Newton Europe Ops Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ops Consultant

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 32 reviews)

• A lot of travel and at times need to put in some long hours (in 7 reviews)

"Always look out for yourself! No-one else will"

Former Employee - Ops Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Ops Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Very fast initial growth, pay is good, you will quickly become confident speaking to people at all different levels within an organisation, they were keen to stress that junior employees should not work at weekends, many people were able to get unpaid leave if they asked for it, top level of management are well liked and respected by everyone.

Cons

Employee development very dependent on projects and individual (often low-seniority) colleagues, allowing employees to get a relatively long way into their career without becoming better at the things they needed to do to be promoted. Many things are said to employees that aren't true in practice (e.g. importance of manufacturing to the business is actually VERY low, but majority of employees want to do those projects). Company sponsored activities to deal with difficult consulting lifestyle are heavily alcohol fuelled, which can lose its fun over time.

2. "Trusted to deliver outstanding results and given the support and guidance to do so confidently."

Current Employee - Ops Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Ops Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having only worked in a few other companies, it's hard to know actually how different Newton is, but from what I can gather from mates I was at Uni with now living in London, I don't think any of the other consultanties offer the same kind of career progression, support, trust and opportunities to deliver work so early on. If you prove your ability you will absolutely fly and achieve amazing results for the clients you work with and for me, this is the most satisfying thing about the job. I know it sounds cheesy but unlike a strategy consultant, or a management consultant you are able to leave a client after 6 months to a year and see, hear and feel the difference to the organisation you've been working with - in terms of the way they talk, think, act and do the thing they do. We really do transform organisations on a grand scale, and the scale on which we do this is ever increasing.

The people are fantastic, as is the general level of energy, enthusiasm, happiness (I have no idea what the reviewer who said we don't smile was talking about, I'm renowned for never not smiling) and intelligence. I am constantly humbled by those around me and how good a job they do. This also motivates me to keep pushing myself - just to keep up.

Cons

Sometimes the relentlessness of the job catches up with you. You have to be on the ball 5 days a week, 16 hours a day (not to say you're working), but often thinking about things and what is next, and as you progress through your career as you become responsible for more junior consultants the demands certainly stack up, however, support is given as well as lots of relevant and timely training.

Advice to Management

Don't stop pushing the boundaries of what we are aiming to achieve. If we get it right there's no reason we shouldn't be able to influence things on a national scale, but temper this with the right growth rate. The current rate of stretch is just about manageable!