even for a recruitment company. MP offers a relatively high base (especially after promotions) but low commissions. This creates a conundrum because low performers are in constant fear of getting fired and top performers realize they can be earning double at a competitor. When MP loses good talent it's usually because they realize they're not earning as much as they deserve to and rightfully so.

The other reason consultants quit is work/life balance. You will not see many consultants who are married with children because it's not possible. You're expected to be in the office at 8 latest, and expected to be sitting in your desk (unless client visit) until 630-7. No exceptions. 4 weeks vacation is nice but very few people take advantage of it. Recruitment is definitely not a 9-5 job but many people recognize the lack of work/life balance at MP and unfortunately don't see themselves working at MP long term. This is a shame because my colleagues including myself never had time to engage in extracurricular activities during the weekdays.

MP emphasizes hiring the best salespeople but in reality it's not really a full time sales job. It's sales AND delivery which means day to day business development activites can range from 50% to as low as 20% of their time and the rest of it is spent on sourcing/recruitment. Being a good recruiter on the other hand involves more than salesmanship. It's the ability to be organized, persistent, work long hours, and actually assess if candidate is right for the job. It's literally 2 different jobs in 1 and you simply can't do one without the other to be successful. I found that people struggled with juggling these 2 functions as some would be a better salesperson than recruiter, vice versa. This also created a problem with managing existing accounts because MP does not really train on nurturing accounts. Just how to get new business. Its a shame because top performers make most of their placements from key accounts but they tend to figure that out themselves over time.

Advice to Management

1. Invest in (more) sourcers. Let sales people do their jobs and spend more time selling and being infront of clients.
    2. Establish an accelerator commission model.
    3. Give HR more power to influence org and cultural changes. You guys are terrible with change management.
    4. Less industry diversification. Focus/dominate markets that are profitable. Cross selling doesn't seem to work.
    5. Encourage consultants to go to the gym during lunch or take longer lunches. Don't indirectly coerce them to each their lunch at their desks.
    6. Keep up the good work.

PageGroup Response

27 Apr, 2016 – Steve White, Senior Managing Director - Canada, Boston, Chicago

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time at PageGroup.

I would like to highlight some of the areas of improvement which we’ve delivered. As you’ve mentioned we did previously... More

9. "If you work hard you'll do well"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON

Pros

Supportive management
    Opportunity for very fast career progression
    Close office, a lot of fun, great culture
    Fantastic training
    If you do your job you have the opportunity to make a great salary and move up quickly

Cons

It's sales so your fate is dependent on yourself. If you work hard, and listen you will do well, otherwise it could be difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your people!

PageGroup Response

19 Apr, 2016 – Steve White, Senior Managing Director - Canada, Boston, Chicago

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm very happy to see you are enjoying your career at PageGroup and have left such positive comments. I wish you the best of luck with your career... More

10. "Current Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to make good money if you hit targets which are made clear from the start. Excellent training which allows you do this if you take it seriously. Fun and competitive work environment for people willing to take accountability for their work and manage their time effectively. An increasingly flexible attitude to work/life balance (the changes I've seen in the past 5+ years have been vast). Different career paths which allow you to play to your strengths. Ability to move internationally is great, should you prove yourself and decide to take that route. I started off with people who now work in Australia, The UK, Taiwan, China, US and Dubai and I'd recommend this to anyone.

Cons

There are jobs out there with shorter working hours. Luckily I did my homework before entering the industry and it seemed logical that you would have to be available to speak to people before and after typical office hours. The people that are in early and leave late tend to be extremely happy and are paid well. This isn't a con - recruitment is extremely competitive, so just don't bother if you don't have a winning mentality. If you want to win, succeed and have fun along the way then you'll probably fit it. This is communicated clearly from the start.

Advice to Management

Changes have been made over the last 2 years to modernize the business which is evident. This has largely stemmed from upper management listening to employees, which they should continue to do so. I'm not sure management could be any clearer to potential employees in regards to the nature of the job and what the expectations are.

11. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON

Pros

Smart, fun and well rounded people are employed there. It's a work hard, play hard environment and the "play" is a lot of fun. Of course you can also make a lot of money if you're good, which is a huge plus.

Cons

It's hard work, long hours and pretty cut throat. You have to learn fast in order to survive!

Advice to Management

Be less cryptic. I wish people were more honest about 'where you stand' at any given time.