PVA Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Mar 20, 2020

3.8
PVA Consulting Group Founders Normand Parisella and  Philip Vincelli
Normand Parisella and Philip Vincelli
  1. "Great place to work if you are fully dedicated and smart"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at PVA Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PVA encourages work/life balance Competitive salary and benefits package The company helps you grow and advance your career Strong support from the whole team and upper management

Cons

Management consulting is Very challenging and demanding Travel can be difficult, but you get a travel day

March 30, 2020Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review! We continue to strive to be the best resource for our employees and encourage you to get in touch at communications@pva.ca should you have any questions or concerns.

"Egos at work"

1.0

I worked at PVA Consulting Group

Pros

The operations team when left alone can deliver on the project deliverables. Lots of time they put it on their shoulders and make things happen but they know how to deliver

Cons

Once you look behind the curtain of management every decision at PVA is made to satisfy the ego of the 2 partners. They let some senior and experienced people go over next to nothing in commissions, they’ve cost more work because in their mind they have a better relationship with the clients than the people who see them everyday. They have to be the ones to sell and settle on price. There is no trust with anyone but the 2 partners

March 30, 2020

As a Director and a returning member with PVA I would like to share my personal experiences and respond to some of your comments. Let me start by thanking you for recognizing how well our operations teams at PVA proudly deliver on our promises to our clients. I am sorry though to hear about your views and experiences regarding the partners. True-the partners are still actively involved in the business. However as for your opinion on lack of trust, as Director, with project responsibilities , I can personally attest that that has not been my experience. My team and I are responsible for everything from project lay-out and strategies to building client relationships and subsequent business development. The Senior Partner in charge of Operations, as is his role, asks that I provide a project plan, and I subsequently communicate on progress mostly as I see fit. As for project delivery I work directly with my team and report to a Senior VP. My team is wholly responsible and accountable for meeting client targets and believe me is not done under some watchful eye from the Partners. I am also expected to provide insights on areas where we can assist my clients with additional assistance and added value. I unlike your comments do not sense egos at work but rather that our values based on achieving results and a client-centric approach are key to our ongoing success Along the way we probably crossed paths and it is unfortunate that you did not get the chance to build your career at PVA as you had hoped, but many others do. As part of the team that has responsibility for staff development I am proud of our work as well as our retention levels I too have worked with companies where a perfect fit did not exist for me and I know how frustrating that is. Best of luck with finding an employer that will fulfill all your aspirations

3. "Over two decades of delivering to our clients"

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

After more than two decades with PVA, I am still proud to be a part of a firm that continues to deliver results to our clients while at the same time never over promising to our prospects. We have continued to refine and improve our approach over the years while maintaining our foundation of front-line training and coaching which remains as one of our key causes for sustained success and true business transformation. We have a great group of dedicated long tenured employees who continue to provide top tier consulting advice and support to our clients.

Cons

The lifestyle and urgency to deliver (we have commitments and due dates that we must meet) may not fit everyone. That is expected and we do our best to manage this during the hiring process with very clear and transparent communications.

March 30, 2020Communications Specialist

We thank you for your review and constructive feedback!

4. "First Year Experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

PVA is constantly recruiting the top talents from various backgrounds to reflect the wide range of industries they provided services to. I was originally unsure of how I would fit in with PVA when I was recruited because my background and education was not that of a “typical management consultant”. However, it quickly became apparent that PVA’s current recruitment strategy is designed to create multidisciplinary teams in order to provide the best solutions for the clients they serve and to keep pace with an evolving business environment. The PMs I have worked with thus far have been extremely experienced and dedicated not only to the client’s success, but my career development within the company. I have benefited greatly from the mentorship program where I have learned from the very best in the industry and their decades of consulting experience. PVA has a proven methodology that is customizable to meet unique client needs. Developing PVA skills and combining them with my own has allowed me to make valuable contributions to aid in our client’s success and deliver the results promised. PVA does not “over-promise” to the client during the assessment, which can make a consultant’s job extremely difficult. Engagement deliverables and targets are very reasonable and PVA has a proven track record on delivering what they promise to clients, which is why the client referral rate is extremely high. There is a great team environment at PVA. We often go for weekly team dinners or pot-luck meetings at the homes of senior team members, which I find adds a nice personal touch to the team building experience. Constantly learning and developing new skills. Introduced to a wide range of industries. The Travel Day Program is unique to PVA and really helps manage work-life balance. Great bonus structure that is focused on client success. It is also easy to attain because targets are reasonable and always achieved. There has been constant continuous improvement within PVA since I joined and even as a junior member of the team, I have been involved in revamping the onboarding and training process as well as customizing the methodology/process and materials for clients. I definitely feel that management has been responsive to my suggestions. My starting salary was higher than I was expecting based on what I had heard/researched.

Cons

The first couple of months can be a bit overwhelming. I joined in the middle of a project, so there was a steep learning curve in the beginning, which added to the already long days. Lots of travel, but again this is mitigated by Travel Day Program, decent vacation structure and allotted sick days (if required). Also, you will rack up considerable travel points to pay for those vacations! Medical benefits and RSP matching aren’t the greatest. No dental benefits. But bonus structure definitely makes up for this. PVA has been constantly improving and evolving since I joined and I have noticed some growing pains. Some of the “old guard” has been unable to adapt, which I think is reflected in some of the negative reviews here. I personally think this is a positive – you can’t lead change management and be afraid of change!

Continue reading

"Fast Evolving Career Place!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Their Travel Day Off policy offers a better worklife balance than most Consulting Companies. Compensation and bonus (actually paid) are very competitive on the market.

Cons

The weekly travel can become exhausting at times, but is part of the job!

September 11, 2019Communications Specialist

We thank you for your review! We are always striving to achieve best practices to maintain good career-life balance here at PVA. If you have any questions, please email communications@pva.ca.

"My experience at PVA"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at PVA Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Travelling all the time and I mean every single week 5 days a week - not sure if this is a pro?

Cons

bureaucratic enterprise: A small company with unapproachable management set on their old way of doing things. outdated consulting practices not kept up with the time. Worst management style of my career.

September 11, 2019Communications Specialist

We're very sorry to hear about your experience. We use best practices and always ascertain flex time for our talent. We have a track record of employees that have stayed within our organization for well over two decades and always value work life balance. There is also a learning curve within our business and always encourage newbies to be patient with themselves through this process. Best of luck with your career going forward and we wish you all the success!

"Consultant"

4.0

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group full-time

Pros

PVA recruits top talent to get the job done and it makes work that much easier to perform with good colleagues. PVA has employed a travel day policy which is good to combat the extensive travel requirements for the job.

Cons

No stand out Cons. Job is demanding and demands lot of all round skill to succeed but the rewards are there to be earned. So it balances out.

September 11, 2019Communications Specialist

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write about your experience at PVA Consulting Group! The feedback is very important.

"Okay place to start"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boisbriand, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at PVA Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

PVA is a good company to start this particular type of consulting. You will be exposed to all sorts of industries and meet all sorts of people along the way. The methodologies you learn will prove helpful throughout your career. If you have ever wanted fly first class, you may get a chance if you stick around with the company long enough. The points and status earned with all the travel involved are an added bonus. If you are able to manage the frequent travel and fulfill your obligations in driving the required results, the company will likely give you a promotion within a very reasonable time period. The company also offers a travel day that is not as common in the industry.

Cons

The travel involved is not for everyone, especially when you are required to work stupid hours. During an analysis of a project, you can work up to 70 hours plus travel. If you are new with the company, you are more likely to do night shifts, if required by the project. Because of the demands of the job, there is a decent turnover of new consultants (and apparently some more seasoned ones as of late). I found some of the "veteran" consultants resourceful and easy to get along with, with some of the others it was the complete opposite. I guess the latter happens in all work places, but it really rubs you the wrong way even more when you are on the road 100%. There is nothing worse than getting blasted for some trivial reason when you are hundreds of km's away from home and you are just trying to do your best with the least amount of sleep. The salary offered is under industry standard, but I believe other benefits are offered to mask this. If you are looking for a warm and friendly place to work, this may not be your place. The company is result driven and client focused, consultants (especially new ones) come later. It has had some success with this approach over the years, so it is unlikely it will change. Just know that going in, it will help.

June 14, 2017Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review. Indeed, our travel day is not common within the industry, and we believe it is among the many reasons as to why we have one of the highest tenure of employees and retention rate of Senior staff in the industry, with the average VP holding over two decades of expertise in the field, acquired primarily from having been a valued member of the PVA team. The latter is a great source of pride for our firm and we will continue to uphold successful retention. Additionally, the hours you mentioned are not typical, and PVA recognizes the investment and effort that these particular challenges require from our employees. That is precisely why we offer flex vacation time, as well as a highly competitive salary, opposite to the note you provided. If you have further inquiries and wish to have any clarification about our above industry average salary and bonus structure, please feel free to get in touch with humanresources@pva.ca, and we can shed more light on the matter. Thank you once again for your input and we appreciate the note about our brand refresh! Have a great day.

"Director"

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group

Pros

I have spent the majority of my career with PVA, starting as an entry level consultant over 20 years ago to my current role as Director of Operations. Working for this firm has had many rewards including job fulfillment and financial stability. I get up each day looking forward to helping our clients by delivering on our promises and solving complex problems and issues. PVA is extremely loyal to their employees and ensures efforts and results are recognized and rewarded. I am most proud of watching the professional growth of my fellow colleagues as they become world class advisers to the clients we are proud to serve.

Cons

Travel requirements may be difficult for some.(lifestyle)

March 20, 2017Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased to see that you highlighted the opportunity to grow and learn while here at PVA Consulting Group. We are always looking at ways to invest in our staff, to grow their skills and provide exciting opportunities within the organization. We are proud to say that our commitment to the client experience is leveraged by our talented employees. Thank you again for your contribution to our success.

"PVA invests in its people"

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to move quickly within the organization. Internal communication has steadily improved since the last 5 years. The company cares about its people and offers a great work life balance

Cons

Some changes can be slow to implement

March 20, 2017Communications Specialist

We thank you for your valuable input and your note on change implementation. Changes in an organization are always dependent on its successful integration into the corporate culture, and thus may seem, at first, slow to implement. As such, we will continue providing open and honest communications to our colleagues and will always encourage equally open feedback from our employees.

Found 29 reviews