PNI Digital Media Reviews

Updated Sep 28, 2021

Found 103 of over 112 reviews

3.6
PNI Digital Media VP and General Manager Simon Cairns (no image)
Simon Cairns
Pros
  • "Lots of great people to work with(in 15 reviews)

• "Good benefits and perks (fruit and snacks, weekly freshly popped popcorn, monthly drinks, dog friendly, volunteer initiatives)(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working long hours and it's normal too(in 5 reviews)

• "The culture was bad, the good employees all leave asap, and the technical debt is enormous(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company

Apr 7, 2021 - Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dog friendly Work from home Scaled Agile Good Culture

Cons

Not many cons aside from salary could be a bit aligned with the market

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work - pre covid

Sep 28, 2021 - Marketing Specialist in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- I've met some of the best people I worked with here - Amazing events (pre covid) - Great culture overall - Popcorn Fridays - Dog friendly office - Annual Marketing fun day (pre covid) - Great perks & benefits - Opportunity to work with big clients

Cons

As it probably happened to many companies, things have changed substantially since covid. The mood of the company overall got heavy after the lay-offs, even with the team's efforts to keep things positive. Salary could be more aligned to market and promotions should definitely happen more often.

3. The latest conversations about Tech

180 Comments

Tech

33.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=PNI Digital Media~256918
      Join the conversation on
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Decent people and place to work

Sep 15, 2021 - Software Development Engineer In Test Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of great people to work with, Work from home, Scaled Agile, Good Culture

Cons

Not many cons aside from salary could be a bit aligned with the market, Working long hours and it's normal too

5. 1.0

Toxic egotistical culture

Sep 13, 2021 - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friday’s popcorn and a chance to get a T-Shirt every time you complete a project.

Cons

Senior management ranks amongst the most immature incompetent group of people I have ever worked with. Internal vendettas and bullying is served daily by managers, peers and customers.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Weird environment

Aug 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Nice, dog friendly office - Some nice, engaging people - Free popcorn on Fridays - Nice team morale - Good kitchen supplies

Cons

I honestly don’t know why I was hired. It took over a week for anyone to onboard me onto the team, and the work was so minimal I felt like I shouldn’t have been there at all. When I handed in my notice I was greeted by HR with “you’re quitting, aren’t you?” before I even stepped in her office. It was a pretty awkward experience all round.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Culture should go beyond fun & games

Jul 14, 2021 - Designer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun activities and dogs in the office

Cons

Low pay and poor leadership at team level. Upper management is oblivious to some of the questionable leadership tactics, or they turn a blind eye.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Save yourself from the Marketing department

Jul 9, 2021 - Marketing Specialist in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The cultural events in the office (pre-covid) were a lot of fun. - Dogs in the office

Cons

The leadership in this department has been some of the most egotistical and immature people I have come across in my career. The previous leader who has now been moved into another team, know's nothing about marketing - in fact does NOT know how to use Google Analytics. For somone who has been there since the beginning you'd think they would know a thing or two about marketing or data. Also, she would always be on a power trip thinking she did not have to do anything because of her position. Moreover, she would micromanage everything! From the time you started work to the time you left, what tasks you were working on, how long it took you to complete something, etc.. Just when you thought things were getting better with the new leader coming in, things got worse. The new leader doesn't do any work besides run the company's social media and hosts lame events. Neither of these so called leaders are aware what goes on with the accounts, clients, and projects. They aren't adding any value to the team/company, they have made their own cliques and bully the team members. They also pick and choose team favourites. I can't believe an organization like this hires such unqualified people. No wonder why people are leaving this toxic environment!

PNI Digital Media Response

Director Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are always open to hearing from employees (past and present) on how we can do better so I encourage you to reach out to me so we can discuss your comments. As you worked at PNI, you will have my contact details. I do want to take this time to point out an inaccuracy in your statement on recruitment. You highlight the need for interviews to be 3-5 rounds and include members from outside the department to ensure fit. I can confirm this is exactly what we do for leadership recruitment. I am sorry you did not enjoy your time at PNI and the events we put on. I hope you have found a new role, which is a better fit. HR

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

QA Automation

May 18, 2021 - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is a dynamic environment and has chance to work on many projects

Cons

Location is not good enough

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent people and place to work

May 13, 2021 - Product Designer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- collaboration with different people - variety of projects

Cons

- projects getting descoped and never making it to market - lack of autonomy, too much micromanagement form leadership

11. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Lay Off

May 2, 2021 - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

the Office location is close to the sky train station

Cons

The company laid off many software developers when started the pandemic situation

1 person found this review helpful