Myplanet Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Jason Cottrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I continue to grow"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

-My team is super smart
    -We work for some of top companies in the world. Most customers are in the US and Europe
    -I can definitely notice my skills growing, and management is very committed to feedback. We get detailed feedback twice per year that is constructive and helpful.
    -The company is growing quite a bit. This is exiting, as they struggled with their sales model in 2015 but seem to have learned from the mistakes.
    -I like the commitment to making all employees owners
    -The company has been investing heavily in data and machine learning. There seems to be a commitment to significant skills upgrades and training for all of us.

Cons

-Company can be very Toronto centric as that’s where most people are based. This is improving.
    - I’m worried that the new capabilities we are building might come out of my own time.
    -Customer-facing roles often have a travel component. Most people have to spend a few days travelling each quarter, but Engagement Lead and Client Service roles can be more. Most travel is to San Francisco and London UK.
    -Work hours can be busy in spurts around product deadlines.
    -I’m not always sure what my stock options mean for me. This could be explained better.

Advice to Management

- Keep diligent on new hires to make sure our team stays strong. - - Spend more time with each team and employee to help convey what Smarter Interfaces will mean for them

"Great place to work at"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- really smart co-workers
    - ambitious leadership team who are also very open to inputs
    - a lot of potential to grow
    - the company actually cares about their employees

Cons

- the last few years, the growth has been limited BUT that is changing now
    - the long-term strategy/ vision of the company is unclear sometimes

"One of the better places I've worked at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- the opportunities are there to be had if you reach out and grab them
    - always positive personalities; inclusivity is important; help is always there if you need it
    - good work (i.e., money-generating efforts) is recognized and nurtured
    - genuine attempt to adapt to new tech
    - processes exist, but can be adapted to suit a team's particular style
    - time off is straight forward to book and not usually a problem
    - work is as interesting and challenging as you want it to be

Cons

- some work can be considered "grunt" work for clients, but that's what pays the bills
    - perhaps I'm just too cynical, but I encounter many personalities which seem overly positive; bordering on unrealistic. but positive is definitely better than negative!
    - too much sales-y, kool-aid, jargon-talk; not enough substance, guts, and realism

Advice to Management

Try to keep things real. Be concise, use plain language, and try to lay off the kool-aid. That said, don't stop thinking big: would love to see some risks taken on in-house products and/or projects that push the boundaries rather than simply purchasing a licensing agreement from an existing vendor.

17 Oct, 2017 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm also really glad that you've noticed that we are never resting on our laurels. Our team does tend to be positive, and while it's... More

"Fake…"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

A free MyPlanet T-shirt! That comes in a size that perfectly fits you!

Cons

My advice? I don’t recommend working for them… Why?

Because they’re fake.. You can’t be “Real” or “Honest” when working in this company. Proof?

They would say one thing in your face, but their true intentions are totally different. They pretend to be all about “Empathy” but they’re all about their bottom line.

Technically speaking, there is no real “Innovation” in this company because they have a “process” that they re-use for every project and just slightly modify it.

They will give you a group of 5 cards to recommend people in this company, then you’re supposed to review them with the CEO. The cards are about “Innovation”, “Mastery”, “Collaboration”, “Focus” & “Humanity”. They possess none of these
    qualities, especially the last one.

If you decide to work for them. I give you the following advice:
    • Be prepared to have the “Sheep” mentality where you can’t voice your honest opinion but have to be “Fake” and say whatever they expect you to say.
    • Read the contract that they will make you sign carefully, it would include a lot of “Clauses” that are aimed to protect “them” not “you”.
    • Br prepared to become their “Slave”. They will make you work 9-5, weeknights and weekends.
    • Expect to have no life, your life will become their life.
    • Expect to be pressured into going to their “Extra-Curricular” activities.
    • Expect to hear “Profanity” and “Racial Slurs”. It is the norm.
    • Expect that if you come with a new idea to solve a specific issue for it to be immediately shot down by other “Team members” if it doesn’t follow their “process”.
    • Expect people with huge “egos” that support each other by feeding each other’s “ego”. Expect to “feed their egos”.
    • You have to “Show off” the exact amount of work that you have done. It’s expected. If you don’t you’ll not be credited for it.
    • No room for growth. People who have been working there the longest are still in the same positions.
    • They try to save money in any way possible (Nickels and Dimes). As an example, they would wait till the last day of the “Free Trial Period” of the applications required to do your job so that they can save money.
    • Workplace is terrible, you’re expected to perform where you’re given a tiny desk in the middle of the hallway where you’re crammed with your other “team mates”.

Advice to Management

• If you don’t make a radical change in your “Company Culture” you will pay for it in the future, both in growth and progress.
    • When you reply to my review please don’t use <br/>, HTML doesn’t work here (Check previous replies to “Real” reviews).

10 Oct, 2017 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to post your experience. While over 95% of our hires acclimate successfully into their roles, sometimes we do make a mistake. It seems like your time with us wasn't a... More

"Stop Acting Like a Startup"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Smart co-workers. Great building to work from. And Global clients with interesting projects (if you're on the right teams).

Cons

1. Keep making the same mistakes (process & discipline)
    2. Seem not to believe in the need for management.
    3. Need to trust more in delegating work to people.

Advice to Management

At some point you have to stop acting like a startup. Find your Eric Schmidt.

17 Aug, 2017 – CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your experience.

We also feel fortunate to work with many smart people that we enjoy being around. We like to describe our culture as one of makers... More

"Great work environment"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- Everyone at the company enjoys working with one another
    - Lots of room to grow and opportunity to work on a variety of projects
    - Leadership team keen on helping each team member grow (with budget on conferences and professional development)
    - Flexible work from home policies
    - Great office!

Cons

- Company direction wasn't clear at times

17 Aug, 2017 – CEO

Thank-you so much for your review.

I'm fortunate to work as part of a leadership team that's exceptionally dedicated to the growth of their team members. It's great to see that you have... More

8. "Great company culture but lack of technology leadership"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great environment with lots of smart people around you.
    - Open atmosphere and no corporate bureaucracy bullcrap.
    - Small teams meaning everyone has opportunity to shine.
    - Friendly and casual.
    - Teams are self organized and has a great deal of freedom in what to do with their projects.

Overall, Myplanet is a great place to work if you're fresh in the industry and it sets the culture bar pretty high.

Cons

- Projects can sometimes get stressful and requires people to work overtime. However in such situations teams usually do so voluntarily, and any member unwilling to do so is understood, and no upper management will apply pressure due to the self-organizing nature.
    - Heritage building undergoes various maintenance and repairs regularly and it can get noisy and annoying when it happens for months onward.
    - Personnels can get yanked and moved around projects even in the middle of a project. The context switches can sometimes be very disruptive.
    - Lack of general tech leadership, teams are like an independent working units that don't follow too much of a general guideline or share technology aspects.
    - Being a smaller company, the benefits and compensation isn't at the top.

If you are an experienced expert in your field, place for growth is limited.

Advice to Management

- Establish more clearly defined tech leadership principles to guide the different teams to work more efficiently. For example Amazon's SOA approach. There are lots of repeating work between projects which is wasted resource.
    - Get better at writing SOWs in some of the projects.

9. "Overall great people and good culture."

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

-Friendly, supportive co-workers
    -Amazing office (historic building)
    -Autonomy (Flat structure)
    -Well intentioned, understanding, and respectful management (These guys are honestly some of the nicest, coolest guys I've worked for)
    -A good number of interesting projects with some well-known brands

Cons

-Frequent shifting focus and direction from leadership
    -Slow company growth
    -Lack of clear individual growth path / opportunities

Advice to Management

Focus on balancing both building foundation and growth initiatives.

10. "Easy to become part of the team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

I have been "friends" with the company for a number of years and it is exciting to join the team and become a Myplaneteer.

- A team of smart, capable individuals
    - Takes learning and development very seriously with 1:1 coaching as well as weekly learning sessions
    - Excellent workspace and comfortable working environment in a really cool office
    - Autonomy and responsibility: if you're the team leader, you lead the team
    - Startup atmosphere and a very entrepreneurial culture. The company wants you to inspire positive change
    - Investments in mindfulness and employee well being
    - There is always somebody you can ask a question to

Cons

- I had expected in some areas more established processes on how certain aspects of the business are handled. That said, Myplanet is a startup, and process is an area I can see the company is working hard on improving

Advice to Management

Get a little better every day and stay in tune with your (amazing) people!

16 Sep, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your experience.

We also feel fortunate to work with many smart, collaborative individuals. We are also glad you have recognized the very active... More

11. "Great opportunity"

Former Employee - Interaction Designer
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer

Pros

Flexible working hours, great people, great benefits, performance reviews held regularly and with good feedback. The company is very transparent and keeps its employees aware of its plans and goals, and how employees fit into those goals. Questions and engagement in the company's future are fostered and encouraged.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but the projects are very enterprise-focused, though there is a good deal of variety within those. There's a lot of jumping around between projects as you're needed, so not much chance to see a project through from start to finish. Not a lot of time or budget for conferences or training.

Advice to Management

Apply the transparency and commitment from the director presentations to employee training and opportunities for learning and career progression outside of Myplanet. I found that things like this were enabled, but not necessarily encouraged, nor was there a process outlined for it, and that would have been helpful. Also, encourage employees to maintain a better work/life balance!

12 Apr, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to post your experience here at Myplanet. We're focused on creating inspired software experiences in the enterprise, from how people discover and buy products, to the... More