Online Business Systems Reviews

Updated Jan 20, 2021

4.6
Online Business Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Pros
  • "Great Professional Development program and Career Mentor program to drive your career forward(in 37 reviews)

• "They are doing everything possible to ensure Onliners are taken are of(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Online is a consulting firm and as such you may not always work with fellow Onliners or have an assignment that exactly matches your career path(in 9 reviews)

• "Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Supportive during crisis"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

While the world is going through this current COVID-19 crisis situation, Online's leadership team is supportive, transparent, and caring. They are doing everything possible to ensure Onliners are taken are of. I'm hearing exactly the opposite from friends about their companies. While I've always been proud to be an Onliner, I'm even prouder now.

Cons

Once the world is back to normal, would be nice to see the RRSP match program increased a bit.

April 23, 2020Chief People Officer

During times of uncertainty, such as we find ourselves in now, we recognize the importance of frequent communications, ensuring we take time to listen and continue to support one another. Even though there are things we cannot control right now, we can control how we act and respond. That is what we hope we are doing now. We are all in this together and will come out stronger when things return to a new normal. Thank you for the feedback.

2. "Good people"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time

Pros

A lot of nice people to work with

Cons

It is not always you have a client to work on

January 14, 2021Chief People Officer

Working with great people is typically in the top 3 responses we get when we ask Onliners what they like best about working at Online. We couldn’t agree more. In terms of your con, you are right in saying that there are times when our consultants are at base camp in between client assignments. When that happens, we encourage team members to work on their professional development or get involved in internal initiatives that can help build their skills and keep them engaged. If you find yourself at base camp, I encourage you to reach out to your Career Mentor to ensure it is time well spent. Thanks for your feedback! Please feel free to reach out to me directly any time – rian@obsglobal.com.

3. "Overall, a great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Reasonable benefits that have been getting better over the years, and an awesome Professional Development program. I haven't experienced any "political" or cultural toxicity during my time here that seems to plague other companies, the overall culture here is great.

Cons

Most of the client-business relationship team (or business developers, or whatever they are called these days) seems to put 99% of their effort into the client part of the relationship, and seem to put minimal effort in maintaining any kind of relationship with their "resources", i.e. the consultants working their contract. I have only had one that put reasonable effort in keeping regular contact with us consultants and actually organizing get-togethers which greatly helped maintain the team's mood and morale. For some, there may be a considerable barrier to advancing your career competency level. This involves a great effort in contributing to the social culture of the company. For example, it may not be enough that you are highly skilled in your area of expertise and that you have great consulting skills; you must also be able to regularly contribute effort and content directly into the company's internal and external social groups, and maintain your internal networks and relationships with other employees. This is great for many people, but there may be many others where this could be a hinderance to be successful in your career here.

4. "Great Place To Be"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. smart people around you 2. always new projects, ideas, teams etc. (that`s all about consulting path) 3. great management, culture, office

Cons

I`ve not found it yet. Someone can say that consultants don`t have enough communication with coworkers (consulting reality)

December 6, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I’m glad that your time at Online has been a positive experience. We work hard to hire the best people and put them into the right roles where they can be successful and grow. We hear from a lot of people that they love our culture. Sounds like you do too! It is a consulting reality that our team members are not always working together – sometimes they’re on teams with clients instead of other Onliners. We do our best to provide opportunities for Onliners to connect through Team Meetings, activities with career teams, and other events. In this time of COVID, our connections are virtual of course. We’re all looking forward to the time when we can be connecting in person again! If you have ideas for how we can improve communications and connections, please feel free to reach out to me directly any time to discuss – rian@obsglobal.com. (If you prefer, you can send an anonymous note to Chuck (link on the home page of our SharePoint portal) and he can pass it along to me.

5. "Not the best place to work at!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Applications Developer

I worked at Online Business Systems full-time

Pros

like anywhere else, there are some good people...

Cons

employees are cash-cows... that's how you feel working here.

January 14, 2021Chief People Officer

I am sorry to hear how you felt when you worked with us. It’s not something we typically hear from our team members because that is contrary to the environment we are trying to create. We do our best to stay in touch with our consultants and ensure we put transition plans in place if folks feel they need a change. We want team members to grow and push themselves. It looks like we fell short in your case and I am disappointed we did. I hope you have found an opportunity where you are happy. Thanks for the feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me directly any time – rian@obsglobal.com.

6. "Overall good"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Management, Nice colleagues, You learn a lot

Cons

They don't choose the best projects all the time and can go with anything

December 6, 2020Chief People Officer

We appreciate when former Onliners take the time to provide a review, so thank you. I’m glad your overall experience at Online was a positive one. You’re right, some of our engagements are more exciting than others… that is sometimes the reality of consulting. We work hard to ensure that these are the minority and that our team members enjoy and are challenged (in a good way) by the work they are doing. Thanks again for the review.

7. "So excited for being an Onliner"

Current Employee - Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Progressive companies, always open for ideas and improvements. A company that treats its employees like it treats its customers.

Cons

There is no perfect job. You need to adapt and make it worthwhile. At least, at Online, this adaptation is not hard. You can count on the Leadership team as well as a well-structured career development process.

December 6, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for the review. It’s great when our team members recognize that we are constantly looking to improve. We want to ensure we are a great place to work at and with. You’re right, there is no perfect job. We do our best to ensure that the right people are in the right roles because that’s when we all do our best work. I’m glad you appreciate our career development process. We do our best to support Onliners in their growth. Please feel free to reach out to me directly any time – rian@obsglobal.com.

8. COVID-19

"Online lives its values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

During the COVID situation where many consulting firms terminated staff and laid consultants off as projects came to a halt. Online's leadership team clearly stated their commitment to keeping the organization whole and followed through on that which no-doubt increased the financial impact of COVID, but kept the organization committed to its values. I can't say enough how important and meaningful these actions were. They demonstrated that the values stated as being important by the leadership team are truly important. Refreshing to be part of a team that acts consistently with what it believes.

Cons

I think the COVID situation has pushed Online to improve collaboration outside of Manitoba. This has been beneficial, but something that will require continued focus. Online can be more innovative internally. My exposure to our internal functions tells me there are opportunities to improve and do things better and in a more refreshing way.

September 28, 2020Chief People Officer

COVID-19 has proved to be a test of time for many companies. We thought long and hard about what steps we needed to take, but our team members were very much top of mind. We determined that we could cut back on some initiatives and expenses and all lean in so that we could keep the team intact. It was the right thing to do. As Online grows geographically, we will continue to promote collaboration between all geographies and practices. We know there is still work to be done here, but we are encouraged that we are making headway. Maybe the COVID-19 situation accelerated this as you say, but our “one Online” is very much top of mind for us. I agree that we have areas where we can be more innovative internally and drive efficiencies. We do a great job driving innovative solutions for our clients, but need to apply more the same thinking internally. Thanks for the feedback!

9. "Not so great place to work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Winnipeg, MB
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Online Business Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free Coffee and a unique combination of employees.

Cons

Cut throat company No work/life balance Spend way too much time on PR/HR

September 28, 2020Chief People Officer

I am sorry to hear that your short tenure with us was not a positive experience. While we appreciate you taking the time to provide a review, I struggle a bit in how to respond without better understanding what you mean by “cut throat” or “too much time on PR/HR.” As a member of our People Care team, I would agree that significant time and effort is focused on the people side of things as people are critical to our business. That’s not going to change. We hope your next opportunity is better aligned to your expectations. Thanks again and best of luck.

10. "Very professional"

4.0
    Current Employee - Online Job in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time

Pros

Healthy work environment highly competitive salaries

Cons

I don’t see any cons that stand out

August 3, 2020Chief People Officer

I’m not sure if you’ve left this review for the right company as you refer to your role as “Online Job.” Typically we see team members identify as “Current or Previous Employee. If you are in fact an employee (AKA Onliner), then we are glad you joined the team. We know that a healthy work environment is key to having a great culture. We monitor how well we are doing through Pulse Checks, Checkpoints, and other touchpoints with Onliners on a regular basis.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 158 English Reviews