Ontario Securities Commission Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ontario Securities Commission Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2019

3.2
Ontario Securities Commission Chair and CEO Maureen Jensen (no image)
Maureen Jensen

"Engaging, meaningful work"

I have been working at Ontario Securities Commission full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I a full-time employee who has worked in one of the OSC's advisory branches for five years. During this time, I have had the opportunity to actively work on initiatives of huge importance to Ontario and Canada's capital markets, market participants and investors. The sheer volume and breadth of issues the OSC deals with keeps me constantly engaged, challenged and energized. I cannot think of any other position in... capital markets that would offer me this level of exposure. There is strong and bold leadership at the OSC. These are people who "walk the talk" and seek to do the right thing, often when faced with significant external pressures and roadblocks. The senior leadership of the OSC values its employees and views candid communication with staff as a must, not an afterthought. For example, the current CEO regularly holds small unscripted coffee meetings, and updates employees in real time when there's a development instead of waiting for all the answers. As an employee, I am also free to attend Board meetings, regardless of whether or not I am on the agenda. Additionally, all employees have direct access to the CEO, if and when we need some face time. I value this level of access and transparency, which directly benefits and informs my work.

Cons

Those coming from the private sector are often surprised to find that the OSC offers none of the same perks, but has the same expectations in terms of work hours, performance, etc. For example, there are lots of restrictions on meals and travel - you should not count on these being covered in any scenario. The OSC is stretched very thin from a staffing point of view, even though the volume it deals with is... massive. For example, I have heard anecdotally that the work performed by a single full-time employee in one of its advisory branches would be performed by 6 employees at a financial institution. The OSC's physical premises need some TLC, and there's a serious shortage of space available for larger meetings.

Ontario Securities Commission2019-04-22
  2. "Great place"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ontario Securities Commission full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, leadership very approachable

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth or movement

Ontario Securities Commission2019-04-24
  3. "legal counsel"

I have been working at Ontario Securities Commission full-time

Pros

flexibility, culture, public interest work

Cons

less pay than private sector, red tape

Advice to Management

increase pay, decrease red tape

Ontario Securities Commission2019-03-05
  4. "Employee"

I worked at Ontario Securities Commission full-time

Pros

Great place to work at!

Cons

not what I was looking for

Ontario Securities Commission2018-09-24

"Innovating within the space"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ontario Securities Commission full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The OSC has found ways to innovate in a regulatory context and effect change within its own operations. Specific areas of business like the Investor Office and LaunchPad demonstrate an out-of-the-box thinking and a commitment to changing the status quo, both showing how the OSC can be a regulatory leader for reasons beyond its size. If you are able to secure a position within one of these new or changing areas of... business, you will have the opportunity to work on new and novel projects that take a different perspective on both longstanding and emerging regulatory challenges. These projects can be highly rewarding and often shape the OSC's priorities for the future.

Cons

The institutional nature of a longstanding regulator like the OSC means that some legacy areas of business are not as quick or comfortable to embrace change or adopt new ways of thinking. This can be a source of conflict within the organization as collaboration across different operational silos is sometimes met with resistance.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage and foster innovation within your own operations and try to apply this new lens to all areas of business. Look to areas within your own organization, such as the Investor Office, for examples of how to take a new approach to existing ways of doing business.

Ontario Securities Commission2018-04-17

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Professional in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ontario Securities Commission full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no pros at all.

Cons

Arrogant. Rude. No opportunities to advance.

Ontario Securities Commission2018-01-24

"For those who lack ambition and despise a meritocracy."

Pros

- Great work/life balance. 9-5 is an overstatement. - Generally liberal policy with regard to vacation or working from home.

Cons

- Highly politicized. Nothing is measured and the Peter Principle is in full effect. - People are not motivated to do good work. Those who do are often ostracized. - Market knowledge exists in very small, sparse pockets of the organization. - Little-to-no career movement. Promotions often have more to do with being lucky via backfill and you're unlikely to develop any marketable skills. - Some of the worst... management I've ever worked with. At the same time good managers are often abused and driven out by staff infighting and internecine warfare.

Advice to Management

- Become results-driven and reward demonstrable performance. - Hire lawyers and accountants when you need them as opposed to assuming you need lawyers and accountants for everything. - Make people accountable including HR.

Ontario Securities Commission2017-10-31

"Rude and arrogant people, bureaucratic structure, no opportunities for career advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

Good benefits, good vacation, you don't get much done (not sure if this is a pro or con, depends on the point of view)

Cons

It's a very stagnant organization. There is no opportunity for career advancement at all. If you want to just clock in and out, or come to have 3 children and not have issues with mat leave, that's your place. But if you want to learn, progress in your career, complete something meaningful- I would not recommend this place for you. HR are completely useless, they are always on the managers' side. Management only... worries about their own bonuses, and how the organization "appears" to external people, not caring about the people who actually work here. Harassment and bullying are totally ok, it's perfectly fine for a manager to scream at an employee's face. I am extremely disappointed by this place and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Ontario Securities Commission2017-11-06

"Not a top employer."

I worked at Ontario Securities Commission

Pros

4 weeks cavation, 5 personal days, 2 optional days off, full defined benefit pension

Cons

Very political, slow to react, women-centric, difficult to transition back to Bay street.

Ontario Securities Commission2017-04-20

"Good work/life balance"

I worked at Ontario Securities Commission

Pros

Great work life balance, benefits and vacation.

Cons

Impossible to grow and advance.

Ontario Securities Commission2017-04-18