Morrison Hershfield Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
Morrison Hershfield President & CEO Anthony Karakatsanis
Anthony Karakatsanis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is something that is very important for me and I feel like it's actually doable here" (in 5 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is great, MH offers flextime and work from home options" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's open concept cubicles so may be some people get disturbed by it" (in 4 reviews)

• "I talked to my manager and HR for more than 3 times" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Intermediate Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Intermediate Project Engineer

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at MH for the past 3 years and have had a very positive experience. I really enjoy the projects and working with my team. Work/life balance is something that is very important for me and I feel like it's actually doable here. I would recommend working here to others if you are tired of feeling like a number.

Cons

More open information on the employee shareholder program. It's a great program but hard to find information on at first.

31 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback! Feel free to reach out to HR if you need more information on the shareholder program.

2. "Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on diverse and interesting projects. Culture is great, everyone is very collegial and there are opportunities to develop your career. The company has been growing over the past 4 years so there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. MH is an employee owned firm so it feels very tight knit but you have the support of a large firm. There are also opportunities to invest in the company and become a shareholder. Work/life balance is great, MH offers flextime and work from home options.

Cons

Communication between project teams can sometimes be improved

Advice to Management

Remain employee owned. Expand pay-for-performance to lower bands

5 Nov, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for the review!

3. "Transportation Designer"

I worked at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was working at Morrison Hershfield for over a year and recently left for a publicly traded company to gain more experience as a junior. It was only after the change did I realize the difference in culture between a privately owned and publicly traded company. At MH, I felt more valued and less like a number. There is less red tape when it comes to working on projects and I definitely felt that the work I brought to the table was more appreciated.

Cons

More team/company social events for team building.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture.

5 Nov, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for the feedback! Feel free to reach out to our recruitment team if you ever wish to discuss potential opportunities to return to MH. We love hiring back our former employees!

4. "It was a Great 10 years!"

Former Employee - Building Science Consultant
    Former Employee - Building Science Consultant

I worked at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started my career and worked for MH for 10 years. I started right out of School in their Building Science Group. I was given a lot of great training and mentoring from SR staff and I felt welcome and part of the team from day one. I was fortunate to be part of some amazing projects and to have met and worked with some very talented people at MH. I only left MH to pursue my dreams of owning my own business.

Cons

I lived downtown so the Markham office was the most convenient location for me.

Advice to Management

To keep focusing on building the Building Science practice.

5 Nov, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

We love hearing from our former staff! Thank you for the feedback and best of luck to you with your business.

5. "Electrical designer"

Current Employee - Junior Electrical Designer in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Junior Electrical Designer in Markham, ON

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time

Pros

Flex timing work from home..

Cons

It's open concept cubicles so may be some people get disturbed by it.

Advice to Management

Nothing

18 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for the feedback! We love hearing from our staff.

6. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time

Pros

Flexible work hour. Good benefit.

Cons

Loud work environment in the open concept office.

18 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Please feel free to let HR know if you have any suggestions on how we can help with the noise!

"Structural Technician"

I worked at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefit is overall ok.

Cons

Morrison Hershfield is the worst work place I have even been. I work in Markham office for 2 years. I works in structural group. This group takes advantage of new immigrants. They hire the new immigrants and gave them a low job title and their classification is low. Because in this way, the company has an excuse to give them a low pay. However, when I join in this company, I got my master's degree in another country which could be an obvious evidence that I got enough knowledge to be qualified for a high position. But they just arrange me a low position and the pay is low too. In the first four month I can accept this, because I need some time to get myself familiar with all the Standards for the structural design. I learned after work. Things always pay back. After about 4 month, at least 3 engineers arranges me design work, even though I didn't ask them to give me that work. This means that I am qualified to do the work in a higher level. I went to the HR to let them give me a rise. But they tell me to talk to my manager. I talked to my manager about this issue, they said wait for 3 month. And after 3 month they said wait for another 3 month. They saw that you are doing something that is in a higher level. They just don't help you to solve the problem. They just take advantage of you. Because you are new immigrant, you need money to pay your living expenses. You have no choice, you have to work even if you know they took advantage of you. I talked to my manager and HR for more than 3 times. They just pretend they don't know and never solve this problem. Also, in structures group there exist harrassment. Because the office is design on an open concept, I can hear everyone . For a lot of times, I heard an old engineer talked to a young engineer in a loud voice and saying " you are so stupid". Some thing like that. I have experienced something like that too. But it's a young engineer who harrass me for 3 times in one month. I couldn't remember what he said clearly. But I report to HR, I'm sure HR should have a record. This young engineer also harass one of my other colleague. She already left the company as what I did. Please don not work in this company, especially the structure's group. Or you will be regret.

Advice to Management

Giving advice is to help that company to grow, who wants to give advice to a company that treat people bad?

18 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at Morrison Hershfield. We take these allegations very seriously and we welcome the opportunity to discuss... More

8. "senior electrical engineer"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time

Pros

I like the pay in this company, also possibility of work from home

Cons

it can be quite noisy at times in open concept office space

18 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for the feedback!

"Project Coordinator"

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time

Pros

- Allows you freedom to work on your own with projects in a manner you find better
    - Open to ideas and feedback

Cons

- Internal promotion really does not happen unless you are part of the boys club
    - They say training to advance your job - but that never happens

Advice to Management

Build your teams be happy when they get promoted do not hold them back just for your benefit.

18 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We would like to hear more about your perspective on promotion and training. Feel free to reach out to Human Resources directly if you wish to disucss in... More

10. "Electrical Designer"

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours, free gym

Cons

There is a lack of young professionals in the office

18 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback!