Morrison Child and Family Services Reviews

Updated Aug 1, 2020

Morrison Child and Family Services Chief Executive Officer Drew Henrie-McWilliams
Drew Henrie-McWilliams
  1. COVID-19

"Good to start out, and generally supportive"

Current Employee - Milieu Counselor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive work environment Present and active superiors Very engaging Emphasizes self care

Cons

Adequate pay only came after COVID Long hours and frequent switching of set schedules Lack of upward mobility within the specific program

2. "Caring Coworkers"

Former Employee - Milieu Supervisor
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time

Pros

Meaningful work and people who believe in the clients they serve.

Cons

Low pay, frequent turnover and no time for professional development.

Continue reading

"Toxic for supposedly being a "Trauma Informed" workplace"

2.0
    Former Employee - Milieu Staff At ORR Program in Portland, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The kids you work with are incredible and getting to know/ support them while they're going through a hard time is incredible rewarding. Kept me there for 2+ years. Some program management was incredible supportive and great mentors. 4 day/10 hour shifts (3 day weekends) help with burnout a bit.

Cons

This is going to take a while so here it is in list format: -Female milieu staff have regularly receiving rape threats, constant sexual harassment by youth in program, staff have been held hostage by children in program, injured while breaking up physical fights, physically assaulted by youth - IN LIGHT OF ALL THIS ^ company boasts about being "Trauma Informed" yet doesn't allow staff to use sick days for mental health issues directly caused by work. - Milieu staff are least respected or consulted on policy changes yet spend the most time with youth and are tasked with enforcing arbitrary rule changes by management. - Incredibly toxic burnout inducing culture, perpetually understaffed and people are constantly called in to work/ need to stay hours late/ work overnight because of insufficient coverage - Milieu staff pay is abhorrent for the intensity of the work. Pay starts at $14/hour ($15 bilingual) and you likely won't get a raise for a full year (each raise is done in ~10 cent increments). Most milieu staff are supporting families and are pushed to constantly put in overtime to make ends meet.

Continue reading
  4. "Good job to start at"

Former Employee - Child Care Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

This position was very rewarding in terms of knowing that a lot of the children’s parents were struggling with substance abuse, or had a hard time with parenting in general, but they still attended parenting classes with the hope to secure their children’s lives. I not only enjoyed seeing the parents attend classes, but I was also happy to know that they were trusting us with their children. My supervisors were very supportive and it was easy to get close with coworkers because of how much we had to depend on each other during groups.

Cons

I see the wage has not raised much since I left the company 4 years ago. I understand that the employees in this role do not have to have a college degree, but $12.50 is a low wage for caring for the groups of children that they do. I worked with many children who had emotional and behavioral trauma almost every shift and I remember how hard I had to work to show them they could trust me. The groups that I worked with other coworkers weren’t as bad because I had the extra support, but the groups that I did independent care took a toll on me as I attempted to comfort multiple children at once who needed than I was able to give them at times.

Continue reading
  5. "Enjoy working with diversity of children and their families."

Current Employee - Child Care Worker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Morrison Child and Family Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Multicultural, diversity and LGBTQ safe

Cons

Working with children in special needs.

Continue reading
  6. "Working for Morrison Child and Family Services"

5.0
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Portland, OR

I have been working at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time

Pros

I work with good people for a good cause. The youth we serve are generally grateful for the services they receive while in our care. I

Cons

We are at the mercy of ORR regulations, so we don't function like a normal high school. It takes some getting used to.

7. "good"

Former Employee - On-Call

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

The heart and philosophy behind their work is inspiring.

Cons

Some funding instability at times.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very diverse setting. Joy of working with many different children.

Cons

Lack of consistent staff. High turnover

"Good work experience, terrible pay, high stress."

2.0
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed the laid back environment with supportive coworkers along with generous schedule flexibility. The work with the families was rewarding and it was good work experience. The CEO is outstanding!

Cons

There is little to no room for career advancement. There are erratic budget and program cuts- I never felt my job was secure. Positions were cut to save money at the expense of overworking remaining staff. Some locations are in unsafe neighborhoods. The pay is insulting- seriously, most starting pay here is what HUD would classify as low income or very close to it, but the positions require bachelors or masters degrees and the raises are nonexistent. The turn over is incredibly high because people simply cannot afford to stay. The health insurance is alright but be warned, though they're a family service agency they don't offer any maternity leave which is beyond hypocritical to their mission. Constant stress at work over my job being cut and constant stress at home over low income level pay made this a very unpleasant place to work.

10. "Fair Working place"

Former Employee - Youth Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offered a lot of hours, thus could rack up a good amount of overtime. Nice people to work around, enjoyable culture.

Cons

At times they’d hire people that really didn’t help the team at all.

Found 39 reviews