NHS Blood and Transplant "nhsbt" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

NHS Blood and Transplant Employee Reviews about "nhsbt"

Updated Jan 19, 2020

3.9
NHS Blood and Transplant Chief Executive  Betsy Bassis
Betsy Bassis
Pros
  • "I've always felt supported as a working Mum and the flexible working arrangements make working life smoother(in 10 reviews)

• "I've experienced lots of opportunity for professional development since working at NHSBT, and feel like a valued member of the team(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are many great NHS organisations -this is not one of them(in 6 reviews)

• "The salary isn't as good as when I worked in the private sector(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "nhsbt"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Chewed up and Spat/Burnt Out"

Former Employee - Band 8 Manager

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary/Holidays (if you have anytime to take them or spend any money)Pension (if you can last more than 2 years), interesting valuable work. Some talented people here.

Cons

Insane and unhealthy workload led to me working excessive hours. I was told at interview that the contracted hours were 37.5. I was working 50-60hrs per week, with no extra pay or recognition of this, working mostly without breaks. I wasn't the only manager in this situation. In my time at NHSBT I discovered a culture created by SMT that encourages this. It was a badge of honour to be seen to be working long hours. In my department there was substantial abuse of time keeping with team members having double the length of breaks a day and finishing early on Friday. I raised this within the first few months of joining NHSBT with my HOD my concern being operational effectiveness and efficiency, but no action was taken. This had been the way the department had operated since inception and that was the way it stayed. This prevented me delegating my tasks and led to a very unfair workload between managers and staff - in most weeks my calculated hourly rate of pay was less than my reports. In my department people were resistant to change , it had a very old school hierarchical feel to it. With many big egos in big ivory towers . Try challenging the top brass and you will feel the heat. You will be TARGETED and squeezed out of the organisation. It basically works like this; Your work becomes highly scrutinised with the tiniest of errors being recorded, collated and emailed to superiors. Actions become greater in number , reuiring more details and stricter deadlines being enforced. This leads to a huge increase to an already heavy workload. Work colleagues then stop responding to emails, phone calls and general chit chat. I was ignored, undermined and isolated. This will then sets up for failure and eventually resignation. It called performance managed out - and management team are exceptionally good at this. Note to reader - this is my experience only. NHSBT is a large organisation and generally well thought of organisation - but it aint perfect.

NHS Blood and Transplant2020-01-19

NHS Blood and Transplant Response

January 28, 2020

I'm extremely saddened to hear of your experience whilst working at NHSBT and would be very keen to meet with you personally to understand more. Clearly this is absolutely not the experience we would expect any colleague to have whilst working here and therefore I would be grateful if you could contact Gill Travis, Head of National Recruitment & Resourcing via HR Direct (at hrdirect@nhsbt.nhs.uk or on 0117 322 7700), Gill will happy to speak with you and, if necessary, raise any concerns or issues you have with senior management.

Continue reading

"Great team and management with lots of opportunity for development"

Current Employee - Recruitment Advisor in Sheffield, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

A really friendly and progressive environment to work in, that is aided by supportive management who take the time to listen. I've experienced lots of opportunity for professional development since working at NHSBT, and feel like a valued member of the team. No two days are the same, as the role is busy and challenging but in a good way. There are great perks such as flexible working and high annual leave allowance, which makes for a good work-life balance. Moving to NHSBT was one of the best decisions I've made.

Cons

The pay is lower than working in the private sector, however this is easily outweighed by the good work-life balance, pension and feel-good factor you get from working for the NHS.

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-06-10
  3. "Rewarding job and great team"

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Its great to work for an organisation that does so much support the wider NHS and helps 'save and improve' patients lives. I came here for 2 years but 11 years later I am still enjoying the challenges and the job satisfaction. I have worked with some great managers and colleagues who really care about what we do. Many of my colleagues could earn more in the private sector but they prefer to stay here because they feel strongly about the work we do and because of the work life balance / flexible working options. As NHSBT has many facets to what it does there are also opportunities to move around within the organisation and I have had lots of opportunities to be involved in different projects.

Cons

As a large organisation spread across may sites it can be challenging to makes changes to our IT infrastructure but this is moving forward

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-06-05
  4. "Great team, great managers"

Current Employee - Recruitment Advisor in Sheffield, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly, supportive, flexible, busy, challenging in a good way

Cons

Salary may not be as much as you can expect in the public sector but there's a lot of pros to working in NHSBT such a flexible working, good pension, opportunity to progress within the business

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-06-03

"Shoddy management"

Current Employee - Donor Carer in London, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best reason to work at NHSBT is simply getting the blood for those who need it. That is the job I signed up for.

Cons

I have been lied to at every step of the way from interview to where I am now. Every decision made by management has been to the detriment of the entire workforce.

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-04-16

"NHSBT Graduate Scheme"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Filton, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is one of my first roles since leaving University and since joining I feel that I have learnt a lot and also benefit from a good work / life balance. There is a real sense that everyone is motivated towards the main objective of the organisation, to save / improve lives and I am personally very proud to work towards such a worthwhile cause with a great team of people. As a relatively new employee, the support of NHSBT towards the continuing professional development (CPD) of staff has struck me; there are lots of internal courses available of which I have particularly benefited from the management training.

Cons

It is honestly difficult to think of cons other than that my role is part of a 2 year contract and I would have liked the security of a longer term role.

NHS Blood and Transplant2017-07-31

"a fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Management Graduate in Sheffield, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at NHSBT is really friendly, I have been welcomed into the organisation incredibly quickly. There are lots of opportunities to train and develop. We do fantastic work, helping people and saving lives, so every day you can be proud of your job and what you achieve. My job is interesting and challenging, I work with a wide variety of people on a diversity of projects. Management are engaging and attempt to be transparent at all times, listening to all staff in the organisation. The benefits are great, flexible working is possible, management are caring, we are given 28 days holiday minimum, and everyone is accommodating.

Cons

There is quite a lot of national travel which can be difficult, but a lot of the centres are easy to get to.

NHS Blood and Transplant2017-07-21
  8. "NHSBT makes a real difference, saving and improving lives"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

NHSBT is a great place to work, so much so I stayed 13 years! Fantastic Personal and professional development. Including education and training job specific, fantastic leadership development Wonderful colleagues and many opportunities to develop skills and experience in an award winning People (HR, training and H&S) team. Annual leave and NHS pension plus NHS discounts and other benefits Support to juggle home and work life. Everyone feels they are part of something special, helping to save and improve the lives of so many.

Cons

In recent years some systems and processes have become challenging, however there are transformation programmes under way to address this including IT modernisation

NHS Blood and Transplant2017-07-21

"NHSBT is an excellent place to work"

in Sheffield, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant for more than 10 years

Pros

What could be better than knowing that the work you do contributes to saving and improving lives and you get a great salary and excellent development opportunities as well! I have a really challenging and interesting role in the organisation and enjoy working with the extended team (all NHSBT staff) as there is a real community spirit even though we work across the whole country. Just seen our new careers website at nhsbtcareers.co.uk which shows all our varied roles and has interviews with our staff so you can see their experiences.

Cons

Depending on your role you have to be prepared to travel as NHSBT is a national organisation, however most of our centres and venues are on a public transport route so this makes it easier

NHS Blood and Transplant2016-07-19

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews