Myplanet "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Myplanet Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jul 25, 2019

4.7
Myplanet Founder and CEO Jason Cottrell (no image)
Jason Cottrell
Pros
  • "Work life balance (Really understand that employees have life outside work)(in 11 reviews)

• "The Leadership Team are available, communicative and hands-on(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing and is facing 'growing pains'(in 8 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work and explore more with fun !!!!"

Current Employee - Software Developer In Test

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing is the work culture. It doesn't matter what limitations one has, team will figure out the way to solve and encourage each other. Management knows the importance of work life balance.

Cons

Self learning and exploring things feels overwhelming sometimes because of limited resources but negligible if, you are enthusiastic to figure out the ways on your own and educate others

Myplanet2019-07-25
  2. "Amazing Place To Work"

Current Contractor - Interaction Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet for less than a year

Pros

- Great culture and amazing team - Cool office - Engaging projects - Good work-life balance

Cons

- None come to mind

Myplanet2019-03-30

"Fun, Challenging, Smart, Humane Company"

Current Employee - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Truly believe and understand work-life balance - Live and breathe the values of diversity - Do their best to pair employees with projects, technologies, industries, and design challenges they are interested in - Care deeply about everyone

Cons

The company is growing quickly due to delivering well on projects, and so are experiencing growing pains, Figuring out how to rework office space, staffing projects up without hiring too quickly, etc. But consistently ask for feedback on how to handle this better.

Myplanet2018-11-08

Myplanet Response

January 30, 2019CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to review— it’s really nice to hear you recognize and appreciate the time and care we put into trying to pair the right people with the right projects to ensure team success. In particular as we expand our practice areas into new and emerging technologies in the AI & ML spaces, it’s important to us to keep our teams learning and growing in ways that feel good for them. And you’re right, the expanding team and work has meant some “growing pains” around the office in Toronto! We’re definitely committed to resolving those and have secured additional space on a separate floor to help alleviate some of the challenges around meeting rooms and quiet spaces in particular to help teams and individuals focus.

Continue reading
  4. "Great Company. Always learning. Good growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As many people have said, Myplanet has an amazing culture of work life balance. They understand that people are people and not just commodities. They genuinely care about employee well being, health, happiness and fulfillment on the job. Projects are varied and challenging. There is always something interesting to work on, and perhaps at times that can also wind up being a con as well. Being a client shop, things can be pretty fast paced. Myplanet is always open to feedback and constructive criticism to make the company better. The management are all really good people who are always listening for ways to improve the company. The people are all amazing. Everyone there seems to love what they do. The teams are genuinely awesome, and the managers, project leads, and leadership are all warm kind people. Something that seems rare in the world of business today.

Cons

Of course, nothing is completely perfect. As mentioned by others, it can be hard to find a room for meetings. Myplanet has faltered and stumbled in the past and gone through some growing pains. They still are as they find new areas to work in with new clients and new kinds of projects. As it expands, it is redefining its identity, which can be disorienting at times, and mean that learning takes place on project, and by trial and error. The company can seem understaffed at times, and thus it means that developers can have fast overlap between projects, be pulled quickly off of one and put onto another, and some projects can feel like they would benefit from another non-existent dev. It can be hard to know exactly what you will work on next until you are on it, and then it is just rolling with things as they come. Some people can thrive in that environment, and others not as much. Stability in company processes is still being worked out, which can also make it a great place if you are a thinker, a thought leader and a doer. There is a lot of room for growth to become better in certain areas, redefining aspects of company culture and company practices, such as around custom software architecture and design. It can be frustrating at times not having these things already in place, but also means that it is an area that contributions are welcomed and embraced. In that sense, none of these things are totally cons. They are just the realities of companies that are growing, evolving and changing. That growth has its pains, but we all go through it together.

Myplanet2018-11-01

Myplanet Response

January 30, 2019CEO

"They understand that people are people and not just commodities” Yes! This is exactly how we have worked to structure things from the get-go. I’m so glad that it’s being felt by the team as a whole. And as regards the developer community growth, I’d love to hear more thoughts on this if you’re willing to share. We are determined to hold ourselves to our values of innovation and mastery and you’re right, it’s a big group with a vast skill set and we’re probably missing opportunities to harness it. I’d love your thoughts on how the initiatives discussed at our last SOTU might help in this regard. We have been thinking a lot about this and our hires and initiatives in 2019 are largely focused around this. Thank you for keeping this top-of-mind and please do share some of your thoughts directly if you’re willing. I’d love to hear where you think this could go!

Continue reading
  5. "Doing all the right things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Amazing work culture 2) Smart and collaborative peers 3) Open management, heading in the right direction 4) Work life balance (Really understand that employees have life outside work)

Cons

Right since the interview day till today, haven't found any major cons. There are of course downsides in any company but what matters is that the company or management acknowledges it and actively tries to resolve it. Myplanet does that very openly and efficiently with respect to gap in company processes or interview process or tech best practices.

Myplanet2018-10-25
  6. "Smart people doing great work"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work in the futuristic space. Awesome work culture and work life balance. Very friendly management.

Cons

Nothing really to mention here.

Myplanet2018-10-24

"Product Strategist"

Current Employee - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Myplanet has done an incredible job of hiring smart, fun, and caring people. It is truly like any other place I've worked. - The office is in a beautiful heritage building and everyone is provided a standing desk, ergonomic chair, a high performance computer, and all the peripherals you will need to do your job effectively. - There is a great deal of autonomy afforded to individual project teams.

Cons

- The company is going through significant growth which is great but the office is squeezed for space so there isn't a lot of quiet space available for those who need it. - In my limited experience, project teams can fluctuate quite a bit which makes delivery more difficult when you are balancing both a challenging project and changing people. - There could be a better sense of work-life balance. Staff are passionate about doing great work but there is a need to ensure people don't burn themselves out.

Myplanet2018-08-27
  8. "Great environment and work life balance"

Current Employee - Fullstack Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible hours - Work-life balance - Being an outsourcing company gives you many opportunities to work on several different clients/technologies - Great Downtown location

Cons

- Company struggles a little on how to place employees amongst the building 3 floors. - A gym reimbursement would be a great nice to have - Being an outsourcing company could also mean you could work with technologies that are not part of your expertise

Myplanet2018-07-26
  9. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great work life balance - Care about career growth - You can bring your dog!

Cons

- Because consultancy, will eventually work with older tech, or tech you don't know - No gym membership reimbursement

Myplanet2018-07-31
  10. "Business development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Myplanet has proven to be a humbling experience so far - exactly what I thought it would be // how the role was communicated to me in the interview process. A few pros that come to mind: - Coming from a larger tech giant, I find that there is so much humanity here (in the work they do, their business process and how they treat their people) - also one of the first Bcorps in Canada. This was a huge in my decision to move here and it hasn't failed to disappoint - extremely fulfilling. Really rare to see in the tech space. - Opportunity to work with a team with so much personality, integrity and expertise in their own domains. Opportunity to build something ground up. - Given that we're on an upward sloping growth trajectory, there is a lot of work to be done, which is a challenge but also a huge opportunity if you're a self starter. - Work with some of the biggest and leading companies in the world - projects are exciting. - Dogs in the office (for those who love dogs). - Our office is a heritage site and the first Bank of Canada building, real delight to the eyes. - Feel like I'm getting paid to learn. - They value work-life balance. - Mindfulness training.

Cons

- No free lunches but lots of free coffee/cocoa

Myplanet2017-12-12