Nerd Corps Entertainment Animator Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Nerd Corps Entertainment Animator Reviews

Updated 15 Feb 2018

2.8
Nerd Corps Entertainment CEO Asaph “Ace” Fipke (no image)
Asaph “Ace” Fipke
  1. "Doing ok but feeling the burn.."

Current Employee - Animator

I have been working at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great and the teams you build while you are on a project are amazing. Everyone feels like a family at times in the sense that we are all pulling through times to get things done and encouraging each other.

Cons

Sometimes, management puts the pressure on people, especially newer people. I can't tell you how many times I've run across someone burned out from just stress and pressure, myself included. I know that TV has a tight turnaround but people are dropping left and right from the studios because they aren't being paid enough to put up with some of the mental things they have to go through.

Advice to Management

Please don't push your newer people to the point of breaking. They are having a hard enough time with the concept of Sparcx in the first couple of months to deal with you breathing down their neck. Mental health is just as important as a good life/work balance.

Nerd Corps Entertainment2015-08-07
  2. "its okay for starting out"

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- friendly people - employee appreciation events

Cons

- quick fast animation, never get time to be proud of your work - basic rigs - sparks -very poor pay for the cost of living its so absurd you cant make 30-50 and hope to have a savings in this city. -cap on how much one can make they all follow same wage system which is the lowest -

Advice to Management

- increase pay -increase production time

Nerd Corps Entertainment2018-02-15
  3. "Good for juniors"

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool projects. It's a good first job to get into the industry. You'll learn a lot.

Cons

It seems like the company is going through some growing pains. The quotas are high and it's kind of a sweat shop

Advice to Management

Try and find out what is happening on the floor. It would be beneficial for management to get to know the staff more. The high quotas can be chaotic at times and it is important than management is on top of managing the teams.

Nerd Corps Entertainment2015-10-24
  4. "I learned a lot, the work load was too much."

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Newly introduced benefits are better than you will find at most places in the animation industry. The people were great. The directors were patient. A great place to find your footing in the industry.

Cons

Low wages. Probably the lowest in the industry. The work load was too much. Animation quality was lacking. A tracking system was used that overloaded it's employees telling them they were cronically behind. Felt like a career at a factory rather than a dream job.

Advice to Management

Raise the rate of pay to a new realistic standard of living in Vancouver. Bring higher quality and budget IP'S into the company. To allow your Sr. Staff to grow.

Nerd Corps Entertainment2015-11-13
  5. "Good place to start out"

Former Contractor - Animator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to progress, interesting work, full scenes assigned to animators

Cons

Largest quota I've ever had to produce, time tracking software tracks every second of your day.

Advice to Management

Communicate and be more visible to your employees.

Nerd Corps Entertainment2014-08-30

"........."

Current Employee - Animator in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the largest TV series animation Studio in Vancouver. People, co-workers and directors are great to work with.

Cons

Very unique and poor time management using a certain 'timer' for animators. Lacks balance of continuity and quality of work. No reviews or meeting for animators to communicate as a team. Very POOR Quota - average 60 sec per week, animators do layout aswell (no layout artists in the studio) all overwhelming quantity work to be done using overtime, which is ofcourse, unpaid.

Advice to Management

I really hope these can be fixed in the correct way through a sincere communication if they are willing to support and respect artists who work for them. So people won't leave the compnay as many as they did recently due to poor.. working environment (all the cons above). I could fore-see how the company will turn out in a near future :(

Nerd Corps Entertainment2014-03-13

"Eh..."

Former Contractor - Animator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment

Pros

Awesome co-workers, fun shows, great directors.

Cons

poor management. promotions/raises are very rare. they work you to the bone and expect more. You don't feel appreciated what so ever. not organized at all and it made it really hard for employees. employees are extremely underpaid.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. pay more attention to their needs. you also need to pay your employees what they deserve..they do so much for you and they're cheques definitely don't reflect that.

Nerd Corps Entertainment2012-08-13

"Better than I was expecting!"

Current Employee - Animation PA in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with the animation team has been a huge pleasure. It's a very relaxed environment, even with the heavy time pressures everyone is under. The people are great, and always willing to help each other out. The supervisors are competent and care about their staff. Good job stability.

Cons

No benefits, no overtime pay (and expect to do a lot of overtime), and very little time to spend on polishing animation. Oh, and the coffee is just godawful. But overall the company has grown a great deal in the past year, and I believe for the better.

Nerd Corps Entertainment2012-08-12
  9. "Good place to start your animation experience."

Former Employee - Animator

I worked at Nerd Corps Entertainment full-time

Pros

Awesome place to start your experience in animation industry. You'll learn a lot about how the industry flows, not only in animation but also in films and video games too.

Cons

Tracking system is extremely stressful, sometimes people ignores quality but chooses ways to catch up the tracking time. Wage is too low despite its entry level for an animation industry.

Nerd Corps Entertainment2014-08-23