NEXON America Reviews

Updated May 27, 2021

Found 147 of over 156 reviews

3.5
NEXON America General Manager Kenny Chang (no image)
Kenny Chang
Pros
  • "You will work with a lot of great people(in 16 reviews)

• "Casual and fun work environment, creative space, nice and interesting coworkers, caring managers, approachable and attentive Facilities & HR team(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Difficult communication since they all speak Korean(in 16 reviews)

• "Upper management/executives are clueless about what makes a game good and the Western market in general(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great For Data Science

May 27, 2021 - Data Scientist in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My co-workers are great to work with, the data infrastructure is well built and maintained, and the management listens to us when we say we need additional tools and services. The pay is solid for the role as well. Nexon treats its workers well, even during work-from-home.

Cons

Nexon is a large company based in Korea. Therefore, in Nexon America, you can feel a little distant from the primary decision-makers, and nearly all large decisions must pass through them.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Fun place to work

May 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think a lot of the negative reviews here are outdated. Agreed, no company is going to be a perfect fit for everyone. but it seems that the company listened to a lot of feedback and tried to make a lot of improvements. Other pros: - Company offers perks to help with Covid-19 work from home situation - The people are great to work with and really friendly environment - Tries to be transparent and open about improvements needed

Cons

Need games recognized in western regions

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great opportunities for career growth

Apr 2, 2021 - Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great and talented people! So far, everyone that I've spoken to have been friendly and approachable - Healthy work/life balance. I am giving the autonomy and trust to manage my workload. I feel comfortable to bring up to my team if I felt stretched thin - Supportive and caring team. I noticed that achievements, both big and small, have been celebrated and acknowledged by my manager, dept. head, and colleagues - Management is receptive to feedback - There are regular business updates from management - I received opportunities to take on projects to improve my skills - Fun, casual and respectful workplace

Cons

A dog-friendly office would be a nice perk to have

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Continually improving

Apr 2, 2021 - Current Employee in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

very friendly culture and team. often, you will find a handful of mean and nasty coworkers in any company, yes, there are some that are immature and inexperienced, but for the most part, all are good natured and want to do well. Company has been trying very hard over the past few years to provide more and more for us and listen to feedback.

Cons

inexperienced leadership in some pockets of the company. many of the leaders are home grown and lack a diverse perspective or still behave like they did years ago. mgmt should spend some time to self-reflect and strive to improve

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great culture

May 16, 2021 - MBA Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and benefits especially for women

Cons

Depends on the team, but some devs have strict culture

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Zero work life balance

Feb 3, 2021 - Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

most co-workers were nice. very easy to share your no-life work life together pay is decent compared to other eastern developers and publishers

Cons

absolutely zero work balance, be prepared to work 10-14hr days, and be available at all times if you are not Korean the chances of upward mobility are limited micro-management is an Olympic sport here office politics more complex than game of thrones communications between teams are poor, and information is often left to the last minute the work motto is they don't tell you what not to do until you've done it, and then expect you to have known not to do it all along

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great onboarding during COVID-19!

Apr 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dedication to improve, transparency from top down

Cons

Been very accommodating during remote work environment

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Getting Better Every Month/Year

Feb 20, 2021 - Director in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dramatically improved management in US; work w/ smart people; exciting vision on creating a new model for games industry; great games in development for Western audience.

Cons

Bad reputation from 10-yrs ago still following the company; slow roll out of new games for Western players;

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Nexon America treats their employees very well.

Jul 18, 2020 - Nexon Player Support, Maplestory Division in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very many pros! 1.Work is very easy. Copy and Paste same answers from templates provided on 99% of the player complaints, or account ban review 2. Never actually have to investigate any issues. Just saying we are looking into it, or telling the players that it is fixed are sufficient. Unless, issues make it to Reddit, then we have to pretend to try. 3.No actual liabilities! For every support ticket we answer, we can change the names and titles, pretending to be a different person answering players' support tickets. 4. Great incentive. Company itself doesn't pay much, but we can get paid a lot of money by unbanning falsely banned accounts from players. Some of the accounts were hacking in game, but Nexon doesn't care at all, since they rely on their "Auto-ban" system which triggers a lot of false bans, so all accounts can just be unbanned without going under any review. Easy money.

Cons

Some big cons. 1. A lot of works can be automated through messaging bots, but the company wants actual people answering all the support tickets with "copy and paste" response for some reason. 2. Work seems meaningless since we can't actually help people who needs help, as we are told to just answer all support tickets with copy and paste answer. 3. Too much work. We are actually team of myself, that I pretend to be many different people by answering all support tickets with different names. 4.Occasionally gets doxxed. Some of the players know where I live, and know all the cons that I mentioned. No support from the company to help me.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible management

Mar 24, 2021 - Customer Support Representative in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great and the building itself is fun to work in

Cons

Terrible management from headquarters. Slow communication and heavily underpaid.

Be the first to find this review helpful