Myplanet Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Cottrell

1. Featured Review

"Easy to become part of the team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

I have been "friends" with the company for a number of years and it is exciting to join the team and become a Myplaneteer.

- A team of smart, capable individuals
    - Takes learning and development very seriously with 1:1 coaching as well as weekly learning sessions
    - Excellent workspace and comfortable working environment in a really cool office
    - Autonomy and responsibility: if you're the team leader, you lead the team
    - Startup atmosphere and a very entrepreneurial culture. The company wants you to inspire positive change
    - Investments in mindfulness and employee well being
    - There is always somebody you can ask a question to

Cons

- I had expected in some areas more established processes on how certain aspects of the business are handled. That said, Myplanet is a startup, and process is an area I can see the company is working hard on improving

Advice to Management

Get a little better every day and stay in tune with your (amazing) people!

16 Sep, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your experience. We also feel fortunate to work with many smart, collaborative individuals. We are also glad you have recognized the very active ... More

"5+ great years"

Former Employee - Director, Product in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Director, Product in Toronto, ON

I worked at Myplanet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm one of the co-founders of Myplanet and consider the 5 years I spent there to be some of the best I've had.

I've come to appreciate the Myplanet culture more and more as I've spent time away from the company working on a new startup. There's this mutual respect that everyone has for one another that I can't quite do justice in print - it manifests as designers being genuinely interested in the pros & cons of the latest JavaScript framework and developers absorbing this unusual awareness of type & composition. Everyone shares this conviction that what they do is a craft that must constantly be honed, but they're also interested in what's going on around them. After a few years there you emerge with a certain kind of "T-shapedness", if you will.

The management team genuinly cares about what Myplaneteers think and are constantly working to make it a great space to work. They're also very selective about the type of work they take on - we said no to far more projects than we've ever taken on.

The company also cares a lot about environmental impact and being a good corporate citizen - Myplanet was a b corp hipster, i.e. they were into it before it was cool.

Cons

Autonomy is heavily prized at Myplanet. If you don't deal well with ambiguity and having to make your own decisions, it probably isn't the right place for you.

23 Sep, 2015 – CEO

I'm impressed that you remembered T-shapedness! Thank-you for all of your contributions during your time with us and for sharing your experience. Please do stay in touch as we host more and more ... More

3. "Great company culture but lack of technology leadership"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great environment with lots of smart people around you.
    - Open atmosphere and no corporate bureaucracy bullcrap.
    - Small teams meaning everyone has opportunity to shine.
    - Friendly and casual.
    - Teams are self organized and has a great deal of freedom in what to do with their projects.

Overall, Myplanet is a great place to work if you're fresh in the industry and it sets the culture bar pretty high.

Cons

- Projects can sometimes get stressful and requires people to work overtime. However in such situations teams usually do so voluntarily, and any member unwilling to do so is understood, and no upper management will apply pressure due to the self-organizing nature.
    - Heritage building undergoes various maintenance and repairs regularly and it can get noisy and annoying when it happens for months onward.
    - Personnels can get yanked and moved around projects even in the middle of a project. The context switches can sometimes be very disruptive.
    - Lack of general tech leadership, teams are like an independent working units that don't follow too much of a general guideline or share technology aspects.
    - Being a smaller company, the benefits and compensation isn't at the top.

If you are an experienced expert in your field, place for growth is limited.

Advice to Management

- Establish more clearly defined tech leadership principles to guide the different teams to work more efficiently. For example Amazon's SOA approach. There are lots of repeating work between projects which is wasted resource.
    - Get better at writing SOWs in some of the projects.

5. "Fellow"

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in North York, ON
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in North York, ON

I worked at Myplanet (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good atomosphere. Team is small and you can learn a lot.

Cons

Pay is pretty bad. and heard working time is very long.

12 Apr, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you for your review. We're definitely proud of our talented, close-knit team, and have worked hard to provide an inspiring work environment. For our Fellowship training program the focus on our ... More

6. "Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very friendly, caring, supportive, and kind organization.
    - Talented people who care deeply about their work.
    - High potential for personal growth.
    - Interesting projects with opportunity to travel.
    - Fortunate to have worked with people who had similar interests and personalities. I still keep in touch with all of them.
    - The leadership team does a good job of being transparent.
    - Incredibly bright, yet funky creative director.

Cons

- I worked on a product in its earliest phase that had low impact and was made in isolation both internally and externally. It didn't feel engaging or meaningful at the time, though I'm sure this has improved.
    - Agency growing pains were very apparent at times.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work, and best of luck!

21 Mar, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to post your experience. Our whole team works day-and-night to ensure the best experience for our team members. That funky Creative Director you mention is one of the ... More

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for different types of work and clients this is the best place to be. Media, telecom and financial are only a few of the industries you'll be touching on. Friendly, great and smart people to work with every day.

Cons

The pace of work comes and goes, not yet a mature company so everything isn't process driven and reliable (pro and con)

29 Jan, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to post your experiences working at Myplanet. We're quite proud of the global clients, customers and partners that we have an opportunity to work with. They have ... More

"Cult-ish"

Former Employee - Knowledge Worker in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Knowledge Worker in Toronto, ON

Pros

Doodles, they have nice doodles.

Cons

This company is a group of friends who are all like-minded. There is no room for others if you are not like them. They spend a lot of time meditating and conducting mindfulness. It's very cult-like. If you run into a problem with one person, the whole company turns against you. There is no room for creativity and any ideas you bring to the table will be quickly shot down by the rest of the group who relentlessly stroke each other's ego. A front end developer from Vancouver has more say regarding a design task in Toronto then an actual designer from Toronto. The group spends way too much time together after work...it's almost as if they don't have a home to go to. Every year the company goes away to a cottage to binge drink for 3 days. There is relentless pressure to go, and if you don't go, you and your ideas are excluded from meetings. I've never seen anything like this.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give to them because they are set in their ways and won't change. I can't help them.

21 Jan, 2016 – Marketing & Community Engagement

Thank-you for your review. It sounds like you had difficulty integrating into, and having effective communication with, your team. I can see that there was not a fit with Myplanet and your ... More

9. "Wonderful place to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Myplanet over the summer and have had the most wonderful experience so far. The biggest strength of this company is the amazing culture and the people you work with. People are friendly and always ready to help one another The company has some very well renowned clients and have in the last year forayed into the product market.

To sum up - I look forward to work every Monday morning. A great place to work at and I would highly recommend Myplanet to anyone who asks me. Definitely the best place I have worked at.

Cons

The company, for all its pros, is not very well known. Having the marketing and eventual visibility will help the company to attract top talent.

"Best place I have worked at"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Toronto, ON

Pros

- Amazing culture. Serious commitment to happiness and personal development of the employees.
    - Lots of great people. Inclusive and friendly environment.
    - Lots of transparency in the organization.
    - Great downtown location & workspace.

Cons

-Your expectations from workplaces can get drastically altered after working here. They might rise a bit too high. Seriously though, no real cons that I can think of so far. One issue might be that the open space concept can get distracting at times but there are noise free areas where you can retreat with your laptop.

23 Sep, 2015 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to leave your review. We have worked hard to build a culture we can be proud of. I look forward to adding your unique viewpoint and skills to the mix. :) Please do reach ... More

11. "Great culture, passionate attiitude"

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

Highly skilled and agile teams that produce quality work. Great communication skills all around.

Very friendly and social office culture with many engagement activities such as mindful meditation sessions, ping pong table, thursday evening beer social, group/team lunches just to name a few.

Cons

A lot of staff are spread around the world, which is cool, but be prepared to have your team members spread across 10+ time zones which can make meetings a bit difficult.

23 Sep, 2015 – CEO

Really glad that you are enjoying your experience as a Myplaneteer. We definitely go out of our way to hire a dynamic and skilled team. While having access to a global talent base is great, I agree ... More