Myplanet Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Nov 7, 2018

4.7
Myplanet Founder and CEO Jason Cottrell (no image)
Jason Cottrell
Pros
  • "Work life balance (Really understand that employees have life outside work)(in 11 reviews)

• "Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business(in 10 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Fun, Challenging, Smart, Humane Company"

Current Employee - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Truly believe and understand work-life balance - Live and breathe the values of diversity - Do their best to pair employees with projects, technologies, industries, and design challenges they are interested in - Care deeply about everyone

Cons

The company is growing quickly due to delivering well on projects, and so are experiencing growing pains, Figuring out how to rework office space, staffing projects up without hiring too quickly, etc. But consistently ask for feedback on how to handle this better.

January 30, 2019CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to review— it’s really nice to hear you recognize and appreciate the time and care we put into trying to pair the right people with the right projects to ensure team success. In particular as we expand our practice areas into new and emerging technologies in the AI & ML spaces, it’s important to us to keep our teams learning and growing in ways that feel good for them. And you’re right, the expanding team and work has meant some “growing pains” around the office in Toronto! We’re definitely committed to resolving those and have secured additional space on a separate floor to help alleviate some of the challenges around meeting rooms and quiet spaces in particular to help teams and individuals focus.

2. "Another year of growth and amazing work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- The company is growing and the work coming in is exciting and challenging - C-level folks are accessible and the company cares about the employers - Amazing co-workers - Great culture

Cons

- The company is growing and is facing 'growing pains'

3. "Great Company. Always learning. Good growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As many people have said, Myplanet has an amazing culture of work life balance. They understand that people are people and not just commodities. They genuinely care about employee well being, health, happiness and fulfillment on the job. Projects are varied and challenging. There is always something interesting to work on, and perhaps at times that can also wind up being a con as well. Being a client shop, things can be pretty fast paced. Myplanet is always open to feedback and constructive criticism to make the company better. The management are all really good people who are always listening for ways to improve the company. The people are all amazing. Everyone there seems to love what they do. The teams are genuinely awesome, and the managers, project leads, and leadership are all warm kind people. Something that seems rare in the world of business today.

Cons

Of course, nothing is completely perfect. As mentioned by others, it can be hard to find a room for meetings. Myplanet has faltered and stumbled in the past and gone through some growing pains. They still are as they find new areas to work in with new clients and new kinds of projects. As it expands, it is redefining its identity, which can be disorienting at times, and mean that learning takes place on project, and by trial and error. The company can seem understaffed at times, and thus it means that developers can have fast overlap between projects, be pulled quickly off of one and put onto another, and some projects can feel like they would benefit from another non-existent dev. It can be hard to know exactly what you will work on next until you are on it, and then it is just rolling with things as they come. Some people can thrive in that environment, and others not as much. Stability in company processes is still being worked out, which can also make it a great place if you are a thinker, a thought leader and a doer. There is a lot of room for growth to become better in certain areas, redefining aspects of company culture and company practices, such as around custom software architecture and design. It can be frustrating at times not having these things already in place, but also means that it is an area that contributions are welcomed and embraced. In that sense, none of these things are totally cons. They are just the realities of companies that are growing, evolving and changing. That growth has its pains, but we all go through it together.

January 30, 2019CEO

"They understand that people are people and not just commodities” Yes! This is exactly how we have worked to structure things from the get-go. I’m so glad that it’s being felt by the team as a whole. And as regards the developer community growth, I’d love to hear more thoughts on this if you’re willing to share. We are determined to hold ourselves to our values of innovation and mastery and you’re right, it’s a big group with a vast skill set and we’re probably missing opportunities to harness it. I’d love your thoughts on how the initiatives discussed at our last SOTU might help in this regard. We have been thinking a lot about this and our hires and initiatives in 2019 are largely focused around this. Thank you for keeping this top-of-mind and please do share some of your thoughts directly if you’re willing. I’d love to hear where you think this could go!

4. "A Remarkable Workplace With An Unbeatable Culture, Prioritizing People And Work/Life Balance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Myplanet for a little over 6 months now and I must say that I am completely impressed by my experience so far. Here are some notable items: GENERAL PERKS: - Plenty of opportunities to receive and provide mentorship - Remote working/work from home friendly - Flexible working hours/schedule - 5 "awesome days" for all employees to work on professional development, projects or anything you want to learn to better your skills - Profit sharing and stock options - Pet friendly office. You can bring your dog to work. A very nice way to relieve stress in the work place - Office inside of a cool historic building in Toronto (tall ceilings, big windows, exposed brick, etc.) - Professional development budget for books, courses, some conferences and even buying new tech VALUES & CULTURE: - Myplanet has a solid culture, series of process and wonderful people - Strong culture of inclusivity that feels authentic - Hack days every quarter where you can collaborate with people from across different teams to solve interesting design/tech/business - Great pride in providing amazing customer experiences problems - Company is investing time and resources in very interesting areas like AR, VR, Voice-Tech... amongst others - There is a strong culture of knowledge sharing and promoting thought leadership - Myplanet is solid is in documenting its processes. The company wiki is great and super helpful. - Lightning talks every week. A chance to watch an interesting presentation done by another team member, and enjoy drinks and snacks with everyone - Culture of mindfulness and meditation is present throughout the company - 360 degree reviews are done every quarter, where you self-assess yourself and your peers which help inform your semi-annual compensation reviews PEOPLE & LEADERSHIP: - My coworkers are very intelligent and fascinating people - The IT staff are very great in providing you with fast tech support and the right tools to help you get your job done well. - The leadership team are very down to earth and are very approachable - 4 of the 5 original founders still work for the company - CEO is a very nice guy and actually takes the time to get to know people - Paths of advancements are made very clear to employees - Managers work closely with employees for professional development - People are given shoutouts for doing good work as well as for general celebrations (birthdays, work anniversaries, etc.) MISC.: - They have an impressive portfolio of clients and partners (some you'll learn more about upon joining the team) - Opportunities to travel for work if you work in a client-services oriented role - The company is always on brand - Employee retention seems quite strong

Cons

Like any company, it has some growing pains but nothing too major. The building is split into 3 floors so sometimes you feel separated from people on the other floors. The space is starting to feel more full as a result of growth. But the leadership team is acquiring more space to handle that. The office can feel quiet sometimes because people are offsite for client visits and so on. There are no stocked shelves full of snacks like other tech companies (that could change though)

Continue reading
  5. "Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Myplanet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very friendly, caring, supportive, and kind organization. - Talented people who care deeply about their work. - High potential for personal growth. - Interesting projects with opportunity to travel. - Fortunate to have worked with people who had similar interests and personalities. I still keep in touch with all of them. - The leadership team does a good job of being transparent. - Incredibly bright, yet funky creative director.

Cons

- I worked on a product in its earliest phase that had low impact and was made in isolation both internally and externally. It didn't feel engaging or meaningful at the time, though I'm sure this has improved. - Agency growing pains were very apparent at times.

March 21, 2016CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to post your experience. Our whole team works day-and-night to ensure the best experience for our team members. That funky Creative Director you mention is one of the most dedicated, I'm very fortunate to work with him. Our value of Humanity is all about knowing your co-workers as people, and it sounds like that's resonated and been successful for you. Also our value of Mastery in the potential for personal growth and challenge. A side note - the product you worked on in its early days will correlate to 1/3 of our revenue this year, just a short time later. Thank-you for all your hard work in helping to build a repeatable, strong growth model for the Myplanet team. All the best in your future endeavours.

"Choose Your Own Adventure"

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

What sets Myplanet apart from other companies of similar size is their empowerment of employees to actively participate in "choosing their own adventure". This includes influencing what projects are worked on, what processes are used, and contributing to the company culture. In addition to this, it's encouraged across all levels (process, culture, projects, company) to openly provide feedback and your opinion on almost everything. Other items of note: - Appropriate autonomy for both teams and individuals - Flexible and Accepting culture (flex hours, beer, dogs, etc) - Great building - Smart people to work with - Awesome remote technology - Whiteboards aplenty - Great for lovers of design and technology - The company is finding it's way in terms of focus and process (which is exciting!)

Cons

No real cons... but several challenges. it's worth noting that most, if not all, of these challenges stem from the company's decision to grow and set themselves up for success. In other words: These would be expected of a company of this size and age. (1) Company Focus: It has been a bit of a moving target, but we may be onto something now. (2) People Management: Given the growing pains, there have been higher than usual turnover and recruiting (3) Process: We're trying to find ourselves and how we want to work... and turning that into a process that's repeatable and easy to sell to clients. This is a great move for us, but certain risks are attached in "bucketing" engagements and trying out new approaches If you're junior and not familiar with organizational change and growth, you should know that the above is expected of any professional services startup that's growing out of "startup" mode. While it can be challenging for some people to be part of this type of environment, it's just as exciting for others as they have the rare ability to contribute to how a company determines its strategy and delivers on the tactics required to achieve it.

May 27, 2015CEO

Thanks for providing a comprehensive and honest review. Yes, we agree on the notion that our Myplaneteers can choose their path here at Myplanet… our job is to provide the tools to further their professional careers. 2014 was a year of evolution for us, and as you prefaced, many of the “cons” are typical for a company of our stage. We are working hard to ensure those challenges can also serve as an opportunity for those who are comfortable in this type of environment. Thank-you again for being a valued Myplaneteer.

"As a Web Developer at Myplanet, expect Drupal, a quick pace of work, working in scrum and a great environment."

Former Intern - Web Developer in Markham, ON

I worked at Myplanet for less than a year

Pros

Lots of in-house Drupal talent means that Myplanet is one of the leaders in Drupal technologies in the region. The company has a focus on employees' well being, providing in-house meditation and yoga sessions, as well as having the mindful culture run through a lot of its operations.

Cons

As a young company in rapid growth, it's going through the usual growing pains of scaling and the internal logistics trying to adapt rapidly.

"A very good experience"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

Committed to agile (Scrum). Fun working environment. Flexible working arrangements. Opportunity to work on interesting projects. Opportunity to learn new things.

Cons

A few growing pains. Not much more to say here, but I see there is a 20 word minimum, so I'll keep typing for a bit. Is that good? OK!

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews