Museum of Anthropology Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Jan 13, 2020

4.5
  1. "NYP"

I worked at Museum of Anthropology full-time

Pros

I loved the supportive work environment

Cons

I did not like the strict work attire

Museum of Anthropology2019-04-28
  2. "Great place to work! You truly get out of it what you put into it"

Former Employee - Tour Guide

I worked at Museum of Anthropology part-time

Pros

-Incredibly forward-thinking environment with regards to museum operations especially related to First Nations cultures -Very understanding of student schedules (lots of autonomy for when you will work) -A place that I am very proud to have worked - high prestige -Building communication skills from experiences of talking to all types of people from differing ages, nationalities, etc. -Lots of autonomy re: educating the public about First Nations cultures

Cons

The majority of the public-facing staff are students, and because the turnover can be quite high, there doesn't seem like the museum administration puts in that much effort to show how much they value the students. A weird discrepancy between the student interns and the public-facing student workers and it is really hard to be hired for non-public facing jobs once you've worked in the front.

Museum of Anthropology2020-01-14
  3. "Life changing"

Current Employee - Tour Guide in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Museum of Anthropology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meet lots of influential individuals, figure out what you want to do with your future, staff is respectful

Cons

Sometimes need to deal with ignorant museum visitors, no salary boosts or bonuses or overtime

Museum of Anthropology2015-08-17
  4. "I worked in the gift shop and did tours as a student. Loved every minute of it."

Former Employee - Tour Guide and Gift Shop Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Museum of Anthropology part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers, beautiful working environment, decent pay for a student job.

Cons

Some of the permanent staff in the archaeology department can be unfriendly toward student workers.

Museum of Anthropology2015-03-06
  5. "Excellent place to work as a student"

Former Employee - Gallery Guide in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Museum of Anthropology part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful environment, customers are usually open-minded visitors as they wouldn't have come in if they didn't like this stuff, learn lots about Aboriginal cultures. There are a variety of positions so you can work many positions or jump around.

Cons

Nothing bad really, when you work there as a student you mostly associate with other students and your managers, who are really nice. As with any place, there are some nice people among the staff, and some not-so-nice, but you're not generally associating with the office staff so it's all good.

Museum of Anthropology2013-03-29

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 5 reviews