Cover image for PCL Construction

PCL Construction

Engaged Employer

PCL Construction

Add a Review

PCL Construction Employee Reviews about "pcl"

Updated Nov. 27, 2021

Found 123 of over 1K reviews

4.2
PCL Construction President and CEO Dave Filipchuk
Dave Filipchuk
Pros
  • "The company is Employee Owned so benefits there if you buy stock(in 72 reviews)

• "Employee owned, great benefits, family culture(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work / Life Balance (construction industry)(in 70 reviews)

• "Long hours, salaries lower that market(in 73 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PCL Construction and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "pcl"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Company

Nov. 27, 2021 - Project Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Company to learn from

Cons

No cons working with PCL

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thank you for your review! PCL has a plethora of learning opportunities through our College of Construction. There are in-person, online, technical, behavioral and leadership courses to continually develop our teams.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Excellent employers

Nov. 14, 2021 - General Labourer in Halifax, NS
      Business Outlook

Pros

PCL is a well known and well established Company. Working with PCL is exciting. They treat their employees well.

Cons

Working for PCL is fast paced

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thank you for your review! Construction is a fast-paced, exciting industry! We are glad you had an opportunity to be a part of it and we appreciate your contributions to building better communities.

3. Join the PCL Construction team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Above average compensation

Jun. 12, 2021 - Carpenter in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

PCL pays above industry standard, retirement package for a non union company is very good. You’re not worked overly hard, and the efforts you make don’t go unnoticed.

Cons

Sometimes the hours can get to you, but you are fairly compensated for them, and they do eventually get relaxed a bit once the big push is over.

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your review! Construction is a challenging and rewarding business and we’re so glad that you feel positively rewarded for your efforts. Keep up the great work!

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

PCL is a great workplace

May 22, 2021 - Field Engineer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- working at PCL there is a great work environment

Cons

- long hours but that is the nature of construction

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your review! We wish you all the best.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Apr. 30, 2021 - Field Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

PCL has a really great company culture

Cons

No cons, highly recommend working here!

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your review! Be sure to keep sharing your feedback with us so we can continue to be a great place for you to work.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company Shadowed By Old School Philosophies, But Evolving

Apr. 6, 2021 - : -) in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

PCL is probably the Best Company I have ever worked for in my 30 year construction career. Being employee-owned means that when you are working long hours during busy periods, away from your family, in the office some weekend, you know it will come back to you through the share ownership program. Compare that with other companies where the profits go to others and your long hours merely dilute your income and reduce your hourly wage. Health benefits are top notch, nothing is missing here plus you get to choose how much coverage you want. The retirement plan is great, they match what you put in up to 5%. There are also other fringe benefits for gym memberships and personal activities. Technology and IT systems are state of the art, you get whatever you need to do your job, and do it well. Internal training is amazing, plus you can get reimbursed for external training. It's like getting paid to develop your career! There are lots and lots of projects to stretch your career legs on and grow, as much as you want. You can work on small $1,500 projects or projects in the $Billions plus everything in between. The sky is truly the limit. Bring you positive attitude, leave your preconceptions at the door, be prepared to think of yourself as a business owner as opposed to just an employee and you will go far.

Cons

Coming into PCL mid-career was a challenge, I wish I had started with them much earlier in my career. I had to take a large hit to my base salary but as I accumulated more shares over the years this became a moot point. I guess the lesson here is, the base salaries are quite low so if you want to work for PCL know this going in. You need to own a piece of the company and think of yourself as a business owner, not an employee. PCL is a massive Corporation so yes, you will feel like a small fish in a really big pond. More like a small fish in a bay, in a lake, next to an ocean. But this does give you a lot of room to swim! PCL really pushes mobility. Relocating to different offices is the quickest way to move ahead. Great for those who are portable, not so great for those who aren't. For those who simply can't relocate, career growth may be slow and this may prove to be a Achilles Heal for some.

1 person found this review helpful

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your feedback on our share program and mobility! We'll share these suggestions with our senior leadership team. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas with us via your district leadership team and our employee surveys.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Employer

Apr. 9, 2021 - Construction Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great projects to work on - Highly qualified and expert colleagues and mentors - Overall great compensation package - Internal technological advances and partnerships keep PCL at the forefront of technology

Cons

Work / Life Balance (construction industry)

Vice President, Human Resources and Professional Development

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate your contributions to our projects and hope you continue to have a long and rewarding career at PCL.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Excellent employer to work for

Apr. 1, 2021 - Payroll Manager in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

PCL is very well managed with excellent processes and procedures in place. They have clearly defined job tracks and realize the value of investing in employees through training and career advancement opportunities. They have fair wages and an excellent ownership structure.

Cons

PCL has a very driven and bright employee base. To stand out as an extraordinary employee takes great determination.

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your feedback! We're so glad you had a fulfilling career at PCL and we wish you all the best.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Things have changed

Apr. 11, 2021 - Software Developer in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Shares pay good if you bought in early, now they offer less and less

Cons

- Dividends are diluted with the company growth. The share price hasn't gone up in years, therefore your investment is actually shrinking with inflation. They pay everything out as a dividend right now, which helps the aging managers and not new employees. - They use shares as an excuse not to provide market competitive salaries -Micro management at all levels - Forcing everyone into the office during covid19 so they can micromanage people again. Alberta added full covid restrictions the same week PCL sent everyone back - No covid compromises. If you have a kid or family member with health complications, they don't care - Bullying is allowed and encouraged.

3 people found this review helpful

Vice President, Human Resources and Professional Development

Thank you for sharing your opinions on this platform. I do recommend that you continue to educate yourself on the employee share program as I expect your views may change - I am also available to discuss with you if you like. Please reach out. More importantly, we have strict safety procedures in place that are in line with government regulations, while also working to accommodate our employees’ unique needs on a case-by-case basis. PCL also has zero-tolerance for bullying so this allegation is very concerning to me. Please contact myself or your HR manager directly so we can discuss your concerns, or you can report this to our confidential ethics helpline at 1-800-461-9330

11. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good to hear and thanks for all people.

Jan. 14, 2021 - Pluming and Pipe Fitter in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pcl is best for get more experience and and save life.

Cons

Everything i can manage here.

PCL Construction Response

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thanks for your review!

PCL Construction logo

Reviews by Job Title

PCL Construction Photos

+ Add Photo
    PCL Construction photo of: PCL's North American Headquarters holds its first-ever DemoFest, allowing staff to experience the latest in construction technologies
    PCL Construction photo of: PCLers raise money for the Heart and Stroke Foundation on the Big Bike!
    PCL Construction photo of: PCL's North American Headquarters celebrates its first-ever Heritage Day

PCL Construction Job Seekers Also Viewed

EllisDon Logo
    EllisDon

4.0

Compare

Glassdoor has 1,141 PCL Construction reviews submitted anonymously by PCL Construction employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if PCL Construction is right for you.