Morrison Hershfield Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Morrison Hershfield President & CEO Anthony Karakatsanis
Anthony Karakatsanis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "It's open concept cubicles so may be some people get disturbed by it" (in 4 reviews)

• "More team/company social events for team building" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on diverse and interesting projects. Culture is great, everyone is very collegial and there are opportunities to develop your career. The company has been growing over the past 4 years so there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. MH is an employee owned firm so it feels very tight knit but you have the support of a large firm. There are also opportunities to invest in the company and become a shareholder. Work/life balance is great, MH offers flextime and work from home options.

Cons

Communication between project teams can sometimes be improved

Advice to Management

Remain employee owned. Expand pay-for-performance to lower bands

5 Nov, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for the review!

2. "Structural Designer"

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time

Pros

Flexible, good pay, management, quality of life

Cons

Repetitive, I cannot think of anything else

3. "Innovative company with entrepreneurial spirit"

Former Employee - Building Energy Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Building Energy Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MH is an innovator and thought leader in the areas of building performance and energy efficiency. They have produced many new tools, like the Building PathFinder and the Thermal Bridging Guide, that are used by other industry professionals and decision makers.

MH does a great job of supporting its staff in entrepreneurial pursuits, and gets team members at all levels involved in client interaction and business development.

Cons

Toronto office location is not ideal for downtown residents.

"Great EIT Experience"

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the opportunities for growth and learning, the mentorship, and the social events

Cons

Understaffed leading to overworked employees and high stress levels, lack of communication, not enough time set aside for proposals

Advice to Management

Encourage hiring additional employees, specifically at the intermediate to senior level, so there are enough people to write proposals, lead projects, complete technical work, and complete QA/QC of work done by junior engineers.

5. "Good Potential for Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer Specialist in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer Specialist in Markham, ON

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the work environment here, as everyone is friendly and professional. Some employees have been here for more than 30 years.
    As a senior engineer, I have made some suggestions to the management, and they were mostly adapted. This give people the opportunity to grow and flourish with the company.

Cons

More collaboration between departments would be encouraged in this multi-disciplined firm.

Advice to Management

Succession planning would encourage new thinking and innovations.

"Building Science Consultant"

Current Employee - Building Science Consultant
    Current Employee - Building Science Consultant

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are down to earth and pleasant to work with. Projects are interesting and enjoyable. Internal procedures and policies are generally in place and people follow them. Good environment to work at. Salary is on par with competitors.

Cons

Not the most innovative or industry leading. Lacking a sense of team or community. Very metric-driven, don't feel the people genuinely care about you.

7. "Great company for juniors to grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall friendly and great working environment. As a junior engineer, I appreciate that senior engineers are willing to mentor me and support me in developing my technical skills. There are opportunities to work on interesting projects, but you'll have to take initiative to be involved. I think this company has lot to offer for junior engineers who are looking to start their careers. Work/life balance is possible too. Projects are enjoyable with strong project managers leading.

Cons

Hoping for more team-building/social events to encourage meeting people in other business units at the office, which can be helpful for inter-disciplinary projects.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to work, with sound leadership and a unique culture. The Ottawa office was growing immensely when I started, and the team always made time to help me learn and become a valued part of the operation.

I left to work for a big company during the last recession, and wonder what it would be like to have stayed.

Cons

Challenging as you build up clients and work towards having a successful billable base

Advice to Management

Look to align project teams under a common leader, to drive more toward a successful multidisciplinary operation.

"Transportation Designer"

I worked at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was working at Morrison Hershfield for over a year and recently left for a publicly traded company to gain more experience as a junior. It was only after the change did I realize the difference in culture between a privately owned and publicly traded company. At MH, I felt more valued and less like a number. There is less red tape when it comes to working on projects and I definitely felt that the work I brought to the table was more appreciated.

Cons

More team/company social events for team building.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture.

5 Nov, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for the feedback! Feel free to reach out to our recruitment team if you ever wish to discuss potential opportunities to return to MH. We love hiring back our former employees!

10. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Intermediate Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Intermediate Project Engineer

I have been working at Morrison Hershfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at MH for the past 3 years and have had a very positive experience. I really enjoy the projects and working with my team. Work/life balance is something that is very important for me and I feel like it's actually doable here. I would recommend working here to others if you are tired of feeling like a number.

Cons

More open information on the employee shareholder program. It's a great program but hard to find information on at first.

31 Oct, 2018 – Manager, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback! Feel free to reach out to HR if you need more information on the shareholder program.