Nile Academy Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Saadettin Ozcan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Happy working Environment"

I have been working at Nile Academy full-time

Pros

Very friendly environment, everybody are helping each other. Administration take care all staff.

Cons

Overload and carrying multiple job titles and functions on one persons shoulder is making it hard to work.

Advice to Management

Support your team fairly

2. "A great place to work."

I worked at Nile Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, like one big family, positive work environment, supportive administration. Great place to start your career.

I worked there for 2 years and I miss it!

Cons

It's a non-profit organization so you can't expect a huge salary.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Computer Science Teacher in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Computer Science Teacher in Toronto, ON

Pros

Very friendly environment. Administration is very suportive, and will try everything to help you out along the way.

Cons

Some students are new to English and it can be challenging at times to communicate or teach.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Supportive Work Environment"

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at Nile Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am part of the administration at Nile Academy. I have had a wonderful experience with this school. The staff is supportive and understanding. These are the best hours I have had at a full-time job. Some of the students can at times be taxing on ones patience but I suppose that would be the case at any school.

Overall though the students here are polite and well-behaved. They make the work here fulfilling. The team of teachers and management is a pleasure to work with. Some of them have been with the Academy for years. I have seen teachers go well beyond their call of duty in order to better assist the students.

Cons

The pay could always be better. Even though there aren't the usual benefits of healthcare and such the management is very understanding and tries to help as much as possible.

Advice to Management

A clear cut method of dealing with student disciplinary issues will be a great plus at the Academy.

"Great place for begginers"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Nile Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I needed some teaching experience to find a job at TDSB. Private schools are best to get experience to start to a career.

Cons

School was small and students were kinda hard to manage first months but at the end I got it done.

Advice to Management

More wages if possible, and may be closer to the staff!

"Great working environment but the wage is too low"

Former Employee - Teacher in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Teacher in Toronto, ON

I worked at Nile Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The administration is willing to support any teacher that is committed to Nile Academy and the teaching profession. I am shocked at some of the comments that have been made. These are a few disgruntled teachers who have chosen teaching because they did not have any other choice. Everyone was made aware of what they would earn. To use this and attempt to tarnish the reputation of the school is not cool. I know that many teachers were let go due to shortage of work and making comments of this nature is uncouth.

The best part of Nile Academy is that the administration does trust teachers and their professional judgment. If you are willing to work, are passionate about teaching, this is the place for you. On many issues, teachers make decisions about their students' achievements. There are circumstances when principals override your decisions, but this is a rarity. Grades are not boosted; (this is a lie; i can tell you from personal experience that this is not true because the last thing the school wants is for students to go and flunk in their post-secondary studies which thereby tarnishes the image of the school). Another lie is that the admin is unaware of Growing Success. I cannot believe this. We've had so many workshops on this with admins present that I cannot recall.

In addition, only about 10 percent of the students pay about $ 20, 000 in tuition, the rest pay anywhere between 4-10. In this fee, dormitory, food, transportation, among others, are all included. The issue that I take is that most of the negative comments are unfounded.

Cons

- You are expected to be at the school up uptil 4:30 - 5 pm to provide additional assistance to students.
    - Wages are not very good (roughly net monthly income is around $ 2500-2900).

Advice to Management

They need to build a stronger relationship with their staff.

"Happy to teach here"

Current Employee - Teacher in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Teacher in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Nile Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

students and parents respect teachers. administration has an open door policy. they conduct weekly school improvement meetings. a lot of social activity programs for teachers and employees.
    small classroom sizes.

Cons

no benefit, a bit less salary.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication with employees, teachers like it.

"Terrible administration with no communication among them."

Pros

None - Don't be fooled for the school's "beautiful" exterior. it's all a front and it's fake.

Cons

This is more of a business than an actual school. Minimum wages for the teachers and expects the teachers to work over time with NO pay! It's a zoo of a school.

Advice to Management

If you treat your teachers like crap, you'll be treated like crap. Learn to control your children and respect for your staff.

"Very Friendly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Nile Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teachers, and administrators are very friendly. Small classroom sizes gives you an opportunity to interact with all students in the class. Apparently, this year for the first time ESL students and students with special needs are being addressed individually. I liked how during the Interview the employers put all the conditions in front of you so there are no surprises later.

Cons

Mostly here at Nile Academy everything is ok, the students here are more respectful, However some of the need a little extra attention and assistance on their academics. More hours on ESL and Spec Ed. would be perfect.

Advice to Management

To work closer with the teachers, i. e. a close Communication is very important.

"unprofessional"

Pros

It was Easy to get hired, and the accoladesd they present fools you into thinking that it is a good school.

Cons

This company does not provide good opportunity for children, They do not pay a fair salary after having promised a higher salary, they said that if I did not like the wage I could leave. Educational standards are low and the attitude is lax.No benefits. Pay does not arrive on time or cannot cash cheque for a few days.

Advice to Management

To implement proper procedures and rules for staff and children., Provide quality professional advancement and work on an evidance based model.