PA Consulting Group Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
PA Consulting Group CEO and Director Alan Middleton
Alan Middleton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you look for work -life balance, this is the place" (in 45 reviews)

• "Great people and excellent work environment" (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • "Likewise, work life balance is something the individual has to manage" (in 19 reviews)

• "Zero pastoral care from senior management" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great people, fantastic future!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working in Consulting for over 18 years (4 with PA) and can honestly say that I could not recommend anywhere higher than PA. Main pros for me:
    - fantastic opportunities to grow and develop your skills both technically and in business development
    - great range of projects and clients with real opportunities to develop innovative solutions
    - travel is an option although having a young family 90% of my work has been in Belfast
    - Great staff with a real emphasis on camaraderie and in supporting each other

Cons

Not always a 9-5 but that reflects both the challenge and the excitement of contributing to a vibrant business!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in top talent and in supporting us develop and enhance our culture

2. "Highly dynamic and fast paced | PA Consulting"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are in full control of the direction your career goes.
    Compensation is a lot better than other companies
    Exciting work
    Decisions and input is valued and trusted by peers and management.
    Being part of a new venture within PA to build a place that we would like to work and given the opportunity to provide input at nearly every level is by far one of the biggest pros.

Cons

Assignment Managers can at times be unaware of what each other are doing leading to slight resource time issues, so far this seems to work itself out.

Advice to Management

It's early days but it would be nice to have some time focused per employee to really help them with goal setting.

3. "Exciting opportunities and a great culture"

Current Employee - Consultant Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone who is new to consulting but experienced in software engineering, PA has been a breath of fresh air. I have had opportunities in my first months here that I never had after years elsewhere. Some of the unique pros for me are:
    - Collaborative culture
    - Ability to influence the working environment
    - Transparent career path
    - Management are hands on and approachable
    - Travel opportunities (depending on project)
    - Communication from senior management is frequent and transparent
    - Variable technology stack and ability for teams to decide on their own technologies to use

Cons

- Some projects can be a bit hectic
    - Some projects are not as exciting as others

Advice to Management

As Digital grows, try to preserve the current culture. In my experience, communication has been excellent and the collaborative culture across all of PA is something i've never come across before.

4. "Great up and coming Digital venture"

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very flexible working environment
    - Challenging work
    - Very flat structure
    - Co-workers experts in their fields
    - Great opportunities to get involved in company development
    - Good opportunities to travel

Cons

- Workload can be stressful
    - Managers on projects can be unaware of day to day goings on
    - Team is relatively new so one or two growing pains

Advice to Management

- Focus on ensuring that workloads are manageable for the staff available
    - Ensure there is time allocated for the company development, as this eats into programming time

5. "PA Consulting"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PA is full of fantastic and inspiring people, who really care about making a difference. As an employee you have a lot of freedom and are empowered/encouraged to start new initiatives, try new things, and learn and develop all the time.

Cons

The lack of women in senior positions is disappointing.

6. "Good company but quickly growing"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to develop yourself if you are on the right assignment
    Good opportunity to travel if interested

Cons

Losing the culture due to fast growth
    Increasing pressure to travel makes it difficult for work life balance with families

"Hit and miss"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PA seem to be able to hire genuinely high quality professionals from time to time, but they leave shortly due to the overall environment. I treasure those very few I got to know there and we keep in touch, but that has nothing to do with the company, but rather that high quality professionals keep together regardless of the circumstances.

Cons

Unfortunately a lengthy list, that would require immediate improvement...I should say complete cultural change:
    1. What you are told during the hiring process is not even close to what they are giving you (e.g. bonuses, that came up in other reviews as well) and salaries are below the industry average .
    2. Utilisation is king, rather than quality service to clients, which makes it hard to develop long-lasting client relationships....I've seen very opportunistic approaches which are damaging and the leadership doesn't seem to notice it.
    3. Internal fights and segregation over sales in selling positions make it almost impossible to approach bigger clients in a professional, coordinated manner or to offer them meaningful services.
    4. Male oriented culture with an approach towards women, that is far from being equal, let alone being fair (this includes what opportunities are given to women and how their performance is evaluated in general). I've seen the term "old boys' club" in other reviews, which is a good reflection on the atmosphere.
    5. Zero leadership from your line manager and zero direction as to how to navigate the corporate politics to get the value out of your hard work (a good example would be that I've never seen leadership acknowledging if they had made a bad decision or in case they were wrong)
    6. Bad work-life balance - if your area of expertise is in high demand, they will work you to death to get their profit, but if your area of expertise cannot be sold well enough, then you don't get support to strengthen other areas to get on more/better projects either. If you over perform, leadership keeps the reward to themselves, it won't show in your bonuses.
    7. Overall lack of transparency on evaluation of performance and lack of visibility on leadership decisions and directions.
    8. Complete disregard of your feedback while you are on board, which speaks volumes of the arrogance of the leadership.
    9. They don't support newcomers at all. I don't say you should not stand your ground and be responsible for your development and utilisation (after all you want to be a consultant, so an outgoing, positively pushy personality is key), but for the first few months, there should be support to find your feet in the organisation to develop your portfolio, which they say they do, but this isn't the case (I was lucky that I was in high demand due to my area of expertise).

Advice to Management

Nothing further to add, as they did not process feedback while I was there.

"good and bad"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some great people, and really interesting work in the Technology Innovation practice in particular.

Cons

i worked within a team with little direction or sense of purpose, everything driven by near term goals of utilisation . Senior hire largely left to just get on and sell with little collaboration or support.

Advice to Management

fix the disparity in culture and practice across the firm, and recognise the difference between building something new and simply farming a very big client for years and years. Both necessary, but need to be incentivised and rewarded differently.

"A company that's so close to being phenomenal"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PA has all of the right pieces of a top-class consulting firm: smart people, a world-class research and technology division, and fancy PowerPoint templates. There's often plenty of work to be done, and internal networking can prove to be a fruitful use of one's time. In the UK, the name brand recognition is on par with Big-4 consulting firms. Projects are as rewarding/cutting-edge as you can find in consulting.

Cons

Incoherent branding and strategy execution. Very rigid partner model which discourages risk taking. Moves a lot more slowly and un-sexy than it appears from the outside. Carlyle's ownership means costs will be cut and work environments will be less than pleasant. Buzzwords everywhere. Management is very hush hush and inaccessible.

Advice to Management

Actually act upon your company-wide survey :)

10. "Good Company, Great People, Erratic Long Term Strategy"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People, Interesting Work, A Lot of Autonomy

Cons

Hidebound Performance Structure, Linked Solely to In-Year Performance Factors That May Be Outside Your Control