Old Navy Seasonal Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sonia Syngal
  1. "Old Navy"

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Old Navy for less than a year

Pros

At old Navy, there is good management, good discount, nice people. Most of the tasks are easy to accomplish.

Cons

Hours are not very stable, customers tend to ruin the store, a lot of folding. Not enough instruction.

Advice to Management

I was mistrained on the cash (was not informed about a function) and then was given trouble for it, although I wasn't trained properly.

Old Navy2016-04-05

"NO Last Pay!"

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Old Navy for less than a year

Pros

= employee discount is good = co-workers/associates are kind and friendly and always willing to help = good food on special events

Cons

= median salary = the seniors are mean = the bosses are worst I only worked as a seasonal sales associate, for at least 2 months, the manager told me that it's my last day on the very same day. It doesn't matter to me as I only work few days, worst is, I never get my last paycheck. I am direct deposit so it's understood that it will be cut right away, so i asked one of the manager/supervisor and told me that... something went wrong on the system so the seasonal sales associates pay are affected. He told me that theyre going to send the checque next week. And guess what, nothing came! I was about to call the store but I am pissed!

Advice to Management

senior bosses please dont be a snob to the newbies as if you own the store!

Old Navy2018-03-07

"Mostly Disappointing"

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Lots of awesome coworkers Easy to get time off Great employee discount- but not so great when you consider that Old Navy frequently has items discounted a lot anyways. A genuinely excellent customer base- I can count the amount of unpleasant people I dealt with on one hand. Relaxed dress code- basically just dress decently, and don't have any seriously visible rival brands' logos on your clothes.

Cons

You get very little formal training- I got a bit of training with cash registers, but far too much of it was spent on making sure I "followed the right order" of steps, instead of actually showing us how to use the register properly. Which was embarrassing on the job for me, and led to a lot of learning as I went on working. They might knowingly try to schedule you outside of your given hours of availability, for... reasons best known to themselves, as they did once with me. And no apologies for the time I wasted trying, on multiple days, to get them to change it either (they did end up taking the shift away, which was alright with me). One more memorable instance of a lack of respect for boundaries involved their Jingle Jammies promotion- they FORCED every employee to perform a dance, once an hour, when a certain song came on. In front of everyone there. Customers were not barred from joining in. Seriously, search it on YouTube. To add further injury, I was scheduled in such a way, that the only time for me to learn the dance was on the day of performance. The store never seemed to be properly organized, despite our best efforts. I blame that, at least partially, on poor store management. Not investing in enough hours for enough workers kept the store in disarray, and helped keep my morale low. There are almost NO hours- on average, I got about 3-5 hours a week. I was a seasonal hire for the holiday season (offered to stay on past the holidays but I declined). It wasn't even just me- a manager of mine said he, for a period of time, got about 3 hours a week on average, before becoming a manager there. They probably pride themselves on having an "open communication culture", because they give you the personal numbers of relevant people- district manager, general store manager, etc- which I do appreciate. However, it is REALLY hard to get through to corporate Old Navy- as I learnt when I tried to get employment verification. On that note, they don't give out personal references, either. All you get as a reference is Headquarters' phone number (you can use the store's number too), and they will supposedly tell interested parties whether you worked for them or not. And NOTHING else. So the hard work that makes you an exceptional employee will never get recognized by them to anyone else, because they're afraid of getting sued for slander, or something. I tried to get employment verification to give to future employers (because I wanted to save everyone time, and because I don't trust Old Navy to remember me 2 years from now), and let me tell you, it is HARD to get through to them. I emailed customer service (it was the best I could do- couldn't find an email address for employment inquiries for employees. But hey, "open communication"!). Got directed to a phone number, which was massively unhelpful and led me through this labyrinth of automated options. I ended up getting sent to an AMERICAN tax website, never having spoken to a human voice on the other end, and still don't understand how to get any verification. If I sound like a grumpy old lady, I'm actually under 25. Old Navy has it's perks, but I would not work there again unless I had to. There just doesn't seem to be a culture of actually caring for employees there.

Advice to Management

Apathy costs more than you evidently think.

Old Navy2018-01-15

"could be great"

Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Old Navy for less than a year

Pros

Good discounts....relaxed casual atmosphere..fun at Christmas

Cons

praise means little....they tell you to your face how well you are doing then you are not kept on...treat you like a leper when you go back in to shop...no one speaks to you

Advice to Management

People have feelings....be honest

Old Navy2016-03-19

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Moncton, NB

I worked at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment and nice people to work with.

Cons

Very independent job, no chance to socialize with anybody.

Advice to Management

Commission would be a great incentive to workers to stay in the company

Old Navy2016-01-20

"Good place to start your retail career"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discounts at Old Navy (25%) , Gap (50%) and Banana Republic (50%). Friendly coworkers who answer your questions and assist you when they can. Unbelievable selection of clothes. Independent. There's always something to do.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, never scheduled for same time. Not enough hands on training, one 3 hour shift. Customers are consistently messy. Too many employees 60+ for one location

Advice to Management

The only problem that I have with this employer is that no one who works there is full-time other then the managers. Which totally sucks because majority of the employees have to get 2 part time jobs. The amount of shifts per week fluctuates from 1-4. Seems alright for someone who wants a very casual job but did not fit my needs for the hours. Had to get another job. Also, I believe they did not offer full-time... because they would not like to give benefits.

Old Navy2013-11-18
  7. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% discount off of clothes Usually respect you're availability

Cons

You get long weird hours during the holiday seasons, and can be hard as a working student.

Old Navy2019-11-18
  8. "My first time working at a place like this"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Brookline, MA

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

That make new friends.that I learn something new and be on my a game

Cons

That it maybe hard at first. That I might not get the whole process at first and my coworkers might be a little hard on me

Advice to Management

That I like people. I’m very nice I don’t get mad easily and that I’m hard working and I can get things done

Old Navy2019-09-11
  9. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule Managers and co-workers were very nice!

Cons

Give very little hours of work

Old Navy2019-08-04
  10. "Good part-time work"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Boone, NC

I worked at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Pros

fun retail seasonal job for decent money

Cons

retail position, so you deal with the public

Old Navy2019-06-06