Newton Europe Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Consultant

4.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 33 reviews)

• Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week (in 8 reviews)

1. "Exciting varied work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to develop
    Fun extra-curricular activities such as ski-sailing trips
    Exciting varied work

Cons

Significant travel at the start and end of week.
    Away from home during the week but home for 18:00 on a Friday

2. "Great company, but can be long hours during the week. Great opportunity for advancement aged development."

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Great team work culture, fun events and a leadership team that's really interested in its people. Great training and development.

Cons

Long hours and does not pay as much as other consultancies for more senior role. Salaries are shown as packages which can be difficult to interpret.

3. "Interesting, rewarding work that really makes a difference and a fun company to work for"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Variety and change as you do many projects across different sectors; challenging projects in a good way - always being stretched that little bit; morally rewarding work with public sector organisations making a real difference to the end users; good rewards package and great opportunities to develop professionally; strong focus on the social side of the company with lots of events to bring employees together; work expenses are all covered

Cons

"Outstanding - just make sure you know what to expect"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We love Newton.

Newton gives you access to world-beating clients and their board-level issues, in more depth than most direct employees would ever see. You'll be expected to assess, design and - most importantly - deliver improvements equivalent to millions of pounds on the bottom-line of FTSE100 businesses, and all within a few months of joining. Whether it's building warships, banking, producing food or running an operating theatre you'll be able to get stuck in and help our clients deliver what they do best, better.

At Newton you'll be given independence and autonomy as soon as you want it, but with a strong support network around you all the way.

Cons

Make sure you know what to expect. Newton isn't like most consultancies - in that you will never work a weekend and there's a healthy respect for the work/life balance - but it is still hard work in the week. It's definitely not a 9 to 5 and won't suit you if that's what you're after. Late nights are very rare but expected when required, and you'll be away from home four nights a week.

If you're joining as an Experienced Hire, make sure you speak with your recruiter about the Induction and Business Consultant roles to make sure you understand the role in full. Working at Newton is very different and very challenging, so you'll be expected to work in what's effectively a holding role for 12-18 months. This doesn't affect your benefits, but gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your capability at each level before you take on your hired role. It can be surprising for some Experienced Hires that you'll learn the business from the ground up just like a new Graduate would, so do make sure you ask and familiarise yourself first.

"Job Security Issues and Loss of Business - Watch out!"

Former Employee - Graduate Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can be a great place to work: with a lot of intelligent people, working on interesting projects.

Cons

Poor job security
    - Let around 30 people go back in April 2017
    - Pushed back many graduate start dates by over 6 months
    - Looking to make further cuts

Male dominated
    Long Hours
    Lots of Travel
    Management are extremely arrogant (Oxbridge old boys)

Advice to Management

- You should have learnt from the other companies in the sector who made the same mistakes you have
    - Value people, that is what makes your business

7. "Incredible company, very fast-paced"

Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever met. The work is very fast-paced, and you never feel inside your comfort zone; you're always being pushed and are delivering very relevant and exciting change to the clients.

The culture is amazing, everyone is very friendly and there is always something going on on the fun side. Very work hard, play hard

Cons

You're away from home from Monday morning until Friday evening; the work is intense and can be quite draining at times.
    Not very diverse

"Amazing Experience"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great experience embedded with the clients
    - All colleagues are amazing, bright, intelligent, and nice
    - Company is transparent with their intentions for the business
    - You will develop quickly with feedback from peers, line manager, and a personal development manager

Cons

- Lifestyle isn't for everyone. You'll be gone Monday through Friday. But absolutely no work after 6 pm on Friday. They take that seriously. Unfortunately, that does mean late nights through the week.
    - Newton throws a good party, can get a bit wild at times
    - feedback is blunt. Sometimes you'll get conflicting feedback from multiple people. Learning to push back in a non-defensive constructive way is an important skill
    - your promotion will depend on the impression you give to the rest of the company. This means that the 95% that don't work with you have a large say in your growth

Advice to Management

Enjoyed my experience!

9. "Great company & culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

Challenging environment with highly talented, supportive colleagues. Great development opportunities!

Cons

Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week

"Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits, good development

Cons

Male dominated, anti female and lacks an open and transparent culture.

Advice to Management

Don't be so arrogant and treat people better

11. "Fantastic place to work - great development/culture. Currently going through some growing pains"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got recruited from the US - without a doubt, working at Newton turbo-charged my professional development compared to opportunities available to me in the States.

I worked on numerous projects, each of which presented a unique and challenging problem to solve; I got to work with some incredible individuals; all the while, I felt I had an amazing support network from my peers, my supervisors, and the upper management.

The culture is amazing, and you really get the sense that people care about you, your clients, and the company. There's also a work-hard-play-hard mentality, so everybody is a ton of fun to hang out with.

Cons

While my professional life was great, the consulting lifestyle naturally takes its toll on your social life. My situation was exacerbated by the fact I came from overseas and didn't have existing friends, so I could only really spend time getting to know my coworkers.

Additionally, the company is currently going through some growing pains as it becomes a larger business; however, nearly all of the issues are admin/strategic.

Advice to Management

Find creative ways to keep the company culture intact as the number of consultants increase! This is Newton's best feature and it will be a challenge to maintain as the headcount goes up.

Regarding the growing pains - finish preparing the company for growth; define a clear strategy for the growth phase; make sure that the targets are realistic and risks are identified/managed.