Nile Academy Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Nile Academy Reviews

Updated Dec 2, 2019

3.3
Nile Academy Principal Saadettin Ozcan (no image)
Saadettin Ozcan
  1. "Happy working Environment"

I have been working at Nile Academy full-time

Pros

Very friendly environment, everybody are helping each other. Administration take care all staff.

Cons

Overload and carrying multiple job titles and functions on one persons shoulder is making it hard to work.

Advice to Management

Support your team fairly

Nile Academy2017-11-06
  2. "Good experience for starting out"

I worked at Nile Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good experience for anyone who wants to get their feet wet with teaching. A pretty relaxed environment not too stressful or high maintenance. Students are friendly with occasional problems in class management but that is typical with any school.

Cons

Administration needs to trust teachers and provide better salaries and overtime. There is no hope of furthering your career at this school. Hate to say it but male teachers are favoured over female teachers. Work here for 1 year, get your experience, then head out the door.

Advice to Management

Please learn better management styles.

Nile Academy2019-12-03
  3. "Do not work here"

I worked at Nile Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leaving the school was the only pro of my experience

Cons

This school needs to be shut down. If you are a woman working at the school, you will be blamed for everything you do. Students will get away with bad behaviour. You get no admin support and you end up paying out of your own pocket to pay for resources.

Advice to Management

get better training

Nile Academy2019-10-01

"Human Rights Violations -avoid!!"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Toronto, ON

I worked at Nile Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Other new teachers became friends

Cons

At the boys’ school, female teachers faced daily sexual, verbal, and emotional harassment from the students and the management victim-blamed them and told them to “wear longer skirts” (longer than knee-length). Male teachers are respected and are allowed to get away with behaviour (yelling at students) that the women were swiftly penalized for. Toxic environment for women -avoid!!

Advice to Management

Learn to appropriately support female teachers and stop being sexist

Nile Academy2018-12-02
  5. "A great place to work."

I worked at Nile Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff, like one big family, positive work environment, supportive administration. Great place to start your career. I worked there for 2 years and I miss it!

Cons

It's a non-profit organization so you can't expect a huge salary.

Nile Academy2017-10-26
  6. "Employee-Friendly Work Environment"

Former Freelancer - Computer Teacher in Toronto, ON

I worked at Nile Academy for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee-Friendly Work Environment. Administration is supportive and understanding. If you are willing to work and passionate about teaching, this is the place for you. On many issues, teachers make decisions about their students' achievements.

Cons

There are may students from different backgrounds. Some students are not native English speakers. It can be difficult to teach, even communicate sometimes.

Advice to Management

Benefits for staff.

Nile Academy2015-03-13

"Great Place to work"

Computer Science Teacher in Toronto, ON

I worked at Nile Academy

Pros

Very friendly environment. Administration is very suportive, and will try everything to help you out along the way.

Cons

Some students are new to English and it can be challenging at times to communicate or teach.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Nile Academy2015-03-07

"Supportive Work Environment"

Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at Nile Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am part of the administration at Nile Academy. I have had a wonderful experience with this school. The staff is supportive and understanding. These are the best hours I have had at a full-time job. Some of the students can at times be taxing on ones patience but I suppose that would be the case at any school. Overall though the students here are polite and well-behaved. They make the work here fulfilling. The team of teachers and management is a pleasure to work with. Some of them have been with the Academy for years. I have seen teachers go well beyond their call of duty in order to better assist the students.

Cons

The pay could always be better. Even though there aren't the usual benefits of healthcare and such the management is very understanding and tries to help as much as possible.

Advice to Management

A clear cut method of dealing with student disciplinary issues will be a great plus at the Academy.

Nile Academy2015-01-28

"Great place for begginers"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Nile Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I needed some teaching experience to find a job at TDSB. Private schools are best to get experience to start to a career.

Cons

School was small and students were kinda hard to manage first months but at the end I got it done.

Advice to Management

More wages if possible, and may be closer to the staff!

Nile Academy2015-01-28

"Great working environment but the wage is too low"

I worked at Nile Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

The administration is willing to support any teacher that is committed to Nile Academy and the teaching profession. I am shocked at some of the comments that have been made. These are a few disgruntled teachers who have chosen teaching because they did not have any other choice. Everyone was made aware of what they would earn. To use this and attempt to tarnish the reputation of the school is not cool. I know that many teachers were let go due to shortage of work and making comments of this nature is uncouth. The best part of Nile Academy is that the administration does trust teachers and their professional judgment. If you are willing to work, are passionate about teaching, this is the place for you. On many issues, teachers make decisions about their students' achievements. There are circumstances when principals override your decisions, but this is a rarity. Grades are not boosted; (this is a lie; i can tell you from personal experience that this is not true because the last thing the school wants is for students to go and flunk in their post-secondary studies which thereby tarnishes the image of the school). Another lie is that the admin is unaware of Growing Success. I cannot believe this. We've had so many workshops on this with admins present that I cannot recall. In addition, only about 10 percent of the students pay about $ 20, 000 in tuition, the rest pay anywhere between 4-10. In this fee, dormitory, food, transportation, among others, are all included. The issue that I take is that most of the negative comments are unfounded.

Cons

- You are expected to be at the school up uptil 4:30 - 5 pm to provide additional assistance to students. - Wages are not very good (roughly net monthly income is around $ 2500-2900).

Advice to Management

They need to build a stronger relationship with their staff.

Nile Academy2014-08-21