Mozilla Employee Reviews about "compensation and benefits"

Updated Oct 22, 2021

Found 338 of over 411 reviews

3.9
Mozilla Chair  Mitchell Baker
Mitchell Baker
Pros
  • "There is a very good work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• "Long standing open source software organization(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Their last chance was Firefox OS(in 14 reviews)

• "The market share of Firefox is declining at an alarming rate(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "compensation and benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great work environment

May 11, 2021 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work compensation Group work is a large factor In close proximity to large city

Cons

Terrible office space, could be more spacious

Sr Program Manager, Internal Communications

Thanks for taking time to share this. We’re pleased you feel taken care of by us, because our people here are the biggest asset Mozilla has (brilliant and gifted, well as passionate). As for our offices, we’ve learned a great deal through the pandemic about how to operate as a fully remote organization; we do expect some of these changes to last beyond the pandemic. To that end we’re thinking about how all of our office spaces and policies will work in the future to support continued online and in-person collaboration. More on that in this post https://blog.mozilla.org/careers/continuing-to-challenge-the-status-quo-an-update-on-our-remote-work-strategy/

2. 2.0
      Current Employee

Mozilla was always a dream, but it's been disappointing.

Oct 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

* pays well * remote friendly * interesting, friendly co-workers * diversity in exec leadership

Cons

your experience can vary. despite on the surface mozilla seeming pretty progressive, some departments are definitely less welcoming to underrepresented groups. i suppose its all paper cuts but it hurts to be at an org that claims to care for people over profits except for the people it employs. engineering culture-wise mozilla definitely has a tendency to throw things over the fence and poor standards when it comes to code quality. everyone seems to struggle to achieve velocity because of poorly managed tech debt that no one is willing to pay down.

3. The latest conversations about Tech

182 Comments

Tech

35.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=Mozilla~19129
      Join the conversation on
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good place to work in Canada

Jun 25, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working full-time in Mozilla from Canada. - very mission driven, opportunity to work on open-source and for the better internet space - competitive pay, bonus compared to the Canadian market - great colleagues! friendly and inclusive team members, creates a safe space to collaborate and learn - work life balance, remote friendly - can work on new systems, less legacy. more freedom to developers to try out new things and supportive management - generous learning benefits, wfh setups, wellness week and wellness days.

Cons

- from recent company survey, seems like more work is required at the Mozilla executive level to increase the confidence on the leadership. - feels like its a safe place as we have Google funding till 2023 or so, but would like to see the company generate more revenue to be self-sustainable in a long term.

1 person found this review helpful

Sr Program Manager, Internal Communications

We’re so glad you have embraced so many of the things that we love about working at Mozilla (particularly our work, our people and our impact)! We’ve also undoubtedly had a large degree of leadership change over the past few years and are looking forward to building out a new team to create a bigger future for Mozilla and the internet.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good engineering team, dysfunctional management team, incompetent leadership team.

Mar 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I would recommend Mozilla to a friend if they’re a more junior engineer in their career (first couple of years). There are many learning opportunities and depending on the team usually great more senior colleagues to learn from. Just don’t expect much from management, in terms of advocating for you, fair treatment, etc. Mozilla is usually good at work/life balance especially in the early years of your career. It is a remote friendly workplace. It has good benefits though in the last year there has been benefit cuts.

Cons

Mozilla is a big echo chamber, with consensus dictated from top down and senior leaders expecting everyone else to fall in line. This causes us to pilot the ship into the iceberg over and over again while everyone is nervously watching and nobody daring to speak up. Instead of accountability and blameless post mortems the senior leaders answer is always excuses. This causes the organization to not have a memory of past mistakes, with outstanding examples, like dysfunctional marketing organization for years. Another problem is the unwillingness to come up with a strategy spanning multiple years and execute on it. Mozilla keeps chasing various trends of the day in the tech industry. To add to all of this, the browser space is fiercely competitive and we’ve been gradually falling behind and Firefox is now all but irrelevant for many users unfortunately. The events of the last year has shown me that senior leaders do not treat employees as the most valuable asset of the company and it’s been really demoralizing.

10 people found this review helpful

Sr Program Manager, Internal Communications

We’re sorry to hear you are struggling right now here. We do care about our employees' well being and are glad you are benefiting from our competitive benefits offerings. Of course we are disappointed that you aren’t confident in our leadership team, which has made some very tough decisions this past year to get mozilla on the best path to meet the complex challenges facing us all on the internet.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Remote-first, mission driven, and open by design

Jan 9, 2021 - Design Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Truly mission driven organization, remote-first and not just remote-friendly, open source nature is built into every aspect of the business

Cons

Innovation bets and overall product development process isn't yet fully mature

Sr Program Manager, Internal Communications

Thanks for recognizing the importance of our mission and the work we’ve done for years to support our people wherever they are working. Our innovation and product development initiatives include our Builders program and an inclusive design team so we can apply our values to an evolving internet that needs us more than ever. https://builders.mozilla.community/

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Toxic Work Environment

Oct 16, 2020 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work, smart people (used to have a great wellness fund), chance to create new things

Cons

politics, and toxic culture are overriding any potential possible with smart people working together. The expression "Culture eats Strategy for Breakfast" is so true here, the culture of trying to please the right people (vrs doing the work Mozilla needs) and dis-empowerment at any level below senior leadership is a recipe for - well what's exactly happened this year.

8 people found this review helpful

Talent Aquisition Program Manager

Hello, Thank you for your feedback, specifically your advice to management. Confidence and psychological safety are two things Mozilla has taken away from our most recent Employee Engagement Survey. The Learning and Development team plans to create substantial content for managers and support a manager's ability to show up and elevate their teams both tactically and emotionally where needed. We’re also developing a New Employee Experience so new folks joining Mozilla are able to participate in a 3-month program into our culture, our systems, our people and bridge the gap between senior leaders, the work, and the mission. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. If you have any other specific feedback to share, please feel free to email us directly.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A facade of mission driven principles & an incompetent leadership team

Aug 24, 2020 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible work life balance, very remote friendly, and most of the people you'll meet are compassionate.

Cons

Leadership has been off the rails for the last couple years, and is never held accountable for their actions and poor direction. In internal meetings directly following layoffs, there were questions raised around lowering executive pay (currently in surplus of $1 million). The CEO begged us to consider that these people have to "face their families" at the end of the day. (Gah! can you even imagine having to go home making LESS than a million dollars? The horrors!) Don't fall for the "transparency" facade, either. The company claims to welcome feedback and tough questions, but will eagerly reprimand you for stepping out of line. Top down decisions often cause projects to be thrown around without much guidance or explanation. Middle management is not included in these decisions and are left to pick up the scraps of reckless decisions made by leadership. I used to love working at Mozilla, but it has really taken a turn for the worse. I hope it can one day recover, but with the current leadership team, I doubt its future prospects.

11 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Good experience!

Aug 25, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working from home, professional development money, wellness money.

Cons

The market share of Firefox is declining at an alarming rate.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Not like the good old days

Jul 27, 2020 - Senior Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission - driven organization who care about making the WWW open and accessible to all. Allows for remote working. Pays well.

Cons

Consensus culture. If you like to make decisions and run with them it likely won’t be easy for you. Little room to grow professionally. Current leadership doesn’t operate with the transparency it claims. Not an exciting product roadmap for the future at this time.

3 people found this review helpful
    11. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I'll be shocked if they survive

Feb 26, 2020 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

high pay, flexible working environment

Cons

horrible leadership, no direction,

7 people found this review helpful