National Rural Utilities Cooperative Reviews
88% would recommend to a friend
(57 total reviews)
100% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "people actually care and value the job that you do." (in 5 reviews)
- "Excellent Benefits" (in 5 reviews)
- "Competitive pension plan" (in 4 reviews)
- "Great work life balance, smart people and warm, friendly environment, state of the art HQ building (built 2013), pension, two annual bonuses" (in 3 reviews)
- "Once you get a feel for the cooperative/consensus driven culture it becomes easier to get things done." (in 3 reviews)
- "No ability to work from home at all" (in 7 reviews)
- "Awful managers who do not know how to manage, promotes gossiping, backbiting, scheming, conniving, & throwing others under bus to advance, discriminatory practices, advance per who you know not what you know, bizarre organization/department structure, HR of no use to employees" (in 4 reviews)
- "low pay, little room for advancement, culture of complacency, work becomes routine" (in 2 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of National Rural Utilities Cooperative and is not affected by filters.
Found 57 of over 61 reviews
Updated Nov 4, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 3.0Nov 4, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsDulles, VA
Diverse environment; friendly people; excellent facilities
Technology; too much manual work; internal culture in transition
- 3.0Oct 29, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Great atmosphere, caring people, nice small company
Management's visions are on target, but unfortunately there aren't enough employees to carry out the work. Thus, many people are overworked.
- 3.0Jan 31, 2023VP, Portfolio ManagementFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsHerndon, VA
Benefits, stability, low pressure, longevity, Mission
Internal politics, lack of true ethics and minimal commitment to inclusivity and diversity, compensation and decision making concentrated in the top few, extremely political and conservative client base.
- 5.0Oct 25, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 8 years
Good pay, pension plan, yearly bonus, comfortable work spaces, easy commute, nice people and hybrid remote work policy. Management is supportive and wants everyone to succeed; any resources needed are usually provided. Hard work is recognized.
Busy times with strict deadlines can be very stressful! Health insurance plan is expensive.1
- 5.0Oct 21, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
Great company culture, incredibly nice and helpful co-workers, beautiful office space.
Entry level employees only get 10 and a half vacation days a year.1
- 4.0Oct 20, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Comfortable, non-competitive work environment - not your typical financial institution. Option for some remote work. Very good benefits (notably pension and a matching 401k). Semi-rare opportunity to work at a fairly large financial institution in Northern VA. Very rare opportunity to work for a large cooperative - working culture is different/better than other public and private institutions I have worked for as it is a non-profit and truly exists to serve the financial needs of its member-owners. I personally find it rewarding to be a part of. Extremely flat management structure: there aren't really wasteful layers of middle manager roles just to provide people job titles. Beautiful office and campus that is easy to commute to.
Comfortable, non-competitive work environment - not your typical financial institution ... doesn't pay as well (recent salary and bonus structure change is a step in the right direction). This has also created situations where long tenured employees/managers have gotten a little too comfortable and set in there ways, change and progress can be slow. Extremely flat management structure: doesn't create a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within the company.2
- 5.0Oct 20, 2022Senior DeveloperCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
- Great WLB - Hybrid environment - Great benefits - Beautiful location - On-site Gym
Bit behind the cloud technologies.
- 5.0Oct 20, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearSterling, VA
Employees are very friendly, flexible WFH work schedule, good benefits, amazing building facility.
Unable to think of one.1
- 3.0Aug 2, 2022Credit AnalystFormer Employee, more than 1 yearSterling Park, VA
Great work environment. Everyone is willing to help if you need it.
Very small raises and a good ol boy system .2
National Rural Utilities Cooperative Reviews FAQs
National Rural Utilities Cooperative has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 61 reviews left anonymously by employees. 88% of employees would recommend working at National Rural Utilities Cooperative to a friend and 93% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.
88% of National Rural Utilities Cooperative employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated National Rural Utilities Cooperative 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.