Online Business Systems Employee Reviews about "professional development"

Updated May 14, 2020

4.7
Online Business Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Pros
  • "Great Professional Development program and Career Mentor program to drive your career forward(in 37 reviews)

• "They are doing everything possible to ensure Onliners are taken are of(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Online is a consulting firm and as such you may not always work with fellow Onliners or have an assignment that exactly matches your career path(in 9 reviews)

• "Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "professional development"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "One of the best places I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Leadership team mentorship program and Professional development!

Cons

None that I can think of

Chief People Officer

We never get tired of hearing things like “one of the best places I’ve ever worked.” We strive to be a great employer and your feedback helps ensure we are on the right track.

2. COVID-19

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Online Business Systems feels like a family. Onliners truly are team players, highly professional a pleasure to work with. Onliners always there to help each other out and celebrate each other’s success. The leadership team are genuinely concerned about the wellbeing and satisfaction of the employees (especially during COVID-19 pandemic). Great Professional Development program and Career Mentor program to drive your career forward.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the physical location of most clients being Downtown.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback. While we can all agree that Onliners are what really set us apart from the rest, it is also gratifying to hear that Onliners know we care about their well-being. As you know there is no playbook to refer to, and so we believe that if we adhere to our core values, we will come out stronger when we return to the new normal.

3. "Amazing professional development opportunities"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Online Business Systems is a place that I am encouraged to get involved in work which I feel passionate about and am supported in the process. Excellent professional development opportunities; annual budget.

Cons

Consultant salary ranges are unknown and appear arbitrary

Chief People Officer

Thanks for submitting feedback. We feel it is important to promote a culture of growth and development. It benefits our team members, our clients and Online. While we do not publish salary ranges, we do have internal salary guidelines for each role and skill, that are based on market salary surveys and market intelligence. As part of our annual focal review we spend significant effort to ensure each team member is paid fairly relative to the market and their peers, while taking performance into account.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Online Business Systems is doing everything it can to keep its consultant happy, they know there are a lot of options out they know we are a very mobile workforce. They make sure to keep salary in line with the industry, they also have a very interesting Professional Development program where we can have up to 2 weeks of courses paid by the company and they actually encourage us to take that time. The career mentor program is also a great way to drive leadership within the organization.

Cons

Although they started a program of company-funded RSP, the rate is still pretty low.

Chief People Officer

We recognize that the market is competitive and that to retain great people we need to ensure we are creating an environment where people can thrive and feel supported. That has been our goal since day 1. Insofar as the RRSP/401K match, it is very much on our radar, and we will be doing a review next year to see how we might be able to enhance this plan. Thanks for your feedback.

5. "Excellent company to work!"

Former Employee - Guidewire Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everything is great about Online Business System. Very good Atmosphere Professional Development (PD) budget is great. Competitive Compensation

Cons

I worked there for more than 3 years. I can't think of any.

Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to submit feedback, as a former Onliner. If you ever decide you want to return, we would love to add you to our list of boomerangs!

6. "Great company to work for, opportunities to grow career within"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A business owned and operated by people who care about their people and a strong desire to grow and succeed. Great professional development program for consulting and business team members, and as the company grows there is more opportunity to grow within. Vibrant environment in Winnipeg within the east Exchange. Growing team across North America with increasing ability to work from home part of the time, if clients are ok with it. For those working outside of an office location, there are virtual team calls, and opportunities to stay connected. There are internal education programs to learn about the business, yoga during lunch and summer BBQs in Winnipeg, Staff Meetings are often at a local pub for those working together in the same location. Leadership has made effort in the last year to share strategy more, which is great! 13 consecutive years awarded as "Great Place to Work" in Canada, and it truly is!

Cons

At times, different parts of the company are still act somewhat independently. like across service areas and even in the head office. This can be good for quick decision-making, but can sometimes lead to miscommunications or finding out that more than one team is working on similar projects, or unaware of what the others are doing so it's hard to know who you can go to or lean on for things. Lots of emails for communications. There is effort being put in to improve collaboration, which is positive to see. Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site. There is lots of paid parking lots nearby the Winnipeg office. It's an exciting time to be working here and everything about this company is better than I've seen anywhere else!!!

Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It really helps validate what we are doing right and where we can improve. As your review suggests there is a lot happening at Online as we continue to see tremendous growth across our Digital Transformation and Cybersecurity practices. We are very conscious of how growth can impact an organization so our focus is really on ensuring the Onliner experience and the Client experience remain amazing. While we see more and more collaboration between our Practices and Services, we recognize that communication between the teams needs to continue to evolve. We operated under a more siloed structure previously and so the change to an integrated Online is one that requires our attention and our commitment. We know we are headed in the right direction. As we grow there will be more opportunities for team members to assume leadership roles. This will be addressed in our How to be an Onliner (HBO) for Leaders next year. And yes your comment around “needing the right level of meetings, the right people at meetings and the right way to share messages” absolutely resonates. It becomes even more important as we grow. I have also shared your feedback on the “right tools” with our CTO. This is something we are hearing more and more as we have individuals in numerous cities across North America. I know our Infrastructure Services team is doing research in this area to find the right solutions for us.

7. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great support for professional development; strong emphasis on adhering to company's values and culture; many of opportunities to build local network; friendly senior management staff.

Cons

Limited opportunities to work in cutting-edge technology projects due to the market this company services. Mostly staff augmentation roles servicing local clients, although there may be few exceptions.

Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The pros you list are the ones we most commonly hear from team members. We believe our culture, our people, and our professional development program are what set us apart from others. Our focus and mindset has always been to solve our clients business and technology issues. For that reason, we have engaged with our clients based on the model that works best to solve their problem at hand, be it project based or staff augmentation. Over the years we have seen that preference shift from one side to the other, based on a variety of factors. Our continued focus on Digital Transformation and Cybersecurity has most recently created many more exciting projects based opportunities and we see that trend continuing.

8. "Onliners have Leadership, Intelligence, Experience, and Drive"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Online places a high value on personal and professional leadership skills, heavily influenced by Dale Carnegie leadership principles. I'm amazed to always work with smart colleagues on smart challenges. Online's leadership lives their core values. Excellent Professional Development program for professional growth. Great benefits (health, RRSP program) Great experience opportunities. (I've been engaged in 13 projects across 6 clients in almost 8 years.) I'm honored to count myself an Onliner.

Cons

If you're an Onliner you're a consultant. Time tracking is important. You are expected to onboard quickly in client environments. You are expected to learn leadership skills. You often have less creative control and project ownership in client-run projects. You may need to navigate complex accountability and governance structures of mid-to-large enterprise. These can be struggles for those seeking purely technical growth.

Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback. We were so pleased that your “Pros” comments hit on a lot of things that we take pride in and work hard to achieve. We know we have an amazing team of Onliners who meet challenges head on and persevere until they find a successful solution. While we have always supported professional development of our team members (both soft skills and hard skills) this had even more focus this past year when we introduced “Goal Setting” as part of our revised Performance Management framework. We know that setting goals and working to achieve goals is a lifelong commitment to growth and development and something we encourage all Onliners to do. It is gratifying to hear that you see our core values alive and well on the team. While many speak of their commitment to core values, we all know that actions speak volumes. We agree that as a Consultant you may be expected to navigate complex environments within our client sites. This is what separates great Consultants from others. We believe that the best Consultants have well rounded skills that allow them to shine in whatever environment they are placed. This becomes the basis for our next version of “How to Be an Onliner” (HBO), specifically the “Growing as an Online Consultant” programs.

9. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent company. Benefits and Professional Development budget are very good.

Cons

As any consultant company, sometimes we saty on bench.

Chief People Officer

Thanks for submitting feedback. “Excellent company” is exactly what we continually strive for, so it’s great to hear you feel that way. We know that no one likes to be on base camp, and when this happens we encourage you to take professional development or get involved in internal initiatives or talk to the Business Development team to ensure you are front of mind. As always, feel free to reach out to your Career Mentor for further guidance.

10. "Onliner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great Career Mentor Program -$3000 Annual Professional Development Budget ($1500 for non-consultants) -Great Culture and amazing Morale -Lots of fun events throughout the year (BBQ's, Golf, Holiday Parties,)

Cons

Nothing that I can think of!

Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to submit feedback. We are happy that your first year is a positive one and we hope that you feel the same way for many years to come. We work hard to ensure we are creating an environment for our team members where they can grow and feel supported.

Found 37 reviews