Pacific Dental Services Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 12 December, 2018

3.1
Stephen Thorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "My work life balance has vastly improved since switching" (in 18 reviews)

• "There's also a lot of opportunity to give back to the community within the company which I think is really special as well" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be difficult at times" (in 49 reviews)

• "Upper management does not like the honest truth on how to fix things" (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"General Dentist"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - General Dentist in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I initially had reservations working for PDS due to the corporate reputation. However, I am so glad I did. PDS has exceeded every expectation I’ve had. As a dentist, I am solely able to focus on my dentistry. I do not have to worry about insurance, hiring/firing employees, marketing, etc. Before PDS, I worked in private practice. My work life balance has vastly improved since switching. Other pros include the amount of free C.E. at my disposable, which is usually very expensive. There is full benefits (medical, vision, 401k, etc) which is unheard of in private practice. I am so happy I took a chance with PDS because it has brought my career to the next level.

Cons

Occasionally open extended hours (7PM) and Saturdays. However, I worked these hours in private practice as well.

2. "Associate Dentist"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work, Life, Balance is great. Good income with lots of CE

Cons

Too much patient, heavy workload

3. "Regional auditor"

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got Time off when needed

Cons

Upper management sucked ; lack of upward mobility

4. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Lots of potential to grow if you put the effort in.

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult at times.

"Lead Dental Asst"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer online classes and all the basics that come with a full time job.

Cons

They over load the schedule and don't have full staff to support the type of schedule they create. They put systems in place that cause more time but then get on you for the extra time. They are a very religious company. Expect god to come up more than it should in a work environment. The dental asst's chairs are the worst for your body. No locking arm for proper support. They do not check the quality of work they hire as Dentists. They run 5 day and some times 6 day work weeks. The benefits are not the greatest, you can only get your dental work done by PDS, so you better like the quality of work coming from there. Such a packed schedule there isnt enough time to build a good relationship. Everything is rushed through. You are working too close to the holidays to actually make plans with your own family.

Advice to Management

Get better chairs for your assistants. Take the time to make sure you are hiring Dr's with good quality work. Staff your locations correctly or adapt the schedule to respect your patients and staffs time and quality of work. Employees need proper time off around holidays for travel and to take time for their own families. They should not have to feel pressured to work because your bottom line and the money matters more than your employees personal lives.

6. "Just ok."

Current Employee - Lead Dental Assistant
    Current Employee - Lead Dental Assistant

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Benefits, opportunities to move up or around.

Cons

Very focused on the “numbers”. Negativity from management, things are never good enough.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees for their hard work other than their bonuses they really have no control over(assistants). You’re a 1-2 billion dollar company, you can afford to treat your employees to lunch or even a gift card if they’ve been working hard. Encourage and pay for more team building growth and activities. Understand your staff when they tell you something with the schedule doesn’t work- it’s not all about the numbers and money! You’re stepping over dollars for dimes.

7. "Associate Dentist"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mentorship, Nice office, Great staff

Cons

Compensation, not much to say here other than that

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with Associate Dentist Average Daily Production before hiring.

8. "The things that happen here are despicable"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dental benefits are amazing, most people are quite helpful and like their job

Cons

Health insurance is not great, ethics are questionable, the “charity” isn’t real, super religious, consistent difficulties with tech, few days off compared to other companies

Advice to Management

You should remain unbiased to workers of all ages.
    Steve Thorne: it is easier for a camel to enter the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get into heaven. Get rid of your private jet until all of your workers are making a living wage.

Pacific Dental Services Response

14 Dec, 2018 – People Services

From one Pacific Dental Services employee to another, we’re very concerned about your perception of our company. We want you to know that we’re listening, and we’re doing everything we can to address... More

"Management at PDS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really great people at PDS. I enjoyed working with my team and building the relationships/friendships we had.

Cons

There is blatant favoritism at this company. Certain people get perks that other employees don't and their managers do nothing to hide it. It creates dissension and resentment among the rest of the team. It turns a great team into a weak, non-functional group of people. Very unfortunate.

Additionally, people who don't have the experience, maturity, professionalism or skills to be managers are promoted into leadership positions. It makes, what could be a good working environment, a very unhappy one.

PDS is so focused on making a profit they keep a very lean staff. The entire company is overworked. Many employees complain about the hours they are required to put in. Salaried employees work around the clock. It's awful.

Advice to Management

The owner needs to take a look at what's going on in the company. Managers need management training classes. The company needs to train people who have no management skills and stop promoting people just because they like them. They make horrible leaders. A very inconsistently run company with many flaws in their business model.

10. "Operations Manager"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Great training program, really helps you to understand how to be successful.

Cons

Very focused on sales, felt like I was selling dentistry much of the time.