Northland Power Reviews

1. 5.0

Positive experience overall

Jun 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive salary, benefits, great rrsp matching plan. Fairly positive workplace culture and supportive management/colleagues.

Cons

A few growing pains as the company expands, but the growth also provides opportunities to gain experience in new areas.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent Growing Company

Apr 3, 2022 - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great corporate culture - Great people, very helpful - Fast growing company so lots to learn - Opportunity to rise in ranks - Good name in the market - Fair compensation with decent benefits

Cons

- Due to high growth, human capital thinly spread, leading to difficult work-life balance - Could do much better on compensation and benefits (2 weeks leave for managerial level is quite low)

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Work life balance

Apr 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good industry to work with

Cons

No work life balance there

4. 2.0

make an educated decision

Feb 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

really good benefits - outstanding pension match. head of Board of Directors was previous CEO. most people are really nice, driven, smart. Pauline & Wendy are very smart & taking the company places.

Cons

expect long hours, odd hours & little to no work-life balance. in the words of the chief people officer "long hours are expected and the nature of the work we do". jr or sr, does not matter, you will likely work in asia, the eu and the americas. you will have to work extra hours to get the work done b.c. teams are small. if you want to work here b.c. you think the things northland does are cool, really negotiate for a good salary before you go in. you won't have much time to socialize with coworkers w.o. making up the time later. every team is different, but i found this was the experience across the board. verdict: if you are very career-oriented, northland may be perfect for you. if you want a 9-5, look elsewhere.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee

Good software, bad training

Jan 27, 2022 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

good salary, good benefits, good software

Cons

micromanaged, bad training, impatient attitude

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Decent

Aug 25, 2021 - Maintenance
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fair wages and good benefits.

Cons

Too lean with man power.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Culture, good pay, good benefits. Can be hard to advance.

Aug 12, 2021 - Finance Manager in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Salary Good Benefits RRSP contributions above average Good culture, great people to work with (many I consider friends) Some very hard working people at the company Senior Management very approachable and appreciate input Management understanding of personal issues (especially curing COVID) Safety and Mental health for employees is important Still has a smaller company feel given its size

Cons

Can be slow to make important decisions Can be slow to advance career even if you have strong talent and are a team player (especially when senior managers in are area of interest are not good leaders or managers). Vacation time standard in Ontario (nothing special) Growing pains with the company becoming more global Development teams can be overly optimistic on projects just to get them pushed through which in the long run will not benefit FCF. Lack of accountability in certain departments which sets up others to fail. A small few senior managers should not be in those roles due to incompetency Meetings get in the way of other priorities that require a sense of urgency. (Need better delegation from Senior Management if they are too busy with other objectives)

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0

No real direction

May 26, 2021 - Accounting
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some people are ok/ nice. Opportunity does exist to gain experience in different departments.

Cons

Money and benefits are below competition, especially at the manager and below level. People are overworked and poorly rewarded for it and wonder if they enjoy what they are doing. There isn't a real direction or company objective, it just seems they want to acquire, acquire without any real concern for a plan of how it all fits together. Some managers are very rude and not inclusive of others in their language and actions. Limited diversity at manager or higher level, especially in front office/ external facing positions.

3 people found this review helpful

Northland Power Response

Talent Partner

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback! I note your points regarding pay and benefits and while I cannot provide specific details, our reward strategy is important to us and is a key focus in our 5 year plan. We are looking at different ways to evaluate and reward skills, experience, and behavior and will cascade further details through our Management teams as we develop our strategy. I also note your comments regarding your experience with your Manager. We are currently developing some employee feedback tools so that we can listen and respond to our colleagues feedback. Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review!

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

good company

Jan 10, 2021 - Risk Analyst Intern in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

My colleagues are really nice, and my manager is a very patient teacher

Cons

Didn't see any cons since I'm working from home this year

10. 1.0

none

Oct 28, 2020 - Director in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

no pros at all to mention

Cons

too many negative culture and micro managing

1 person found this review helpful