OneAmerica Reviews

Found 300 of over 327 reviews

3.6
OneAmerica President and CEO  Scott Davison
Scott Davison
Pros
  • "Great location with free parking(in 55 reviews)

• "Great benefits and working towards a more progressive flexible schedule and work life balance culture(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No work life balance, management practices, high turn over(in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management had no clue what was going on down in the trenches(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 1.0

Beware!

Jul 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good location. Long standing organization. Mini-marathon.

Cons

Toxic environment. Highly political. Rampant favoritism and unfair treatment. Lacks innovation. Immature in every way. The company has been around for over 140 years, yet operates like it opened its doors last year. In constant "transformation mode" - how many transformations does it take??Technology across the company is completely outdated which leads to too much time, money and energy spent in the wrong way. Teams are supplemented by an enormous amount of contractors. Maybe in another 140 years this will all be figured out! Leaders lack quality and experience and are very good at talking a good game. They are often hand picked for promotions to do work that they know nothing about. Many people leaders are clueless and should not have responsibility over anyone's career. I had a newly hired leader that I thought was amazing and brought in what was needed to create change, but this person got sucked in quickly to operating just as bad as their leaders. So disappointing. CEO seems to care about the associates, but considering how he tolerates his leaders bad behavior, it's questionable. People have witnessed one of his executive direct reports bully associates.

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee

No focus on employee career advancement unless you’re in the good old boys club. Lots of ‘talk’ with little execution.

Jul 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are like family. Great location.

Cons

Watching females fail to be heard or experience any meaningful sort of career advancement has been a complete disappointment. I was literally told if I wanted meaningful advancement opportunities to look outside of not just Individual, but the company (which I did). “The company doesn’t have a good track record of taking care of their own and my hands are tied’.

8 people found this review helpful

OneAmerica Response

Digital Marketing Manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences working at OneAmerica. Even though you’ve already left the organization, your feedback matters to us - and this response indicates that we’ve heard you. We take development as well as our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion very seriously as they 're foundational to our culture as well as our success. We want every associate to feel heard as well as valued for their unique contributions. As such, we have multiple ways for associates to share their feedback directly or anonymously with our leadership team and Human Resources. We're disappointed to hear that you don’t feel that you had the opportunity to reach your full potential while at OneAmerica. We’ve invested in career development tools to help facilitate the collaborative process between our associates and leaders. We know that diversity of all types and at all levels makes us a stronger, more competitive enterprise. This certainly includes women. Once again, thank you for sharing. We wish you the very best in your new career!

3. 4.0

Good People

Jul 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at OA really care about each other and the work they do. The CEO has been admit about pushing a cultural shift program for the last 5 years and it has been working. The culture is really shifting to an open and honest work environment where feedback is heard from all levels. In addition, the CEO and CIO are both really stand up men, who care very much for their employees and our customers. Great PTO/benefits package and work life balance.

Cons

Pay could be better. While the CEO is a great guy and seems very trustworthy, there is one member of his staff that feels fake.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

OneAmerica is a Great Place to Work

Jul 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

OneAmerica cares about its associates, distribution partners, customers, and communities. OneAmerica has provided me an opportunity to grow and develop my career through various roles within its multiple lines of business. I have been strongly supported by my leaders throughout my journey.

Cons

I have not experienced any downsides with working at OneAmerica. Of course, it has its challenges, not unlike any other company, namely around transforming processes and technology to better support our distribution partners and customers. Change sometimes feels more evolutionary than revolutionary, which at times can be a source of frustration. However, OneAmerica is acquiring and organizing talent -- and providing resources to support them -- to advance these efforts and ensure we are creating the best possible experience for the people we serve.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Organization focused on its culture and trying to do the right thing.

Jul 9, 2021 - Senior IT Leader in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at a various other organizations. I have never worked at a company that takes its culture this seriously. They are actively investing and building the culture. The people are phenomenal. Joining the company, means being part of a family. Just like all families - we have our ups and downs. But ultimately OA will always try and do the right thing.

Cons

There are very high expectations on OA leaders. This can at times result in leaders being expected to be perfect. It is impossible to live up to the expectations of your peers, leases and associates.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work with job growth

Jul 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/Life balance is a big plus

Cons

None so far that I can think of.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Love this place!

Jul 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Focus on people. Extremely supportive, empathetic and transparent during the pandemic. Company growing nicely and making appropriate investments in technology and people. Bringing in top tier talented colleagues where we need it. Hybrid work option for most employees. Paid above target bonus despite challenges of pandemic.

Cons

Like most life companies we struggle with managing old technology.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

OneAmerica

Jul 14, 2021 - Financial Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work and good benefits

Cons

Outside advisors do not receive the pension

9. 5.0
      Former Employee

$

Jul 13, 2021 - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company family atmosphere culture

Cons

lack of work life balance and support

Viewing 1 - 10 of 300 Reviews