Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Joseph R. Sivewright

1,101 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "I wish flextime/work life balance options didn't vary manager to manager for the same job" (in 80 reviews)

• "Long hours sometimes they can force you to stay extra hours to cover" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great work life balance and benefits"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products and work environment

Cons

Leadership needs to empower employees more to make decisions

15 Jun, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re proud to produce a safe, high quality product for our customers and we’re happy to hear that motivates our associates as well! You... More

2. "Retiring HR Director"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time

Pros

Nestle Purina PetCare offers challenging, engaging opportunities to those that are willing to step out and try things that may be a bit out of their comfort zone. Supportive environment with great people. Opportunities to try new things, to get involved in a positive way and make a difference.

Cons

No cons, great company with great values.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep pulse at what is happening in the factories and how change affects those working there....

13 Mar, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you – not only for your feedback, but for your years of service to the organization. It sounds like you had a challenging and rewarding career. Your comments on the impact change makes in our... More

"Marketing Department"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice enough physical space/working environment with kitchens; opportunity to bring your dog to work, work remotely if required, people who genuinely care about pets. Good salary, bonus structure and benefits.

Cons

Lack of clear direction, some people are not held accountable for going rogue and the issues they cause and frequently leave the mess for others to clean up. People promoted to management simply because of number of years served in their role results in disaster as they are given no training regarding their new role and have no idea how to manage a business nationally, how to manage people, how to manage their time in their new role or mentor people. Lack of investment in training Canadian employees so that they are informed and up to date on industry trends; it is all up to the employee to do so through continued education. The company has no interest in raising the skills of their employees so they are best in class, no interest in mentorship. An environment where senior leadership is not open to having open dialogue with employees as to why they make the decisions they do, management does not like to be questioned or challenged so people are afraid to open their mouth with ideas or suggestions. HR is only there to limit law suits and bad PR and not really dealing with the root causes of problems; they are not empathetic to employee issues such as employees with mental illness, those managing elder care. Management is old school and needs a fresh perspective in how the business should be run; stop resisting change.

Advice to Management

Hire an outside agency to come in and tell you what you have probably already been told by your own employees. Perhaps hearing it from a third party will legitimize the findings. Utilize a third party to update the business as how it is run is very old school.

"Not longer what used to be"

Current Employee - Office Staff in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonable salary and benefits. A lot of emphasis on safety.

Cons

Due to reduction of positions the work load increased beyond of what people signed initially. Companies are determined by the leadership team, in this case there is an intent to bring the team together but the efforts haven't paid off. Nobody is never good enough. Very poor communication and transparency.

Advice to Management

Provide more recognition. Match the skills with the positions.

20 Dec, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We’re happy to hear you see our #1 priority is safety in your daily activities and are pleased with your total compensation. Your concerns... More

"Dismal outlook for the future"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summer hours, dog friendly office and dog park onsite, fun committee host lots of fun events bbqs and raffles. Emolyee discounts, on site company store. Frequent free let food give away.

Cons

Once a great place to work. Leadership is weak, stacked with old boys club members stuck in past. Power struggles with middle management is clear. This company is crumbling, restructuring and downsizing is happen as we speak, employees are leaving in droves, earlier retirements are being taken.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs an overhaul. RETIRE the old boys club and humble the power B%$#& team. Lead by example. Stop blaming the office workers and sales force for poor sales and failing products. Only then will Purina stand a chance at survival.

11 May, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time provide us with a review. We’re very sorry to hear about our concerns.

Regarding what you’ve mentioned about the lack of female leaders and the “old boys club”, we... More

"Company on downward spiral"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON

Pros

Your dog can join you at work. Friday afternoons off for good portion of the year. Great co-workers.

Cons

Company no longer innovative. US calling the shots. Community involvement has been drastically cut back. Senior management weak.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Don't be timid. Get rid of bully senior manager.

5 May, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time provide us with a review. We understand your concerns and hope you feel as though you can address any of these issues with your manager, or feel free to contact the HR... More

7. "Great company, great team and great leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Purina has a wonderful culture, is the largest pet food player in the market and is part of the largest food company in the world. Very good organization with strong leadership.

Cons

There are no cons for the company.

"manager"

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time

Pros

good work life balance - half day friday for 6 mos of year

Cons

subtle politics. people aren't direct with thoughts or opinions. doesn't pay well

6 Mar, 2017 – Human Resources

We're sorry you're no longer with the company, but thank you for the time you had put in - and for your candid feedback here on Glassdoor. We wish you the best of luck continuing forward in your... More

"Stuck in the past"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Nestlé Purina (More than a year)

Pros

dog friendly office, not much else

Cons

old-school mentality, relies on outdated PVA's, non-collaborative relationship with senior management

10. "Great Company but changing times...."

I have been working at Nestlé Purina (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture....people friendly and pet friendly work place

Cons

Culture is changing as company is choosing to hire people from outside who really dont fit in the company's "family oriented" culture. These employees from other companies tend to do things their own way and do not integrate with existing Purina folks.

Advice to Management

Retain culture to retain good employees who have been with the company during thick and thin of times

Showing 1,101 of 1,162 reviews