MuleSoft Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated Jan 25, 2020

4.5
MuleSoft President & CEO Greg Schott
Greg Schott
Pros
Cons
  • "No work life balance made it tough some times(in 27 reviews)

• "This job is not a 9-5 and is very challenging(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "One of the best jobs I ever held"

Former Employee - Customer Success

I worked at MuleSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very smart people all around you - Outcome focussed teams always figuring out ways and collaborating to get things done - Open and transparent culture. Leadership provides a continuous stream of high-quality communications on strategy, direction, accomplishments and changes - Very structured and thoughtful approach to how each team operates and tremendous cross-team collaboration - Internal mobility, focus on diversity (and results), continuous learning, recognition and rewards are all pretty strong areas - Compensation is fair (and I believe on-par with Industry). Great growth opportunities - Highly customer focussed

Cons

(*Some of these are purely a result of scaling challenges versus flawed strategy or lack of operational excellence or lack/failure of leadership) - Process maturity needs improvement (although getting better every year) - Interaction with Product remains low (eg: Visibility into Product roadmap is low, control over roadmap, quality, schedule is low -- sometimes it feels Product does whatever they want to do, although they remain very customer-centric) - Only a few account execs are able to establish relationships with execs, have periodic engagement and sell/articulate value -- so CS has to play a larger role (which for learning and development of CS is great but comes in the way of scaling) - Too much focus on "creating" playbooks versus running the plays (lot of theory, frameworks peddled, but not enough maturity in "making it real") - That customer success is not just responsibility of one team but everyone is yet to be internalized - Product support and documentation needs to be improved massively. The knowledge people inside the company have needs to get out so that customers can improve their knowledge/skills - No concept of LTV/CAC - so they continue to run after customers who are not a good fit, and are a drain on resources. - Open Office/Hoteling sucks completely.

Continue reading

"Favorite place to work in my career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Strong, smart people who really care. - Sells into virtually every industry with countless use cases. We are tackling every problem that is a priority on a CIOs wish list. - Great culture and always trying to improve. This is an area where there are ups and downs depending on time of year, location, some other factors but overall, it is amazing and seems to be getting better. There are a group of people in every location that really take this upon themselves to go above and beyond their job description to contribute to this because of their desire to make this a desirable place to work for both future candidates and current Muleys - Career growth. Growing emphasis on mentorship, career growth, location flexibility, upskilling, etc.

Cons

Some areas of the business are great about getting out of their own way and making certain tasks frictionless to limit frustration. Some areas of the business really need to work at this. Overall, our mission is large and there is a lot of pressure to keep the growth going that we know is there as long as we execute.

VP APAC

thank you for taking the time to share this feedback - its greatly appreciated. Its so helpful to not only see the positive aspects of the feedback but equally - its great to see where we still need to do more. Actually, we always need to do more - its never finished! We will inevitably run into pressure periods surrounding our growth objections but working those pressures as a team will always see us through

3. "Great company and opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Highly engaged, smart people to work with at all levels - Continuous opportunities to advance your career - Amazing change that we're driving in the market - Highest caliber sales team - Exciting time to work for the company where we're small enough that individuals can make an impact, but big enough that there are the resources to drive change - Flat organization

Cons

- Diversity is lacking - Not enough emphasis on training front-line managers and holding them accountable for being great managers

"Glorified and Overrated"

1.0
    Current Employee - Apac
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good products and smart people.

Cons

1. Brainwashing of Sales culture. 2. Some individuals have no idea of what are Software, Project Management or just Management. It is very scary! 3. Salaries are just in the average. People think that they are really good. Sorry, they aren’t. 4. Not many benefits. Sorry again, I don’t think that “PC or Mac” or “Annual Meetup” are benefits. 5. Brainwashing part II, MuleSoft “has” its core values: - "Be fearless", BUT speaking up and feedback were provided but the management simply ignore them. - "Own it", BUT I can see that the only people who "own it" are always the same. A lot of issues are created internally by MuleSoft (not even the Customers or prospects) and some of the others are fixing it. - "Make it awesome", yes, the technical folks are trying to make it awesome BUT nobody really care about it. - "Be a good human", the workplace was previously great and is now very unpleasant. Some people (fortunately few) are assertive and are not listening to the others. 6. Hiring process can be complex and long. A lot of good candidates realize that it is not worth it and drop during the process Finally, I have seen a lot smart techie people leaving. A Technology company without these folks is an empty shell.

VP APAC

This was extremely tough to read, as our goal is that every person feels challenged and supported. It seems like there is a disconnect with our core values, which are the foundation of who we hire and what we strive to be. I wonder how there can be such a mismatch, and while you mention that you provided feedback to leadership, I would urge you to come find me and let’s talk through what has brought you down so much. I have utmost confidence and pride in the team we have built in Sydney—our latest engagement survey shows that Muleys 21:1 would recommend MuleSoft as a great place to work—but I understand that there are exceptions. I hope you’ll find the time to connect with me in person. Regards Will

"Great company on the right track"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are many reasons to work for this fantastic company but here are a few I feel:- 1. Flat hierarchy: This means no complications of skip levels and you can reach out to anyone, anytime for help or suggestions. 2. Nice people: All the folks I have worked with have shown good professional and human values in addition to being good at what they do. This is a great quality for a good team. Fortunately, all the teams are like this. 3. Full autonomy at work: I feel that every employee is empowered with a lot an autonomy in decision making. Some companies avoid honoring this in the client facing roles, however smart people they believe they have hired. However, this is not the case here. MuleSoft gives a lot of authority in decision making because they believe who they work with. 4. Annual meetup in San Diego. This is one of the important events in the company where every employee from all across the world get to meet each other for one week and the executive team San Diego. 5. Other things I like include private health insurance, free weekly lunches, birthday celebrations and fully stocked kitchen.

Cons

1. Pressure can be very high sometimes. It is not really a bad thing but can be hard for some people who are after an easy going job. Every minute, every hour is important in this company. 2. There can be a lot of travel in the client facing roles and so again people not comfortable with this won't like this. While there can be a lot of pressure, it doesn't mean that company will not give importance to personal situations. Personal well being is taken very seriously in the company over any professional priorities.

Continue reading

"Great company to work for and learn tons"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

MuleSoft is a great collaborative environment that is hiring really fast. I work with very smart people who challenge me daily. Unlimited PTO.

Cons

My immediate team is really small.

Talent marketing

Thanks for the review! Keep up the great work.

"Grow to appreciate this company more every day"

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people – I realize saying a company has great people is subjective, but the more people I grow to know at this company, the more I love it. There are crazy smart people here but they are also incredibly humble and pleasant to work with. I've learned so much from my colleagues both in and outside of my function. Management – from my manager to the CEO, everyone I've encountered in a leadership position at MuleSoft cares about individual trajectory and personal and professional growth. Leadership encourages employees to take on ambitious projects and gives them the resources to support these initiatives. My manager and I meet every week to problem solve immediate problems in my path and also, develop a plan for me to achieve me long term career goals All the usual benefits – free lunches, unlimited vacation...etc.

Cons

At 800+ people and growing, it's critical the company onboards people in a way where they can hit the ground running and have a positive experience from the onset. It took me a few months to get my bearings and meet the people in other functions who would be critical for me to be successful in my role.

Learning and Development

Thanks so much for your review and feedback! I reported to an executive staff member for over 2 years and have to say I couldn't agree more with your view on our leadership team. Regarding onboarding, I'm happy to say that this is a key priority for us this year. No doubt that it's critical as we scale, and I'm looking forward to rolling out improvements in the next few months to make sure new Muleys are well informed and welcomed consistently and effectively. P.S. We are on for MeetUp next year, can't wait!

8. "Excelent Company"

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Buenos Aires

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome and really smart people. Extraordinary human beings

Cons

A lot of work needs to be done and the people over there is not enough. That makes you feel a little bit more stress than usual

Talent marketing

Thanks for your review! Make sure you're taking enough time for yourself, and glad to have you on the team.

"The people, the opportunities, the challenge"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For starters, the people. For me, this is critical to being happy. Good humans, it's not just on our career page, it's the truth. Humble, ethical and helpful, some words I'd use to describe muleys. I've learned from many of them, incredibly smart people have surrounded me and that has helped me be better at what I do. There are always bad apples, don't get me wrong, nothing is perfect, I don’t think there is a perfect company, it's really about what values are the most important to you. And for me, people is in my top three. Second, career opportunities. I've been exposed to so many different areas of the company, and have had the green light to "mutate" my roles so I can work on projects that I want. I've had the opportunity to take my career where I wanted, which is completely different to where I started. I made that possible yes, but the management, my peers and the culture of the company supported it. Last, what we are solving. So much is going on in tech today, but not many focus on solving a problem that impacts a business— and everyday life, as much as integration and connectivity. It's hard, it's challenging, but it's fun...and after four years, I’m still enjoying the ride.

Cons

Always ON.There’s always a lot to do, sometimes (most times) you end up taking work home, because if you don’t, you’ll never get things completely done. So, if you’re all about shutting off at 6, here it will be hard. No WFH. Personally, it’s not a very negative for me, because I do have the flexibility I need, but I know it’s something most companies in the industry offer their employees. Don’t do many fun group/family activities. Besides meetup and holiday parties, we don’t get many offsites, team building activities organized by the company. Some teams do their own thing, but it depends more on your manager. Promotions are not quick like other companies you might be used to. Although you do have the opportunities to experiment and own, getting promoted can take very long.

Vice President, Corporate Marketing

Thanks for the review and I'm happy to hear about your experience. Hiring the best talent and challenging and developing them is very important to us. Sometimes that means we are working longer hours than our industry peers, and driving the business harder than is expected - but we love it nonetheless because of who we do it with. I would love to chat with you in person about how we can make the experience even better, together. Thanks again.

"Learned a ton in a small window, thanks MuleSoft"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft for less than a year

Pros

Good tech and market opportunity. A ton of super smart people that you get to work with. They stress the importance of hiring and the company buys in. This makes recruiting much more pleasant, especially given the hiring bar. In general, they don't allow remote workers, although there are some exceptions. They allowed me to work remote while I moved to NY, knowing that I would be interviewing for other jobs (it was their idea, too!). They even introduced me to companies/people. I was stoked. From day one MuleSoft spoke about empowering their employees for the job they currently have while setting them up for the job they want in the future. At first you wonder if that's just the Mule-aid everyones drinking. They actually care and I'm better for having spent time at MuleSoft. I learned a ton in a short amount of time and parlayed that experience into a role with more responsibility.

Cons

Long, rigorous hiring process. I found myself on an island at times; some of that's the nature of the job, some of it was me not doing enough to integrate.

Recruiting Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review and for the work you've done with us. We are lucky to have had you on the team! Transparency is one of our core values and something I aim to maintain with my team, so I appreciate you recognizing that, and I'm thrilled you feel you learned so much in a short period. That means we're doing our jobs well! Wishing you only the best in NY! Your new company is lucky to have you.

Found 18 reviews