Pacific Dental Services Employee Reviews about "dentistry"

Updated Jun 8, 2020

3.4
Pacific Dental Services President Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne
Pros
  • "I loved how I was able to work on a project that actual dentists could use in the field to positively impact their practice(in 49 reviews)

• "Training in CAD/CAM CEREC dentistry(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is so much turnover in management and associate dentists and false promises from the beginning(in 64 reviews)

• "Work life balance in some departments can be non existent(in 58 reviews)

Reviews about "dentistry"

Return to all Reviews

"Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are great. My doctors were great. Coming from retail, this gave me nights off(my office closes at 7pm)

Cons

Long days for managers. I have never seen a bonus and I hate “selling dentistry”. Healthcare shouldn’t need to be sold. Worst part is employees have worse dental coverage than most people’s insurance plans.

Continue reading

"Great Environment; You Own Your Success."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No matter the role you are considering at PDS or a PDS-supported practice, you should proceed only if you intend to go all-in. The PDS Platform is a well-oiled machine. You will thrive and succeed in this structured environment, if you embrace it. PDS nationally and regionally invests heavily in continuing education, clinical education, job training and career advancement, but they won't hold your hand - you must own your success. You will find more operational and financial data than you could ever imagine. To the untrained eye, it will seem like a daunting, complex, profit-driven platform, but when you dig deeper, starting with the "why," you will learn the unparalleled value in having this wealth of information at your finger tips. You can embrace it, learn from it, and use it to your advantage to help you and your team better serve patients; or, you can let the data hold you back.

Cons

Due to growth, you will encounter a variety of folks - very seasoned, experienced professionals; very green, novice people who are new to dentistry; and, everyone in between. Be thankful for their perspectives. You won't be on an island - you'll be a part of a large community. Leverage that collective knowledge and be about it. Nothing will be handed to you. You have to perform for reward. If you're hungry with an open mind, this is your ticket.

Continue reading
  3. "Great mentorship and room to grow for new grads"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Clinical mentorship. Training in CAD/CAM CEREC dentistry. Training and engagement in patient treatment plan acceptance

Cons

high turnover. feeling "pushed" do refer only to in-house specialists and do 100% CEREC crowns. Sketchy employment contract and compensation structure for AD's.

Pacific Dental Services Response

March 3, 2020People Services

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is valuable as we are constantly looking for new and innovative ways to provide our supported clinicians with the resources they need to provide the best dentistry possible.

"Money."

2.0
    Current Employee - Rather Not Disclose
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PDS offers benefits. The quality of dentistry provided varies widely depending on the dentist.

Cons

They occasionally realize that they are bleeding out staff and try to start a new initiative for staff retention. But the reality is that employees and contracting doctors don't feel like the corporation really cares about them. Employees are numbers--a means to profit. The company is actually starting a new push to force all employees, hygienists, doctors, everyone to pay the company for work they do on their own family. A hygienist will have to pay the company when she cleans her own child's teeth. A dentist has to pay the company when she performs an exam on her own son.

Continue reading

"Lack of Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

PDS participates in many charitable contributions

Cons

It honestly comes down to upper Management. May Regional Managers are hired from outside companies and have no knowledge of dentistry. Couple this with being an Operations Manager with no dental background and it's a mess. They hire those without dental experience which is a plus, but expect them to run million dollar practices with little training. If the RM is not supportive good luck. The hours expected to work are ridiculous and not conducive to a healthy family life. There is so much turnover in management and associate dentists and false promises from the beginning. Many times Operations Managers with little experience are put into an office and forced to "sink or swim". While they also offer training it is almost impossible to attend because there is no one to fill in for you in office.

"Ignorant Operations Managers"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate Dentist

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers and OD were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

I have never felt so disrespected and discriminated against until I worked at PDS. We got a new egotistical operations manager who previously worked at a car rental place, worlds away from dentistry. He had the audacity to sit me down and tell me that I needed his PERMISSION to leave the office. He said that I had to tell him where I was going during my free time and he would be the judge of whether it was ok or not. I would understand if I was paid by the hour, but I’m not. I would have huge gaps in my schedule due to lack of patients. I told him that I did not want to just waste my time sitting in the cold break room while I wait for my patient to arrive HOURS later. I tried to compromise with this corporate goonie by explaining that if I’m needed for an emergency walk-in patient he could simply text me and I’ll be there before the X-rays are even taken because I’m normally just at the Target in the same shopping center as the office or in my car. Of course his ego was too large to compromise and he refused to let me leave the office without getting his permission first. He said that I could do OFFICE WORK when I’m not seeing patients. That is HIS job that he is paid for, not mine. Plus, everyone in the office leaves to run errands when there are no patients, yet only I was reprimanded for this and supposed to bow down to his ruling. I quit that very day. HR attempted to contact me regarding it, but gave me a phone number that had a full voicemail. I called several times and she NEVER picked up. I even emailed her to schedule a time to talk about it and she did not respond with a time. HR clearly wanted to create a facade that they care, but clearly don’t. Stay away from PDS if you don’t wish to be a slave to corporate goonies that know nothing about dentistry and only care about numbers.

Continue reading

"So Grateful to work for Pacific Dental Services"

Current Employee - Dentist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was a 30 year private practice dentist when I moved to California and was hired by PDS. I have come to see soo many pros to this forward thinking company that I would never go back. to private practice. The support professionally is unrivaled. Exposure to new technology and training was so amazing Support by the company and my professional peers during medical challenge I went through was invaluable. Had I been in private practice I would have been in serious jeopardy on many levels. The management team and founder have developed an entity that describes how I see dentistry for the next generations of dentists and I feel fortunate to be a part of it

Cons

Not so many cons after 10 years . What I originally saw as cons, have become common sense practices and procedures that are necessary to move forward with this type of organization

Continue reading

"Great Company! Great leadership and training! Great benefits!"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

They provide all of the resources for you to succeed. Lots of training and support from regional and national team all the time. Everybody is a hard worker starting from the employees with "high tittles" which makes you realize we have to work as a team with no exception. Managers and regional mangers listen to your concerns and recognize the work you are doing for your office. Company has lots of charity donations, including building wells in Africa and pay us 16 hours of volunteer work a year, helping you to help others in need. Go on PDS website and read the "We Believe" which is our core. Our goal is to provide the best experience to every patient in every visit. Have been working in one of PDS offices for 3 months and loving it! I have been a Dental Assistant for over 9 years and never thought that I would still learn so much in dentistry with so much of excitement.

Cons

Overtime. Dental assistants have to be in the office 30-45 earlier and some times have shorter lunch break. But, for those who likes the extra money, this is actually not so bad.

"Don't do it"

1.0

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

cerec training free trip to california for training for 1 wk Benefits are ok

Cons

Everything else..forget your ethics here.. you will never make over that guarantee. Especially with insurances accepted. daily production goals to meet....a patient is an "opportunity". managers (office and regional) telling you how to tx plan and role play with you on how to "sell" dentistry. I DON'T SEE THEIR DENTAL DEGREE ON THE WALL?

"Operations Manager"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Great training program, really helps you to understand how to be successful.

Cons

Very focused on sales, felt like I was selling dentistry much of the time.

Found 68 reviews