NOVA Chemicals Reviews

Found 141 of over 191 reviews

3.5
NOVA Chemicals CEO Luis Sierra
Luis Sierra
Pros
  • "Great student benefits and work/life balance(in 14 reviews)

• "The people at NOVA are top rate(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance were not in alignment(in 3 reviews)

• "No career advancement opportunities(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company to work for

Jun 9, 2022 - Market Manager in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Intimate, nimble and cares about employees

Cons

Sometimes slow to move on trends

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company culture

May 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Diversify company culture, great management

Cons

work under stress, tight timeline

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Abusive employee, toxic environment

May 23, 2022 - Research Engineer in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Career advancement due to company's past reputation

Cons

You will age faster due to the toxicity and terrible work load.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Financial Analyst

Apr 18, 2022 - Financial Analyst in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

great compensation great flexibility and open door policy

Cons

had to overtime a lot

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company to work in

Apr 7, 2022 - Process Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good environment - Growth opportunities - Good learning opportunities and challenges

Cons

- Could improve mentorship for new hires - Recent changes in org may have caused anxiety and stress on some people - Could improve procedures

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

WFH Policy is Out of Touch

Mar 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. NOVA has great people working for them. 2. This is a phase. The company will recognize their mistakes and I have faith that the company will change their approach as people find the courage to speak up.

Cons

NOVA Chemicals has a "connected workplace" policy that allows some employees to work from home Monday and Friday and a façade exists which makes you feel like you have a shot at fulltime WFH arrangements . It allows employees to apply, however, from my experience and what I have witnessed, this is rarely approved even in situations where individuals and teams have functioned efficiently over the last two years in a WFH environment. Senior management continues to push a narrative that in-person collaboration is necessary even when it has been proven that this is not the case and arguably to the detriment of teams that have operated efficiently remotely over the last two years. NOVA Chemicals cannot seem to connect the dots between what they preach and what they practice. Innovation - "NOVA is looking at industry trends" (Mona), aka. what's everyone else doing? We'll follow along with "industry" instead of being a leader and recognizing areas of the company that have proven to make remote work effective and empower them to continue their positive trajectory. Diversity and Inclusion - Yes, as long as you want to relocate to our operating centers and move away from your community and support network. Equality - Never mind the struggles of parents and especially females in the workplace trying to raise young kids. We are asked to believe that the commute every day is worth the sacrifice to your family and kids in the name of "collaboration". Collaboration - After that refreshing commute to the office and after rushing your kids off to school (if applicable), you will close the door to your office and dial into meetings with your *remote* team. Even if you have co-workers in the same building you will dial in to Teams meetings, because you won't have time to run from conference room to conference room. Safety - I value safety, but the number one thing that can potentially KILL me is my commute. Another vehicle colliding with me is the HIGHEST risk to my safety EVERY day. Carbon reduction -FORCE thousands of your employees to drive to an office to dial into meetings that they could have effectively dialed into without the commute and without the cost of outrageous gas prices. Completely unnecessary. I guarantee you if there was a tax credit that could be claimed NOVA would change it's tune. Health - Those of us who value our health have found ways to incorporate health and well being into our daily routine without sacrificing productivity (on the contrary we are more productive). The unnecessary commute (even three days a week), takes away valuable opportunities to improve our physical and metal self. Autonomy - My leader doesn't have the capacity to make the WFH decision even though they are the best judge of the circumstance. The decision lays with someone at the senior level that doesn't have direct visibility into what is working and what is not. Where do I stop? I can go on and on. And then there is the hypocrisy that exists within Senior management which allows some exceptions based on "market conditions" and favoritism which are exactly the things that management "say" they want to eliminate from our culture. I have lost a lot of respect for may senior leaders who are towing the line or are blatantly unaware of the changing world around them while unaware of their employee needs.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent pay

Mar 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, good vacation (if you negotiate it).

Cons

Outdated processes and procedure when compared to other companies. No stock options

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Sinking ship

Mar 14, 2022 - Research Technologist in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's the people that you work with that make the job fun. Compensation is pretty good, industry average.

Cons

In the last CEO's tenure, he ran the company pretty lean in terms of management. Ever since the change in CEO and business restructuring, a lot of the lower level employees have been let go, the executives have been on a hiring spree for upper management positions. Its at the point where it's too top heavy and not enough people at the lower levels to do the work. The leaders they've brought in are also not listening to the people doing the work, they're making decisions no one is on board about and doubling down on the bad decisions. Post business restructuring, a lot of talented people have started leaving the company. Career development is also a joke. Job band promotion system is also a joke.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Safety and Stability

Mar 16, 2022 - Mechanical Engineer in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company with Safety and Stability culture.

Cons

New CEO hand picked by hedge fund.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Decent if you want to be comfortable

Feb 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is nice. Not too much pressure

Cons

Promotions based on tenure and not necessarily performance

Viewing 1 - 10 of 141 Reviews

NOVA Chemicals Reviews FAQs

NOVA Chemicals has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 191 reviews left anonymously by employees. 36% of employees would recommend working at NOVA Chemicals to a friend and 44% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, NOVA Chemicals employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at NOVA Chemicals. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

36% of NOVA Chemicals employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated NOVA Chemicals 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with NOVA Chemicals Job Seekers