Nerd Corps Entertainment Reviews

Updated Nov 2, 2020

Found 30 of over 42 reviews

2.7
Nerd Corps Entertainment Supreme Commander, CEO and Founder  Asaph “Ace” Fipke (no image)
Asaph “Ace” Fipke
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Potentially A Great Studio

Feb 13, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Got to work on some cool projects with some great people. Enjoyed stable employment for many years. Received raises and promotions in a timely manner. Excellent employee benefits package. Work environment was pretty casual.

Cons

Nerd Corps was a company with exceptional employment stability. Since being acquired by DHX Media, things started to change a bit. I watched a handful of employees let go, some of which I did not expect. The shot tracking system was very good in most aspects, but the fact that it had a built in timer that would tell employees how far behind they were was quite stressful and did not always accurately reflect the work that was being done. The result was people feeling guilty and/or rebellious all the time and in the end would single people out as opposed to a more team based approach to the work. They are switching to Shotgun tracking system, so things may be a bit better once that is underway. In terms of promotions, I felt that I was promoted at the appropriate times although I witnessed other employees that seemed to be disappointed at how slow people were promoted. However, the more senior positions and supervisory positions were often filled with employees that probably did not have enough experience yet. I applaud the fact that Nerd Corps wanted to promote from within, but sometimes it is more important to have someone with experience fill those roles to provide the necessary leadership to be efficiently successful. While DHX is more open to this concept I don't want them to forget about their current employees; if someone is really good at what they do and deserve to be promoted to a leadership role, they should definitely be considered before an outside hire. Nerd Corps was very slow in switching to industry standard software. Many people were trained in a Maya/NUKE workflow, but we were using Softimage XSI for everything. I was fine with using Softimage at the time because I had gotten to know it quite well, but now that I am looking for new employment I feel a little behind the times. There was a continuing education program for employees that was getting set up, but seems to have gotten cancelled. I was pretty excited about this as there was going to be classes that we could attend to further develop our skills. Hopefully they can bring this project back at some point for the benefit of their employees (and for the benefit of the company). There was no designated lunch room for employees to gather. Lots of people would just end up sitting at their desk through lunch, myself included. Hopefully the new DHX studio will have better facilities for the employees. Note about my rating for the company: For the majority of the time I was employed at Nerd Corps I would have given 4 out of 5, but lowered it to a 3 by the time I left. I have hopes that within the next few years DHX will have made some changes that benefit the employees' happiness and well being.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not a Place to stay long

Jan 17, 2015 - Modeler in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Their isn't much Pros about this place. The workers are a very talented bunch of people which you can learn lots from.

Cons

Wow, where to start. Lets start with the micro management software that they use, everything looks good on paper but when you start to involve humans things are going to go wrong, thy don't have any contingency plan, so if anything goes wrong or something needs to be redesigned or re-rigged,the employee must do overtime without pay to fix the problem. The Work load is more then any other studio since an employee must do 2 or more jobs, animators aren't just animating, and modelers aren't just doing geo, it would be alright but the pay doesn't reflect what you need to do. The management is a joke, if you ever see management their about to fire someone or if there doing a studio showing to clients. There is no communication between departments, and there seems to be a rival between departments, there isn't much studio culture because of this.

5 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

the good and the bad

Aug 17, 2016 - Modeler in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Perfect for new artists. Got to be a generalist- which is rare. Found it both challenging and rewarding. Take ownership of your projects, you start and finish them. If you do well you are treated well, but if you do poorly- See Cons

Cons

If you do poorly on your deadlines you are treated really bad and given little support. Basically no proper training. Wildly varying experience depending on team. Bad case of jaded senior artists. generally everyone sees it as a stepping stone unto better things - justifiably.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good for juniors

Oct 23, 2015 - Animator in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool projects. It's a good first job to get into the industry. You'll learn a lot.

Cons

It seems like the company is going through some growing pains. The quotas are high and it's kind of a sweat shop

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to get experience with fun people; difficult to make a career there

Feb 23, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of fun and like-minded people -Work life balance is pretty good -Some company events -Management that seems to care about its reputation and company culture

Cons

-Pay -Possibilities for growth and learning, depending on field

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great

Dec 15, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and a fantastic culture that makes you feel like you belong. A fantastic location that lets you go for lunch on Commercial Drive which is full of tasty restaurants.

Cons

They've done so well that they're growing massively and being bought up by DHX so things might be about to change.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

I have worked there for a year as an environment designer

Oct 28, 2016 - Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very motivated team and passionate people made my experience there a total paradise professionally speaking ! Everything was there for everyone to develop his/her skills

Cons

After a year in their basement in the absolute darkness, I now need to wear glasses Their building is a total disaster

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good Company

Dec 17, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Stable work environment Good variety of shows to work on Good learning opportunity Management approachable and is willing to listen to concerns and ideas Management is flexible and is willing to make changes and change to make the place better

Cons

there is room to improve pay

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

I learned a lot, the work load was too much.

Nov 13, 2015 - Animator in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Newly introduced benefits are better than you will find at most places in the animation industry. The people were great. The directors were patient. A great place to find your footing in the industry.

Cons

Low wages. Probably the lowest in the industry. The work load was too much. Animation quality was lacking. A tracking system was used that overloaded it's employees telling them they were cronically behind. Felt like a career at a factory rather than a dream job.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good people, tough management

Aug 17, 2015 -  in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

great coworkers cool shows forced to learn quickly

Cons

old software company uses a business model to treat employees unpaid overtime

Viewing 11 - 20 of 30 Reviews