Newton Europe Principal Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Principal Consultant

5.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 32 reviews)

• A lot of travel and at times need to put in some long hours (in 7 reviews)

1. "Surround yourself with exceptionally talented, driven and fun people here!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's no stopping you here. The training is excellent, you'll be running your own part of a project in no time (straight from graduate or experienced hire), the feedback culture is extensive, open and fair (giving you all the help you'll need to push yourself, while actively seeking feedback upwards, too) and the culture is incredibly fun. The company adds impressive value to its clients and there's no "small cog in a big machine" syndrome here: right from the beginning, what you do counts.

The company also runs on a growth model, so retaining its staff is key, and I'd challenge any company in the world with the social side of Newton. Everyone gets on with everyone else, and the Directors invest a huge amount of time, money, blood, sweat and tears to ensure the work hard culture is kept in check with a play harder attitude.

Cons

It's hard work. There's no denying it. And for most of the jobs, you'll need to be prepared to live away from home during the week, at least in the early years. However, since everyone's in the same boat and because of the growth model, everyone's determined to ensure you work in a sustainable manner. Quite a few of the senior guys have had some time out travelling at the 4/5 year mark and come back to drive the company on and that kind of thing is supported by the Directors.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture, and ensure we balance the growth of the company at a rate everyone can sustain as we become more and more in demand from our clients

2. "A place to progress"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Having worked elsewhere I wish I'd joined Newton out of university - the pace at which I see junior consultants develop is quite amazing. Within 12 months Consultants are leading work streams, supporting their senior colleagues and more important adding significant value to clients. Admittedly Newton has good material to work with, recruiting based on intelligence, energy and emotional maturity, however the level of training, support, feedback and challenge offered is fantastic.
    The work we do is varied, challenging and often cutting edge helping to really change the way organisations operate.
    Management are also respectful and responsive - as an example, after a period of high demand a year or so ago the holiday policy was improved overnight to offer staff up to 5 extra days free.

Cons

You will work hard at Newton - but most people are willing to invest that effort for the returns. Having said that it doesn't need to mean working hugely long hours, you just have to be energetic and on the ball.
    Newton does have a culture and it won't be for everyone, however, most people like it and it's usually easy to judge for yourself through the recruitment process.

Advice to Management

Don't put growth above the company values.