Overstock.com Reviews

Updated May 13, 2021

3.6
Overstock.com Interim CEO Jonathan Johnson
Jonathan Johnson
Pros
  • "great work life balance, they care about their employee's well being(in 85 reviews)

• "Such great people and I made so many lifelong friends there(in 43 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management seems to be out of touch with reality at times(in 71 reviews)

• "Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired(in 26 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

poor business

Feb 3, 2018 - Owner Operator in Grande Prairie, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

if you get your a employee great but if you a customer expect to get ripped off lots are look at their facebook page complaints go on-for days

Cons

they are a con so many unhappy customer

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing culture of working together and sharing skills to further business as a whole

May 13, 2021 - Product Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of talented individuals from many backgrounds who work together. A great culture of trust and allowing individuals to try new things. Currently WFH. 401k Match. Good enough medical. Competitive salary. Bonus plan. Exec team focused on growth.

Cons

Opportunity to move up in the company does not always have a clear path. Even with specific dept's having a framework for advancing, it still feels like it comes down to whether or not managers will go to bat for you. No clear direction for the future, it's always just 6 months ahead and shifts far too often. As of now, no plans to offer remote positions full-time, despite the company having their best performing/productive years while under WFH guidelines.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

we are overstock

May 10, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership changes continue to be a great positive impact on the company. Transparency and trust continue to build. No rush to get back to the office, leadership is taking their time and responding appropriately.

Cons

Pay continues to be lower than the market in a lot of areas - progress has been made over the years, but still not where it needs to be.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great people, management, and benefits

Jan 11, 2021 - ETL Developer in Murray, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the people I work with. All my teams and managers have been wonderful. Top management has seen a net improvement over the past year, and I trust them to be transparent in most things, and honest. I love the benefits, especially the 401(k) plan. I've always felt valued as a person and an employee.

Cons

A big pet peeve I share with many colleagues about Overstock is the distance of the parking garage from the office (1/4 mile). They ostensibly built it that far away to get employees to walk more (let us be adults and make our own healthy choices). But a suspected true reason was to create a physical barrier (distance) to keep employees on the campus so we'll be more productive. That said, Overstock is not in the practice of over-working its employees. The other main issue is the bonus structure (or usual lack thereof). There has never been consistency or transparency in bonuses. There's no way to make everyone happy with a bonus structure, but Overstock's handling of bonuses has, more often than not, left most people unsatisfied or questioning. In my several years with the company, company-wide bonuses have been paid out only once or twice, and they have been modest. The current bonus structure looks more promising, but we are in the first year of it and there is still a lack of transparency in details, despite executives touting that it is super transparent.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

My Overstock Experience

May 6, 2021 - Customer Solutions Specialist in Midvale, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have great flexibility and benefits

Cons

Base wage could be higher.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, but very demanding

Apr 28, 2021 - Data Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits, amazing campus, I work with amazing and intelligent people

Cons

Long days and tight deadlines. The workload can be pretty intense, and expectations are very high for the quality of work you put out.

7. 5.0

Great Company

Apr 14, 2021 - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

They care about the success of the company and are transparent to their employees about progress

Cons

Many employees would love to stay working from home after the pandemic, but it seems some of the older executives don’t like the idea as much. We will see the outcome though when we do “return to the office”

8. 2.0

Bigoted Leadership

Apr 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some great people but sadly they're overpowered by bureaucratic bigoted leadership that points blame at others

Cons

Product org is failing, we can't hire colleagues and senior managers here are all talk. They produce nothing then blame others, they don't trust us to manage product our way I feel. They can't see that their old processes are killing the company, they're too busy talking in every meeting pushing their own methodologies and agenda Tech org is not a lot better, however I did witness positive changes here. I feel senior leadership is not bought into what they are preaching. Their actions don't match their words

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Strong technically

Apr 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, technically strong and use new technologies.

Cons

The process to determine project priorities could be improved.

10. 5.0

Great teams, interesting work

Apr 29, 2021 - Software Development Manager in Sligo
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and fantastic working environment.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 912 Reviews