PCL Construction Employee Reviews about "employee owned"

Updated Nov 8, 2021

Found 75 of over 947 reviews

4.1
PCL Construction President and CEO Dave Filipchuk
Dave Filipchuk
Pros
  • "PCL is probably the Best Company I have ever worked for in my 30 year construction career(in 84 reviews)

• "The company is Employee Owned so benefits there if you buy stock(in 72 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours, salaries lower that market(in 73 reviews)

• "Work / Life Balance (construction industry)(in 70 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "employee owned"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern

Great friendly place to work at!

May 8, 2021 - Conservation Coordinator in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee-owned company, very friendly working environment, and interesting projects

Cons

Corporate structure, some would not like it

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your review! Be sure to keep in touch with your student program coordinator for more information on upcoming student and full-time opportunities.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Jun 1, 2021 - Project Coordinator in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee owned, great share offer plan to make up extra compensation.

Cons

Very little career move upward. Very competitive.

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. PCL has several programs and developmental opportunities to help you advance in your career. We encourage you to speak to your supervisor or HRPD team for more information.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company Shadowed By Old School Philosophies, But Evolving

Apr 6, 2021 - : -) in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

PCL is probably the Best Company I have ever worked for in my 30 year construction career. Being employee-owned means that when you are working long hours during busy periods, away from your family, in the office some weekend, you know it will come back to you through the share ownership program. Compare that with other companies where the profits go to others and your long hours merely dilute your income and reduce your hourly wage. Health benefits are top notch, nothing is missing here plus you get to choose how much coverage you want. The retirement plan is great, they match what you put in up to 5%. There are also other fringe benefits for gym memberships and personal activities. Technology and IT systems are state of the art, you get whatever you need to do your job, and do it well. Internal training is amazing, plus you can get reimbursed for external training. It's like getting paid to develop your career! There are lots and lots of projects to stretch your career legs on and grow, as much as you want. You can work on small $1,500 projects or projects in the $Billions plus everything in between. The sky is truly the limit. Bring you positive attitude, leave your preconceptions at the door, be prepared to think of yourself as a business owner as opposed to just an employee and you will go far.

Cons

Coming into PCL mid-career was a challenge, I wish I had started with them much earlier in my career. I had to take a large hit to my base salary but as I accumulated more shares over the years this became a moot point. I guess the lesson here is, the base salaries are quite low so if you want to work for PCL know this going in. You need to own a piece of the company and think of yourself as a business owner, not an employee. PCL is a massive Corporation so yes, you will feel like a small fish in a really big pond. More like a small fish in a bay, in a lake, next to an ocean. But this does give you a lot of room to swim! PCL really pushes mobility. Relocating to different offices is the quickest way to move ahead. Great for those who are portable, not so great for those who aren't. For those who simply can't relocate, career growth may be slow and this may prove to be a Achilles Heal for some.

1 person found this review helpful

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your feedback on our share program and mobility! We'll share these suggestions with our senior leadership team. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas with us via your district leadership team and our employee surveys.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Employer in which to build a fulfilling career.

Jan 16, 2021 - Field Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee owned, mentoring is a core part of the company culture, defined career path.

Cons

There are currently no down sides.

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thank you for your feedback! We're so glad that you're taking advantage of all the perks of working at PCL. Please continue to share your suggestions with your supervisor, HRPD team, and via our Glint employee surveys.

5. 5.0
      Current Temporary Employee

Great company to work with

Nov 24, 2020 - Engineering Student in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

employee owned company which significantly increases your pay overtime.

Cons

not for you if you don't like construction

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thanks for your review! Please continue to share your feedback with us through your district HRPD team and our PCL Glint surveys.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company

Sep 24, 2020 - Technical Solutions Analyst in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company is 100% employee owned

Cons

For big private companies like this, you're just a number

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company With a Nurturing Culture

Sep 8, 2020 - Project Coordinator in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an employee owned company, there is an inherent interest for all senior staff at PCL to take an interest in your professional growth and progression. Additionally, due to the ownership structure staff turnover is low, resulting in a wealth of experience and knowledge to tap into. This leads to a culture that is built on years of professional experience to nurture the next generation - Senior management taking an active role in entry level career development, is a unique aspect of PCL.

Cons

Not necessarily a 'Con', but something to note - Years of service to the company is seen as a more important basis for advancement, than any educational accreditation's or experience gained outside of PCL. This can lead to a fairly rigid career ladder based on time served as opposed to merit.

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thank you for your honest feedback! We will share this with your district HRPD team, and encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts with us through your HRPD manager and our Glint surveys.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee

Review of Company

May 30, 2020 - Senior Estimator in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee owned, good dividend payouts, well known and respected

Cons

Takes a long time to get promotion regardless of performance, salary is below market rates

1 person found this review helpful

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thanks for your review! PCL is committed to the development of our employees and has several resources to assist you with taking your career to the next level. These include the Career Management program, Career Toolkits, the College of Construction and mentoring programs, and our internal job board and mobility program that connect employees to promotion opportunities in other districts. If you would like more information on these programs, we encourage you to speak with your supervisor or district HRPD manager.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Fantastic company

May 6, 2020 - Estimator in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee owned (private share ownership)

Cons

Some of the usual cons of a large company: can get lost, feel like a number sometimes

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thanks for your honest review! Please continue to share your feedback with us through our employee surveys or with your supervisor or district HRPD team.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Company promotes nepotism

Dec 18, 2019 - Project Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee owned, great training and great focus on safety.

Cons

Career advancement is very limited. Lots of family employed and promotes this culture.

6 people found this review helpful

HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thanks for your feedback! You’ve highlighted some pros that we are proud of too. With regards to career advancement, our career management and succession planning programs aim to focus on individual performance and potential. If you would be willing to provide us with additional details about your perspective on PCL’s career advancement opportunities, please reach out to glassdoor@pcl.com. We would be happy to look into this further.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 75 Reviews