Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.1
Newton Europe Founding Directors Andrew Hawes, Kevin Jones, and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes, Kevin Jones, and Tom Wedgwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities" (in 14 reviews)

• "The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "You do have to spend significant time away from home during the week, but it’s made up for by having clear weekends" (in 37 reviews)

• "Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week" (in 8 reviews)

"OK for Getting Experience"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Will give anyone a chance to start out- a great place to get your foot in the door and gain experience!

Cons

High turnover, lots of lay-offs during slow season

2. "Operations Consultant"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

colleagues, interesting work, attentive management

Cons

must be comfortable living 5 days a week in a hotel

"Challenging and fun"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really love the culture - focus on people and the care that everyone has for doing a good job with clients.

Cons

The projects are hard - it’s what makes it feel worthwhile - but it can be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on people and our focus on clients.

4. "The epitome of 'Work hard, play hard'"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with some of the most driven, capable and likeable people I believe I'll ever meet.
    You get given responsibility very early on, being part of a project and on client site everyday from week 5.
    Social side of the job and the full social calendar with fortnightly company-wide meetups, subsidised weekends away (skiing, surfing, sailing, hiking, cycling) and summer/christmas parties which are like no company my friends work for!

Cons

Due to the challenging work (intellectually, behaviourally and emotionally), early responsibility, and the fact everyone genuinely wants to do the best they can there can be some really tough times. However without those we wouldn't gain the experience which ensures everyone develops quickly and feels like they are always being stretched.
    Being away mon-fri can be hard and isn't for everyone - we wouldn't be able to gain the insights and deliver the work and results for our clients without working hand in hand with them and I wouldn't have had so many opportunities or as deep understanding of all the organisations I've worked in without this being the case. Additionally the people I've worked with have become my closest friends which can be really fun and makes up for living away during the week. So whilst I had my reservations at the start and still have my weeks I want my own bed it wasn't too big of an issue for me.

5. "Operations Consultant"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Very dynamic and friendly environment

Cons

Long work hours, away from home mon-fri

"Very profit based"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Very interesting work, great variety and pay.

Cons

Very profit focused, doesn’t sit well with those who put doing the right thing above making money the quickest way possible.

Advice to Management

Stick to what you market your brand as. I was attracted to this firm because you claimed to be honest, ethical and uncompromising, putting actual results above monetary gain. Definitely not what I saw.

"If you want responsibility, challenge, and a great culture, look no further!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get responsibility from day one. You'll be managing your own clients and delivering your own workstreams; there's no hiding behind a laptop or report-writing. It's a perfect balance of technical problem solving and working with people.

The problems are real and the work is varied. You could spend the morning in an operating theatre, on a submarine, or on a factory floor, and the afternoon crunching numbers with senior stakeholders in the boardroom. You'll leave site at the end of the week knowing you've added value and having make a tangible difference.

Excellent development opportunities. Feedback and development is fundamental to Newton culture, and everyone has your back to get you to reach your potential. There are no formal qualifications, but the hands-on experience you get at such an early point in your career will speak for itself.

The social side and job perks are brilliant. There are six weekends away with the company each year, of which you can attend as many or as few as you wish. These include ski trips, activity sports, secret-location city breaks and Edinburgh Fringe, among others. Fortnightly Review Nights and Review Days mean you get to see colleagues from other projects frequently, who will inevitably become some of your closest friends.

Cons

The nature of the job means you're away from home a lot, and this won't suit everyone. However, many people find moving around the country and working with different teams/clients exciting.

Workloads fluctuate so there'll be long hours on some weeks. You're guaranteed to be home by 6pm every Friday, and there's strictly no weekend work, so you can switch-off at the weekend even if it can be difficult to do so mid-week.

Advice to Management

Prioritise maintaining the culture and spirit that make Newton so special as we grow.

8. "Fantastic Product and Special Culture"

Current Employee - Head of Recruiting in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Recruiting in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Newton has an amazing story of growth - built on the quality of people we've hired and the quality of what we deliver to our clients. We continue to break into new markets and impress new clients and thus the sales forecast is very strong.
    People within the business have a strong attachment to it and demand better from every function and project - as such we are continually improving what we do and there is a strong sense of ownership and responsibility.

Cons

Everyone at Newton is so committed to the growth and success of the business it creates quite a culture of hard work and success. It's matched by a strong play hard culture too and personal time is respected, but it probably isn't the company for someone who wants a 9-5 with little pressure.
    Newton can be a challenging environment to join when you join as an experienced professional. It's becoming better as we grow, but the initial shock of joining a company with such a strong culture and beliefs can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on maintaining the bits of our culture which make us special while encouraging diversity to keep us evolving.

"Mixed reviews"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

- Career progression
    - Salary and benefits
    - Social events

Cons

- Young, male, middle class dominant culture - lacks diversity
    - Poor work/life balance

"great guys"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

amazingly talented people, high energy and fast pace

Cons

very senior management can seem a bit disconnected from the body of the organsiation