Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

1,585 Ratings

3,656 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not very work/life balance oriented (in 65 reviews)

• No direction from upper management ever (in 109 reviews)

1. "Human Resources"

I worked at Northrop Grumman (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent base pay and benefits

Cons

Continuously changing policies and procedures and changes don't always add value.

"Exciting projects found within a monstrosity of a company"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work on some of the largest and most advanced defense contracts the DoD has awarded
    Very flexible work schedule
    9/80 schedule, i.e. every other Friday off is usually the "norm". Expect to work some off-Fridays though.
    Vacation accrual, i.e. rollover hours between calendar years up to generous maximums
    Paid overtime when working extra hours (has to be authorized, but that's usually pretty easy. Just 1x pay though, no time-and-a-half or anything)
    Loss of contracts or proposal does not mean you will get laid off. The company does a great job of finding employees other work when projects close out.
    Overall very friendly co-workers and some brilliant minds
    One of the most demographically diverse environments I've ever worked, especially considering the engineering industry
    Management is experienced and usually keeps the employee insulated from managerial nuisances
    They will pay for your education with generous applications of "the rules" in your favor. I have never taken advantage myself, but I've heard so many great things about the "EdAssist" program I have to mention it.

Cons

Fairly average pay and benefits, nothing special. 401k match maxes out at 7% for new employees, if you contribute 8%.
    Bonuses are only for top performers, based on your management performance review. They limit the recipients to ~10% at each level, so if you're new and below level 4 - good luck. Even if you get one, the amount is so small you don't even care to try the next year. I've seen about 3% of my gross salary one year when I was awarded the "top" level of review. Don't expect anything beyond your base salary.
    Absolutely no company-sponsored extras, i.e. no work-related parties, no freebies, no perks, not even break rooms or TVs in their so-called flagship campus "Space Park" in Redondo Beach. This campus is a historical wonder, but a modern-day joke for such a large company to still be working in.
    Enormous corporation (80,000+ employees) means you cannot even begin to understand the high-level management structure. You will see congratulatory emails about VIP-level promotions for people you have not only never heard of, but couldn't even figure out their role if you tried.
    Almost all of NG's business is from government contracts, most of which are defense related and a large portion of those classified SCI (the biggest exception is probably James Webb Space Telescope) This means lots of overhead, red-tape and process bloat. Be prepared for a one-line software code change to take 6 months and cost $1 million. SIGH.
    Business travel can be frequent, depending on your project. The business travel rules are nuts and an absolute nightmare to work though since you have to adhere to the government FAR regulations. Booking a short domestic trip can be way more trouble than necessary, especially when submitting expenses on the return.

3. "Rolling Meadows Location"

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Large company with several job opportunities for mainly lateral movement. The ability to flex work times and 9/80 schedules is great. Tuition assistance offering is higher than similar companies.

Cons

Culture has been to promote by tenure without considering qualifications or capability. As a top hiring company for veterans, there's a lack of support and appreciation for reservists . It's frowned upon when it's time to go on any orders during the work week. There's no real emphasis of work-life balance by immediate management, but it's advertised throughout the company.

Advice to Management

For management to be more involved and provide actual management to its employees. Provide mentoring for career progression within the company to limit employees from leaving the company.

5. "Subcontracts Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with lots of opportunities'

Cons

lot of red tape with upper management

Advice to Management

People. It's about the people

6. "Good so far!"

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Of the defense contractors, NG is probably the most ethical and has the greatest commitment to maintaining integrity.
    Intelligent, Hard Working People. (Mostly)
    Most individuals are kind.
    Variety of interesting tasks

Cons

Bureaucracy and Red Tape hamstrings projects and deadlines.
    Some positions are underpaying compared to other (non-defense) industries.
    Feast or Famine in terms of workload.
    Hours can be long depending on contract or proposal deadlines.

Advice to Management

NGC needs to get out of its own way in terms of red tape and its risk adversity.

7. "Global Supply Chain Manager"

Current Employee - Global Supply Chain Manager in Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Global Supply Chain Manager in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities for women; focus on warfighter needs; team atmosphere

Cons

Long hours; can be high stress; demanding position

8. "Opportunities and Outlooks"

Former Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best place ever to work.

Cons

Originally, I worked for TRW, in 2003/4 the company was purchased by Northrop Grumman, and they maintained the high standards which TRW had established, and it continues to this day. Therefore, I have NO cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. "Electronic Manufacturing Specialist"

Current Employee - Electronic Manufacturing Specialist in Linthicum, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Electronic Manufacturing Specialist in Linthicum, MD (US)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a union job so we get guaranteed pay raises, excellent medical benefits and great investment opportunities.

Cons

Some people in the company have worked here for too long and are somewhat jaded
    The size of the company can cause new hires to get lost and sometimes frustrated.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to develop an in house mentorship/training programs for new employees who show exceptional promise, as a means to retain and cultivate current talent for the future.

10. "Overall, a solid place to work"

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Melbourne, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Melbourne, FL (US)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People that care about their work, really exciting programs, serving the military

Cons

Often tough to get visibility, a lot of systems engineering and not as much development/design

Advice to Management

Keep your word, help your employees develop and pursue their goals, make your employees feel important

11. "Great"

Former Employee - Intern Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Corporate Responsibility
    - Great company culture
    - Takes R&D very seriously

Cons

- Company can be very bureaucratic

Showing 3,656 of 3,991 reviews