Ontario Power Generation Employee Reviews about "opg"

Updated May 12, 2020

Ontario Power Generation CEO Ken Hartwick
Ken Hartwick
Pros
  • "Good pay, great benefits, good work/life balance(in 35 reviews)

• "Good pay, Learned a lot, friendly co workers(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "Working for a huge company like OPG might limit what you're able/allowed to do(in 17 reviews)

• "Treats everyone equal due to unionized situation(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "opg"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Enterprise Project Management Office"

Current Intern - Enterprise Project Management Office in Oshawa, ON

I have been working at Ontario Power Generation for more than a year

Pros

Amazing work atmosphere, great managers, and good work given to you.

Cons

none, really enjoyed my time at OPG.

Ontario Power Generation2019-11-18
  2. "Not Enough Years Under Former Employment"

Former Contractor - Nuclear Operator In-Training in Pickering, ON

I worked at Ontario Power Generation

Pros

Good details but not enough listed years. Go back to the inception of OPG

Cons

Lack of information regarding former employee's history. Why not go back to its inception.

Ontario Power Generation2020-05-12
  3. "Engineering Intern - 16 Month Internship Darlington NGS"

Former Contractor - Internship in Bowmanville, ON

I worked at Ontario Power Generation for more than a year

Pros

- good competitive pay - steep learning curve - a lot of great learning materials and resources to learn about nuclear, electrical, mechanical theory and systems - surrounded by great well rounded intelligent people - having OPG on your resume is a huge advantage, it is well recognized across Canada

Cons

- Very boring work, mostly paperwork, procedureal - Takes forever to get work done - Feels as if working here makes you dumber - You don't accomplish as much as you think you typically would - Interns don't do much engineering/design work, mostly facilitating meetings and internal administrative tasks

Ontario Power Generation2020-02-20
  4. "Generally not a great company to work for, especially if you want to do engineering"

1.0
    Former Intern - Engineering in Pickering, ON

I worked at Ontario Power Generation for more than a year

Pros

-The pay for interns is high - among my friends in engineering at other firms I had the highest salary -Can be fast paced and exciting at times

Cons

-Very much an "intern" type role - i.e. was asked to photocopy, do coffee runs, convert PDFs for those who didn't know how -Really depends on the department that you get placed in, but work is generally boring -Not the company or role that I was sold. OPG contracts out 95% of its engineering and the internal staff are left with project management and paper pushing -This is the most bureaucratic company I have ever worked for. When voicing ideas and proposals, I was often faced with constant criticism from employees who have been at the company for decades and were resistant to change. Definitely very de-motivating for new ideas and kills creatively, especially for interns and low level employees. -Union creates lazy staff who get pay raises based on how long you have been at the company, not based on performance or meritocracy. Very hard to fire employees because of the union culture -Upper management is greatly lacks transparency in terms of future of the company since a major plant is shutting down. Thousands of employees have uncertain futures and management constantly dodges hard questions regarding this issue

Ontario Power Generation2019-11-12
  5. "Great culture and people. Very slow-paced"

Former Intern - Performance Engineering in Pickering, ON

I worked at Ontario Power Generation for more than a year

Pros

OPG has a great work culture where everyone is helpful and willing to teach you. There is a very healthy culture on safety as well. Pay is great compared to my peers.

Cons

The environment was very slow-paced, I felt like my learning peaked quite early and I was barely challenged. OPG does not hire new grads anymore unless its for a temp job so there is little motivation sometimes to put forward the extra effort.

Ontario Power Generation2019-09-18

"Headed for major change and unlikely to survive"

2.0
    Current Employee - Section Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ontario Power Generation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Extremely safety focused and the company has a genuine intention to do the "right thing". Pay is reasonable but only for some positions - typically those with less education. The pension is lucrative is you can last long enough to qualify. Pay is actually lower than the same positions in U.S. or the private sector.

Cons

Union environment is difficult and sometimes borders on corruption. There is no meaningful pay for performance, even at the management level. Decisions that would take days or weeks in a normal company take years to get done at OPG. Most decisions are by committee with senior leaders reluctant to stick their necks out and lead. Recently, many managers have been fired. At the union level, problem employees go undisciplined. The company will shrink significantly in coming years and there will be significant layoffs.

Ontario Power Generation2019-09-14
  7. "Prestigious workplace yet some cons"

Current Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Bowmanville, ON

I have been working at Ontario Power Generation for less than a year

Pros

1) Friendly learning environment - People are very welcoming and happy to share some words of wisdom. 2) Accountability/real work - while majority of internships in big organizations often ask for administrative tasks, at OPG even an intern is treated equally as the fellow engineers/colleagues and held accountable for some key tasks.

Cons

1) Small part of a big process - It is a prestigious place to work at, however due to size and hierarchy of the organization it is virtually impossible to have a huge impact/control over certain decisions of the projects. Although, I believe this is a con that comes along with every big organization.

Ontario Power Generation2019-08-12
  8. "Okay"

Former Contractor - Office Support

I worked at Ontario Power Generation

Pros

I liked OPG because everyone was mostly friendly and they were extremely accommodating. Darlington is easy to commute to.

Cons

There was nothing to do, ever. I worked in 3 different office positions while I was there, and none of them had anything to actually do on a daily basis. The jobs exist for no reason. The office staff are all catty with each other because they compete over job postings, but I think it's mostly because they don't have anything better to do. They spend a lot of time pretending to look busy. I was only there for 4 months, and in that time, I saw 4 people go off on medical leave. Total abuse of the system. The temps make significantly less than the permanent staff. Mostly it was frustrating watching these 50 year-old women who walked into a golden ticket job 30 years ago sit around complaining about their coworkers, going off on extended sick leave for sore ankles or something, knowing I was qualified enough (and bored enough) to do the work of 10 of them, and getting paid less for it.

Ontario Power Generation2019-08-14
  9. "Excellent company to intern with"

Current Intern - Project Management in Bowmanville, ON

I have been working at Ontario Power Generation for more than a year

Pros

out of all the major nuclear companies, OPG will work their students the hardest and offer the most amount of learning opportunities. The pay is mid to upper level for nuclear. Students can work flex hours and have access to a large amount of overtime (if youre a decent intern).

Cons

The hiring of full-time new grads has stopped and it has all become contract and terms.

Ontario Power Generation2019-07-25
  10. "Great experience, but you may not get technical experience in your field depending on the department"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Pickering, ON

I worked at Ontario Power Generation for more than a year

Pros

You get exposure to a lot of different areas of the company and the process of nuclear power generation. I worked in Projects & Modifications which is an engineering role but with more project management (cost, schedule, risk)

Cons

You might not get the technical experience you're looking for. Working for a huge company like OPG might limit what you're able/allowed to do.

Ontario Power Generation2019-04-24