Nordstrom "great company" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Nordstrom Employee Reviews about "great company"

Updated Nov 4, 2019

3.6
Nordstrom CEO Erik B. Nordstrom and Peter E. Nordstrom (no image)
Erik B. Nordstrom and Peter E. Nordstrom
Pros
  • "Working with the best customer service team(in 684 reviews)

• "Great company morale employees work as a team to help each other(in 453 reviews)

Cons
  • "Commission can get messed up with returns(in 724 reviews)

• "Could work long hours/ be asked to stay longer(in 604 reviews)

Reviews about "great company"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Nordstrom part-time

Pros

Great company culture! Management gives many opportunities to succeed if you want to. Good benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Nordstrom2019-01-25
  2. "Great Company, But on the Sales Floor it's Very 'High School'."

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Nordstrom for less than a year

Pros

- Company has impressive values - Company has a great reputation - Ability to create your own pay cheques (but only if your commission is higher than your hourly wage). - HR was very friendly. - Very organized company. - Impressive Training Process. - (Some) Really great co-workers. I truly believe this is a great company with very strong and wonderful values. Once it gets down to the sales floor,... things start to deteriorate.

Cons

To be clear, I can only speak for my experience at one store and in my department(s), I cannot speak for all of Nordstrom. - Department managers and assistants do not seem fit for management and are very unprofessional. They gossip about employees to other employees right on the sales floor, they choose favourites and treat employees differently, the top sales people are exempt from tasks that are expected and... demanded from other employees. - (Some/most) Top sellers get away with everything, because they are making the company money. A few of them were rude to co-workers, aggressive competitors (not healthy competition), often stole sales from co-workers or tried to, had a poor attitude, were great with customers and made great sales but were not team players and did not put in the effort that other sales associates did. - In the training process you are told to deal with minor employee misunderstandings/conflict on your own before bringing it to management. Which makes sense. You handle your business like a mature and responsible adult. I ended up doing this when I felt it was needed and I was treated differently and rudely by the employee and management. - It was a very 'high school' environment. Lots of gossip, drama and special privilege.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to who you're promoting to management and pay closer attention to your employees and their experiences. - Only 1 out of 4 department managers and assistants I dealt with daily was a great manager. - Being a top seller does not mean they're "being the best team". If everyone in the department has had a personal issue with this top seller and they have a bad attitude towards co-workers, why are... they being rewarded?

Nordstrom2017-08-07
  3. "Great company"

Assistant Manager

I worked at Nordstrom for less than a year

Pros

Great company with a supportive structure

Cons

Friendly competition can cause an environment of envy due to commission based structure

Nordstrom2017-05-03
  4. "great place to work"

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

great company, i would recommend

Cons

hours are long, discount isnt high enough

Nordstrom2017-03-18
  5. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Commission based, great company culture, good training, paid training

Cons

Small discount, worked overtime on Christmas eve, commission varies depending on department

Advice to Management

Make commission the same throughout departments, get door codes to employees quicker.

Nordstrom2016-10-12

"Vancouver Flagship-- not worth the hype"

Former Employee - Server in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great company to be a part of-- I helped open their flagship - Staff are friendly in every department, great team gatherings - Very high dedication to customer service

Cons

- Middle management did not feel supported, therefore the staff did not feel supported by managers.

Advice to Management

Focus on the staff that are experienced and are making great sales. Don't just focus on problem solving with the staff that are complaining all the time.

Nordstrom2016-10-17

"Department Manager"

Current Employee - Selling Department Manager in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

-discount (even though it is not that good...33% for managers, 20% for sales people) -idealistic goal of company culture -great company to work for if motivated by money -promote from within philosophy -pays well

Cons

-managers are ill prepared for the amount of work asked of them/no support when things go wrong-will just get fired/demoted -American company operating in Canada with an American attitude -people are pushed into jobs they are not ready for and then demoted -zero work life balance -the only way to get ahead is to push other people down

Advice to Management

to give more support to employees that is actually useful. there are too many managers who dont know what they are doing and are too afraid to ask for help at risk of being fired for not being ready for their job. there needs to be a sense of support and community. It cant be that only the mean/strong survive/get promoted.

Nordstrom2016-10-02
  8. "Love this company"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Nordstrom part-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Overall company culture and atmosphere is amazing.

Cons

Like all retail hours, they are not the best.

Nordstrom2019-11-04
  9. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture, great management

Cons

Certain teams can have a political feel

Nordstrom2019-10-21
  10. "Great opportunities!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

Pros

- great company culture - so many opportunities to move up in the company and get involved in store events - HR was so easy to work with

Cons

- sometimes it was hard to get scheduled a full 40 hours during holiday seasons but other than that nothing bad to say

Nordstrom2019-09-27