Naughty Dog "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Naughty Dog Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Dec 14, 2018

4.2
Naughty Dog Co-President Evan Wells
Evan Wells
Pros
  • "Great people, great projects, passionate team(in 6 reviews)

• "Creative environment, lots of talented people, learned new skills(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The crunches are hard, lots of long hours at the end of the project(in 5 reviews)

• "Insane crunch hours, little to no recognition or acknowledgment(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, great projects, passionate team

Cons

Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch

Naughty Dog2018-12-14
  2. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Animator

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, insane amount of talent.

Cons

Can earn more money elsewhere.

Naughty Dog2017-11-01

"Work is life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work on amazing games with great people

Cons

Insane crunch hours, little to no recognition or acknowledgment

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement works

Naughty Dog2017-02-03

"Great Games and People; Studio Has More Potential"

Former Employee - Senior Production Artist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great people. Some of the most inspirational, passionate, and dedicated I've worked with. - Games are second to none in their genre. Contributing to them was a constant source of inspiration and satisfaction. - Benefits and and additional compensation were great.

Cons

- Absolutely no creative scope planning and scheduling which leads to an irresponsible amount of crunch and waste. There seemed to be very little acknowledgement by studio leadership of this issue. - Review and career development processes were clearly informal, and a bit of mystery.

Advice to Management

- Be more transparent about studio wide issues and initiatives. Hold health surveys and more company meetings; give employees a voice. Be transparent about growth and improvement. - More technical / tool development investment could improve art production flexibility and allow for iteration and change requests. - Junior engineers on staff could free up experienced engineers and allow them to achieve more and not get bogged down by UI development and simpler tasks.

Naughty Dog2016-12-23

"Greats devs, great people, too much crunch before game release."

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great devs: You can tell these are some of the best of the best they rarely mess up meaning you work less. Great people: Most of them are funny, fun to hang around, and make for great friends. Great engine: Their engine is incredible to make 3D person games and a lot easier than something like unreal 4. Money: I got promoted 3 times during the 4 years I worked there (3 TIMES!) and they really sort you out and can tell who works the most and single them out. Started around 80k a year and went up to around 170 k a year in the end of employment before I got a better offer.

Cons

Crunch: A lot of crunch before a game is released, but a higher up said they would sort that out later so it could of changed. Management: Not very organized, but that could've changed in the time I left. I don't want to point fingers but one of the higher ups isn't very organized, of course you said you were gonna rehaul the system so it could of changed.

Advice to Management

Work on the crunch time before games are released if you haven't already since it's been 1 year or so since i've been there. Also make your qualifications a bit harder for more high paying jobs, I started programming when I was 13 way back and I felt WAY more experienced than people that made double what I made. Especially when it came to code.

Naughty Dog2016-06-16

"Great Studio for AAA Games"

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time

Pros

ND is a top studio with some of the most talented folks in the business. Lots of great people, really passionate about doing great work. Sony the parent company, seems to take a pretty hands-off approach and avoids meddling with the studio.

Cons

Most everyone works in an open office plan environment. The noise can be very distracting so pretty much everyone has noise-cancelling headphones. It is a high pressure environment, like many game studios. And there is pressure to work long hours. While the studio has expanded greatly, the management style has not changed much. The net result of this is that there are people in management roles who shouldn't be.

Advice to Management

Greater transparency would be nice. Also the wrong person in a management role can do a lot of damage. Having a mechanism to detect and correct that would be nice.

Naughty Dog2015-06-17