Northwestern Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske
1,230 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Unlimited income potential if you are willing to work for it" (in 131 reviews)

• "All of the top performers are more than willing to help with certain skills or any questions you may have" (in 87 reviews)

1. "Lawyer"

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work, good pay, good benefits.

Cons

Only positive things to say.

Advice to Management

None

"Home Office Micro-Managing Hell on Earth"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time

Pros

Clean environment, free lunch and I still consider company to have excellent ethics in an industry where ethics are highly questioned. If you work hard, behave professionally, are willing to learn and adapt to the culture of this company, you can do well and earn a good income.

Cons

While NM remains a strong company, this is at least in part due to the obsessive and massive growth of our field force and almost singular goal of simply selling as many policies as possible. But the NM home office - once a mecca for workers in SE Wisconsin to seek out a long term, rewarding job - is going to hell. Morale is being utterly destroyed, primarily by way of new work management schemes based on the utter destruction of individualism and autonomy - things that any intelligent hard working people need in order to be happy and devoted to their job. The results? Terrible morale, sinking fast. We've had periods of low morale, but this is different. Older employees capable of retiring are leaving the second they can get out...newer employees simply job-hop to seek out something better. Everyone else is slowly becoming miserable, and when people speak up and virtually beg for relief and reconsideration of the things being done, we're just told "too bad - and prepare for more of the same". What on earth the end-game is here is a mystery. We're told it's about efficiency and happier customers - but they're using one-size fits all methods to fix things that aren't even broken. We all have jobs to do - tough jobs - yet spend enormous time in projects and meetings, not providing service to anyone.

Unless you're an executive level professional, or an attorney or a highly specialized, highly educated perspective employee, the only reason I could recommend someone come to NM in the current environment is to come in for a few years after school, gain some experience, pad the resume and leave. Newer older employees are not acclimating well, and no 20-somethings stay long.

NM is a great company to date...but I wouldn't marry it.

Advice to Management

Stubbornly stay the course at your own risk. When veteran employees are crying at their desks, people are working more hours than ever, you're bleeding experience & wisdom, and depending on a constant flow of new employees to fill holes, this is NOT a long term strategy. The founders of NM, and those that kept the flame burning for 150 years must be rolling in their graves right now.

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Great co workers

Cons

Too many internal meetings get in the way of actual job

4. "Great opportunity to build a long-term business"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sky is the limit. There is major opportunity to build a robust financial planning practice. Pension benefits and other bonus opportunities are great.

Cons

Early in your career, you are dependent on insurance sales to build revenue until you are sustainable in your wealth management practice. Also, NM has their own way of doing things. There's not much flexibility to build your clientele in your own way marketing wise.

"Full Time Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited Income, Flexibility and Impact. I started with the Company as an Intern in College in 2012. After graduation I started as a full-time Financial Advisor, building my practice with NM. I do both Wealth Management and Risk Management in the form of comprehensive financial planning. This opportunity has allowed me to provide and create a great income for my family while helping my community. I have built a team with people who I personally employ. This career has allowed me to help clients save and invest with the trust and confidence that only an Advisor and accountability partner can create.

The local offices are very diverse, however, have a common goal of putting the clients first. I would not recommend this career to someone that does not want autonomy and a challenge.

Cons

It is a very difficult industry. Financial Services and Wealth Management is not right for everyone and very similar to starting a business from scratch. Income can vary month to month, however, if you work hard you will succeed. This can be a good and bad thing depending on the person.

Advice to Management

Double down on the internship, it is a great opportunity and a better way to help Advisors build a business with a higher percentage chance of success.

6. "Good but tough"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Buckhead, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Buckhead, GA (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, you learn alot no matter what

Cons

Only a certain type of person can do this job. If youre not it, youll know within a fee months

7. "Good to start"

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I went on the interview for northwestern mutual, and the director seems very nice. After I got the offer, I start my training part time in here. People in the company are very nice and friendly and the work hour is very flexible. Since i just start the work, so i don't have that much experiences to share yet. But still looking forward to learn from here!

Cons

Some people are too focus on the work and forget to engage with other coworkers. Need to improve communication.

8. "Work Hard"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Greenwood Village, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Greenwood Village, CO (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reward to work hard. You get out what you put in. You can build the work-life balance that you want. It takes about 5 years to get to a good place.

Cons

Not everyone you talk to will want your help

9. "Financial Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Skokie, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, Flexible Hours, high commission, training, joint work

Cons

High pressure, awkward, joint work, full commission, no salary

Advice to Management

Excellent Management, but a bit pushy

"Still a good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Director-Milwaukee Home Office in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The direction to be at the center of clients financial lives makes sense based on today’s environment.

Cons

The constant reorganization is causing way to much disruption across the board.

Advice to Management

Slow down. Some change is good, but at the rate we are going, our clients won’t even recognize us in a few years.