Monster Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

2.9
Timothy T. Yates

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Communications from upper management wasn't always timely" (in 37 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance - the stress of this job follows me home even when I proactively try to avoid it" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Motivated, busy, appreciated, fun!"

Current Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Transparency and frequent contact with management keep us in the loop and involved; great collaboration across countries is energizing; varied, meaningful work and recognition from our peers keep us motivated, we feel appreciated; flex hours, strong work and home balance make it easy to work hard and play hard. Fun work environment, collaborative and supportive.

Cons

More widespread access to on-going technical training.

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment in Toronto has really improved, people talking, collaborating, having fun.

Cons

Still needs some work to get some of the negative ones OUT

Advice to Management

Keep driving, trying new things, keeping everyone involved and continue to let us all have this great new voice!

3. "Premium Service Representative"

Current Employee - Premium Service Representative in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Premium Service Representative in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, a ton of flexibility and independence, tuition reimbursement program and ability to work from home!

Cons

No career advancement and instability within the company.

"meh"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Monster Worldwide (Less than a year)

Pros

No micro management, weekly calls with the sales manager out of the u.s.

Cons

Company cut down so much. There was free breakfast once a week and they cut it down to once a month. They had a nice office and then downsized. Monster does not have the tools to compete with indeed and it is clearly showing.

Advice to Management

Provide more incentatives for your employees!

5. "Great Employer - great work life balance"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance is great... you are treated as family even though they are a really large global company.

Cons

Need more innovations to make sure we are ahead of the competition! We are the pioneers and we need to take back.

"Extinction"

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Sadly that's it. Oh they are great at "selling" would be staff to join them based on the vision of "the new Monster". Following through on the new monster is a different story.

Cons

- leadership: as with the other reviews, management seems to be content with offering "me too" product & service offerings. While they are fiscally responsible, I think if Monster is serious about trying to survive they need fresh, entrepreneurial blood and not ex-bankers

- middle management: clueless about employment laws! Overheard in a meeting with a staff (this was within earshot of the team!) well, if you are sick of cancer or anything serious, then just resign because it will be so complicated to get HR involved. Plus I don't know the process. IF you get better then just apply again if there's an opening." Forget labor laws but how about pure unadulterated compassion?

- account executives: I don't know how to sell "solutions" and I don't know how to sell other "things" if it's not media related (job posting), no matter what the company says is the flavour of the month, if I keep selling my job postings then I'm safe.

Advice to Management

Get a visionary to take the helm.

"Sad, slow end..."

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, and lots of flexibility

Cons

Disconnected management who refuses to change with the demands of their customers or their employees.

Advice to Management

It's not 2001 anymore...time to change. Technology has already changed...marketing your "new" tools for 4 years does not make them new anymore. Additionally, the increasingly political environment kills innovation from your employees.

8. "Great work life balance"

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Salary is okay & good environment

Cons

Very small team and no opportunities to grow.

"Extinction"

Pros

Work from home and that's it

Cons

What once was an innovator in the industry is now slowly turning into an extinct dinosaur (yes that's a play on the dinosaur mascot). It's sad because you can tell when the management lost focus and it went downhill from there. -- The products and services are very "me too" and constantly repackaged and rebranded but still the same theme... "whatever innovations the competition had, we'll have that too and we'll repackage it as the New Monster."
    - It's like being in high school, if you're not at the jock table you're on your own. Very big boys club mentality
    - Management is very disjointed
    - majority of middle management got promoted from account management and not even aware of labor laws -- case in point, few employees got seriously ill and asked their manager for sick leave and/or short-term disability the manager replied and this is an actual quote "I don't know the process for applying for that. It will be too complicated if we go to HR, just resign and if you get better just re-apply again!"

If you are thinking about working for this company, think twice. The work from home environment might be tempting but you will be ruined by what you see and experience here.

"Completely Backwards Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro was their brand name, which in the traditional work of recruiting still has some strength.

Cons

This organization cares very little for employee engagement and the overall employee experience. They are 100% driven on numbers alone. Physical offices feel like deserted dungeons with poor lighting and energy. Departments are completely silo'd and not encourage to collaborate with each other. Leadership is either non-existent or extremely poor. Finally, product and overall business innovation is extremely poor --- Monster is still hanging onto legacy products that may still generate success now but will sink the company in the near future. How they manage their entire business is based on their stubbornness to not make difficult strategic decisions regarding direction.

Advice to Management

Start focusing on the long-term rather than short-term, and start caring about your employees.