Pacific Blue Cross Reviews

3.3
Pacific Blue Cross President and CEO John Crawford
John Crawford
Pros
Cons
  • "of the type of data that PBC handles(in 8 reviews)

• "Politics and clashes in a heavily unionized environment make for a negative work environment that I would hesitate to recommend(in 8 reviews)

1. "Awesome organization & equally amazing people"

Former Employee - Manager, Information Security in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Agile adoption has helped IT & Business to work closely Amazing cross functional teams & enthusiasm

Cons

Things may seem a bit slow but that would be because - of the type of data that PBC handles - regulations that need to be taken into account - all relevant stakeholders need to be cosidered

2. "Claims examiner"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

- union - easy work - decent pay

Cons

You start at the lowest of seniority as there are a lot of people ahead of you

June 18, 2020

Thank you for providing comments about your experience working at PBC. The foundation of PBC 80 years ago included a group of medical professionals and union members that wanted to make a strong health care option in BC. Fast forward 80 years and we now have many unionized roles and non-unionized roles that candidates can apply for. We promote staff from within when able, and continue to have success promoting over 40 staff last year.

3. "An organization that cares"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

PBC possesses a good number of reasons to be a preferred organization to work. Its leadership team is very much committed and caring. The environment is healthy and people are cooperative. Their HR team gave me quite a great support during my recruitment process. I found them very sincere while replying to all of my queries and concerns. Its office building is in a serene location which makes it my favorite place to work.

Cons

I am too new to find the cons of an organization and I am liking every day.

June 18, 2020

Thank you for providing some background about your new role with PBC. For our staff, we have a great referral plan that allows staff to be paid for bringing strong contacts within their network to work for us. Keep this in mind as a great way to earn extra money and to have people work at PBC that you think would be a great fit. We want to continue to build a team that is committed to our members health.

4. "PBC"

Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, onsite gym & cafeteria

Cons

Union vs exempt culture. Difficult to advance. Lower than average pay for some jobs

June 18, 2020

It is great to get this feedback! Thank you. PBC continues to look for ways to engage our employees with meaningful additions to the workplace. Our strong benefit plans, onsite facilities, and the current work from home ability are key items for our staff. We also offer the opportunity for staff to join committees that make a difference in the community (health and safety along with diversity committees are two great options to join).

5. "Glass Ceiling"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really great work/life balance

Cons

Although benefits are good, pay is well below the market rate and strangely not disclosed at the beginning of the interview process. The lack of transparency during the interview stage is also a bit strange. I found it odd that the recruiter made me call him for the initial call. Growth opportunities really don’t exist. Politics and clashes in a heavily unionized environment make for a negative work environment that I would hesitate to recommend.

June 18, 2020

Thank you for this feedback. Through doing market analysis, PBC ensures that salaries are within the competitive range of our market area. We will continue to review salary structures on an ongoing basis to ensure that we remain competitive and can provide a top of the line benefits plan as a not-for-profit organization.

6. "No career development, no future"

1.0
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Workload is not heavy kind of work-life balance

Cons

One thing I really don't like there is the political atmosphere. The management team only care about if you could finish the projects, but never cares about employees' career development. The company's data system fell behind a lot, leading to tons of manual work, which can be handled by everyone. Why do they want an actuary to do such kind of work?

7. "Going Downhill."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent wages and benefits. Cafeteria.

Cons

Management unaccountable. Union unsupportive.

Continue reading
  8. "I do not recommend this place"

Former Employee - Non-union Staff
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pacific Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some work life balance

Cons

Union vs management mentality creates a toxic work environment. Promotions and hiring is based on “who you know / who are you friends with” and not on merit. Very low wages as opposed to industry standards

February 5, 2020

PBC has a lot of flexibility in how to grow a career within the organizaiton. We have many unionized roles that have a great structure for advancement and allow employees to move up based on what they have learned in their role and the continued education that they take on. As a not-for-profit organization, PBC has put together compensation, benefits, paid vacation and pension contributions that are standard within the lower mainland while being able to directly impact the health an wellbeing of members across BC.

"Mostly Positive"

Current Employee - N/A in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Start Time Convenient Location Mostly Friendly Staff

Cons

No Flex Schedule for Exempt Staff No Work from Home Policy Culture, Direction and Team Building are Lacking Very Pro Union

February 5, 2020

It is always great to get feedback from staff about how to increase the engagement level at work. Having flexible start time, a gret location, great staff, a work place with a lot of great amenities like a fitness centre, cafeteria, sit-stand desks, fitness classes all help to create a great work environment. We're always looking to increase the engagement level and looking at a work from home option is an area that will be looked into further.

10. "Politics trumps all"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Architect

I worked at Pacific Blue Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good health and dental benefits

Cons

Certain contractors can get away with any sort of behavior, bullying and incompetency due to their contacts in the organization.

Found 97 reviews