NERA Economic Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

NERA Economic Consulting Reviews

Updated Oct 18, 2019

3.2
NERA Economic Consulting CEO Lawrence Wu (no image)
Lawrence Wu
Pros
  • "Great company to learn and an opportunity to work with some really smart people(in 20 reviews)

• "Great career starting point with lots of training and learning opportunities; great work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay and bonuses not that high but work life balance is there(in 15 reviews)

• "Non existent office culture and little collegiality even between junior staff(in 5 reviews)

1. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant to President in White Plains, NY

I worked at NERA Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

People work as a team and are willing to help each other

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment

NERA Economic Consulting2019-10-04
  2. "Decent pay and benefits. Tedious, unpredictable work with terrible work culture."

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in White Plains, NY

I have been working at NERA Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent starting pay and bonus, although bonus is discretionary and varies wildly from group to group even within the office. Good associated benefits from parent company MMC. Some cases can have interesting economic arguments to them. Good place to pick up essential qualitative and writing skills, and improve efficiency in using software such as Excel,

Cons

Generally boring, menial and tedious work, with huge variability in cases with NO flexibility in choosing your cases. Unpredictable hours/weeks means that you can have an 11 hour day on Tuesday, nothing on Wednesday and 10 hours again on Thursday. Company is very decentralized and hence you are stuck doing projects under the same partner and team. No real promotional prospects without a PhD at the junior level and... responsibilities majorly remain the same while progressing from Research Associate (Analyst I) to even Analyst (Analyst III) Non existent office culture and little collegiality even between junior staff. Tends to be a place where people come in grudgingly and want to leave ASAP. Limited exit options outside the management consulting sphere. Overall: Good job for people who who have a knack for (sometimes unnecessary) attention to detail and plan to leave in 1-2 years to do something like law school. Would not recommend otherwise.

Advice to Management

Take and give FREQUENT feedback from junior staff and develop a sense of collegiality between juniors and seniors. Improve communication between consultants in the same group even though project work may not overlap. Develop a more active management style with a sense of belonging.

NERA Economic Consulting2019-10-19
  3. "Fantastic company lots to learn"

Former Employee - Research Associate in White Plains, NY

I worked at NERA Economic Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a lot to learn, lots of traveling, international offices

Cons

no opportunity to rise in consulting career without Phd. Career opportunity between Bachelors or Masters and Phd.

Advice to Management

More career development opportunities post Masters level.

NERA Economic Consulting2019-06-30
  4. "Good place to start career"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at NERA Economic Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learn a lot of practical skills; think management consulting with less soft skills and more quant skills

Cons

Experience depends HIGHLY on your team; for me, downsides were related to workload and opportunities for growth without a PhD

NERA Economic Consulting2019-05-07

"Good place to learn. Long hours."

I worked at NERA Economic Consulting full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Self development is strongly encouraged. Opportunity to learn and expand your skills and education

Cons

long hours. Bonuses do not compensate enough fo rth enumber of extrea hours worked.

Advice to Management

Encourage / enforce a better life work balance. Or ensure the bonuses for non-senior staff are more level with the extra hours worked. After all, they billed the clients for the vast majority of those extra hours.

NERA Economic Consulting2019-04-17

"General Review"

Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at NERA Economic Consulting full-time

Pros

Intelligent and collaborative colleagues. Helps build a mixture of qualitative and quantitative skills.

Cons

Challenging and unpredictable work hours.

NERA Economic Consulting2019-04-02

"Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at NERA Economic Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My review is limited to the NY AT office. Opportunities for lots of responsibility, very interesting work, get to understand the dynamics of many industries, extremely intelligent co-workers, a culturally diverse group, excellent pay.

Cons

Can have extremely long and stressful work hours sometimes, not a great work-life balance (but can be worked on), some team members can be difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance should be given more importance, seniors should be more actively engaged/responsive to the team.

NERA Economic Consulting2019-04-01

"Terrible Work Environment"

I worked at NERA Economic Consulting full-time

Pros

-junior staff are nice and supportive

Cons

-monotonous work that doesn't require any real thinking which significantly limits exit options -poor pay and benefits -horrible managers that don't seem to prioritize work efficiency and seem to think that researchers don't have a life outside of work -managers tend to blame researchers for anything that goes wrong, I've seen some managers berate researchers so harshly that they start crying at their... desks -non-existent office culture, seniors don't bother investing time and energy into junior staff. there is no regard for whether researchers are happy or actually growing. -overall, people don't seem to be happy, I personally regretted coming here after college and wished I had taken another offer

NERA Economic Consulting2019-04-25

"Long hours, but competitive pay"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst

I have been working at NERA Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to learn a lot about various industries and statistical programming. Get to work closely with upper level consultants and experts (although I've heard this varies by office/practice area). Pay is extremely competitive and makes it hard to leave. Managing directors genuinely care about your career path and want you to succeed in the future/after leaving the company.

Cons

Long, long, long, unpredictable hours. Depending on project manager, environment can feel like you're expected to be a workaholic with no life outside of your project. Having to ask permission to make 7pm dinner plans a week in advance makes you feel like a teenager with a curfew. Some of the best practices feel extremely inefficient, which can be wildly frustrating. Spends too much time on irrelevant details... that have no impact on the project outcome, leading to all-nighters to get the important work done. Wish there was more autonomy over how I spend my work day. Experience depends largely on your project manager, who is either great or a micromanaging pain to work with.

Advice to Management

Allow your researchers to review project managers, even anonymously would be fine. Needs to be some level of policing the workaholic managers to keep them from overworking their research staff. Be more specific about the work hours that are expected of us on any given week. i.e., "This week we don't have any major deadlines, everyone should be leaving by 5:30." "This week we need to be more proactive, let's work til... 7:30." It gets so exhausting to tell friends/family that you don't know when you're going to be out of work, especially if you think it will be early and your manager ends up dumping a new pile of work on you as you're about to walk out the door. The "work til it's done" mentality is what's causing so much turnover.

NERA Economic Consulting2019-03-26

"I have been working full time in NERA since last year"

Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at NERA Economic Consulting full-time

Pros

NERA has some of the smartest people I've worked with

Cons

Inefficient project and people management. Lack of appreciation to staffs from management. No work life balance. Expect to work in the weekend or after midnight during weekdays. No sense of project ownership (they just staff you and take you out of project). Researches are basically just data monkey. Day-to-day is very dull. No collaborative work environment. Poor on-the-job training as they expect you to pick... things up quickly on your own. No career advancement for fresh graduate.

NERA Economic Consulting2019-04-18