Pacific Dental Services Employee Reviews about "dentists"

Updated Apr 30, 2020

3.4
Pacific Dental Services President Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne
Pros
  • "I loved how I was able to work on a project that actual dentists could use in the field to positively impact their practice(in 49 reviews)

• "Training in CAD/CAM CEREC dentistry(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is so much turnover in management and associate dentists and false promises from the beginning(in 64 reviews)

• "Work life balance in some departments can be non existent(in 58 reviews)

Reviews about "dentists"

Return to all Reviews

"okay place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

great dentist, great patients, rewarding helping people

Cons

Lots of office gossip, no work life balance, terrible manager

"Money."

2.0
    Current Employee - Rather Not Disclose

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PDS offers benefits. The quality of dentistry provided varies widely depending on the dentist.

Cons

They occasionally realize that they are bleeding out staff and try to start a new initiative for staff retention. But the reality is that employees and contracting doctors don't feel like the corporation really cares about them. Employees are numbers--a means to profit. The company is actually starting a new push to force all employees, hygienists, doctors, everyone to pay the company for work they do on their own family. A hygienist will have to pay the company when she cleans her own child's teeth. A dentist has to pay the company when she performs an exam on her own son.

"Not what I expected"

Former Employee - Travel Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work Experience, Dentist, Modern Equipment, Locations

Cons

Profit before patients care or employee welfare!!

Continue reading

"Lack of Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

PDS participates in many charitable contributions

Cons

It honestly comes down to upper Management. May Regional Managers are hired from outside companies and have no knowledge of dentistry. Couple this with being an Operations Manager with no dental background and it's a mess. They hire those without dental experience which is a plus, but expect them to run million dollar practices with little training. If the RM is not supportive good luck. The hours expected to work are ridiculous and not conducive to a healthy family life. There is so much turnover in management and associate dentists and false promises from the beginning. Many times Operations Managers with little experience are put into an office and forced to "sink or swim". While they also offer training it is almost impossible to attend because there is no one to fill in for you in office.

Continue reading

"Very unethical dental practices"

2.0
    Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok place to start as a new dentist Cerec training Increase your speed Don't have to do tx you're not comfortable with - can refer

Cons

Need to up sell if your want to make money They tell you how you "need to dx more SRP's or Crowns" They only care about profits and not about pt care If you don't make your average daily production you have to pay back what you owe to the company No PTO or paid holidays Frequently need to work through lunch Poor mentorship, my OD is not very knowledgeable but this depends on your owner doc OD may take high productive treatment leaving you with scraps Associates get the worst insurance and owner doc always had the best. I would work twice as hard for half the pay Always out of supplies they are so focused on profit they regularly under order and you can be out of cement, gauze, bibs etc. We are ALL replaceable. Dentists are commodities CE classes they offer are all internal with the company and also brainwashing type classes about PDS Everything is about selling treatment and verbiage for patients to accept treatment they might not need High turnover

Pacific Dental Services Response

December 6, 2019People Services

We're concerned about your perception of our company. We want you to know that we're listening, and we're doing everything we can to address the feedback of our team members. In recent months, we renewed our commitment to making PDS-supported practices healthier, happier places to work. This includes providing leadership training throughout the company, addressing performance concerns where needed, and enhancing the benefits offered to all eligible team members. Associate dentists at PDS enjoy a full set of benefits that varies for full time team members in eligible roles. Please email us at welisten@pacden.com or reach out to your People Services representative if you would like to voice a concern or learn more about your benefits. As we continue our work as leaders in the dental industry, we remain steadfast in our belief that honesty, integrity, and character are vital to the health of our organization. Additionally, our PDS-supported practices provide the highest quality, patient-centric care. PDS-supported clinicians strive to educate their patients about the link between oral health and whole-body health, or what our organization refers to as The Mouth-Body Connection. This whole-body approach to patient care includes comprehensive periodontal treatment as well as other treatments that help patients become healthier and happier, such as the SRPs and crowns you mentioned. We'd like to affirm that our supported dental practices offer state of the art, same-day dentistry and multiple treatment choices as a way to expand access to care for patients with busy schedules and emerging oral health care needs. By providing this comprehensive access to care, our supported clinicians are presenting the best dentistry possible to each and every patient.

"Terrible for Associates, Great for company and owners"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Denver, CO

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free CE, Get to work with new technology

Cons

You are a dental salesman, not a dentist at PDS supported offices. Pay is based on how much you sell, not the quality of your work. As an associate, you will often have to do follow ups for other doctors because they are too busy doing production work. The company will push you to sell "upgraded" (more expensive) crowns, laser treatments for periodontal disease, and oral DNA testing which isn't covered by insurance plans. We had multiple training sessions alone on how to sell oral DNA testing. The line that "the average PDS supported dentist makes $160,000 to $390,000" that appears in all of their job listings also includes owner doctors who take the majority the practice revenue. Don't expect to make anywhere near that amount of money as an associate. Associate compensation is based on how much you sell, so you have "unlimited earning potential." In reality, there will be days where you will walk home with near minimum wage salary, when your owner decided that you had to do a bunch of HMO exams and cleanings for no production (ie no sales). There is no PTO and you'll have to work most holidays including Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. In summary, associate dentist positions with PDS are extremely high risk positions, especially for recent graduates. There is a possibility that you can end up in a good office. There is a greater possibility that if you don't sell enough, take a sick day, or get a bad review that you will be terminated. PDS offices go through associate dentists extremely quickly. I worked with 3 different associates in the same office over an eight month period.

"Depends on the Owner Dentist."

Current Employee - Dentist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Completely Depends on The Owner Dentist. Can be an incredible opportunity/experience or a poor one. They will invest a ton into their teams. No matter what you will learn how to talk to patients and get treatment acceptance.

Cons

Hours are offset and if you’re with a young team it can be tough teaching dental assistants, that comes with the territory though.

"Never."

Former Employee - Senior Dentist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

SIGH. so much potential lost in ego mania

Cons

Dentist/Owner (Former Employee), California – October 10, 2019 Not a place for doctors! They treat you like dudu regional managers, oms thrive here! Dentists dont. Its a cult. Dont waste your education. Limit space

9. "Awesome experience!"

Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services for less than a year

Pros

I loved how I was able to work on a project that actual dentists could use in the field to positively impact their practice. I felt very valued during my internship.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

"So Grateful to work for Pacific Dental Services"

Current Employee - Dentist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was a 30 year private practice dentist when I moved to California and was hired by PDS. I have come to see soo many pros to this forward thinking company that I would never go back. to private practice. The support professionally is unrivaled. Exposure to new technology and training was so amazing Support by the company and my professional peers during medical challenge I went through was invaluable. Had I been in private practice I would have been in serious jeopardy on many levels. The management team and founder have developed an entity that describes how I see dentistry for the next generations of dentists and I feel fortunate to be a part of it

Cons

Not so many cons after 10 years . What I originally saw as cons, have become common sense practices and procedures that are necessary to move forward with this type of organization

Found 105 reviews