Monsanto Company Research Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Amazing place to work! Keeps getting better!"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chesterfield, MO (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, easy work life, laid-back environment, and first-class employer.

Cons

Honestly, the only thing I can say is my lab runs 24/7 so I work weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

"Apparently there's an unaddressed harassment issue at this company"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Woodland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Woodland, CA (US)

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely wonderful working with so many brilliant and friendly scientists. The honest, hard-working people here almost make up for those who are not.

Cons

I didn't want to post earlier for fear it would be too specific, but after seeing other posts that are similar, I'm starting to feel as though this is less of an isolated incident and is therefore important to share.

I was harassed at work and asked to fake data by my supervisor. When I reported it to HR they told me they would not be doing anything because he "is a seasoned employee" and "you don't have proof anyways" (because all incidents were verbal and I was told I should've recorded him if I wanted anything done). Shortly after this report, I was told I needed to work exclusively at a remote facility, thus preventing me from giving the presentation I had been scheduled to give and cutting off my access to networking. My job duties were almost completely changed and my position was terminated a couple months later. This type of behavior from HR and staff changed my perspective from someone who dreamed of working for Monsanto, to someone that realizes they use intimidation and underhanded tactics to stifle criticism. Amazing how a few people can soil the work of so many extraordinary scientists.

Advice to Management

Realize that HR reports are not just for protecting senior employees, they are for protecting ALL employees. I am actually wary of working for this company again after seeing your HR Department in action.

"Monsanto Review"

Current Employee - Agronomic Research Associate
    Current Employee - Agronomic Research Associate

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work environment
    -Challenging
    -Great networking opportunities

Cons

-Can be overprofessional at times
    -Work/Life Balance is not great, by that I mean during harvest ( 5 weeks) and planting ( 5 weeks) you work 16 hour days, 7 days a week non stop

Advice to Management

One of the biggest faults of this company is that they view education credentials as more important than industry credentials. I have seen too many managers here that dont know anything that is going on because the company decided to hire someone with a Masters degree for management instead of someone who has been in the industry for 20+ years without a masters degree.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Springfield, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Springfield, IL (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to use cutting edge tech

Cons

Pay is good based on a 40 hour week, but that never happens. With no overtime the pay isn't great.

Advice to Management

Salaries should be higher

6. "temporary"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Glyndon, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Glyndon, MN (US)

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was easy work, very good training personal. Had very good safety meetings. They had the safety of all their employees in mind all the time.

Cons

There is a lot of corn dust floating all around, so If you have allergies it is a must to take allergy meds.

Advice to Management

In this day and age with all the costs of medical, it would be great if you offered Medical insurance even to your temporary employees.

"Pretty good, except for one issue"

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with some awfully intelligent people that do some amazing work. I've learned a ton since I've been with Monsanto. The benefits are good. The work/life balance for me is great, but I know it's terrible for others. Flexible hours. Management for the most part has their act together.

Cons

It is impossible to figure out how to move up from one RA level to another. Impossible! HR tried to explain 1-2 years ago, but it was conveniently vague and muddied the waters even more. And trying to get a bonus level increase is an act of Congress. They do just enough to make it hard to leave the company.

IT systems are a joke.

Advice to Management

If someone has exhibited that they are doing the work of a level that is higher than what they are currently set at for an extended period of time, reward them for it. And actually develop people instead of developing the people that management wants to develop.

"Mostly good but..."

Former Employee - Research Associate in Middleton, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Middleton, WI (US)

Pros

Great bene's and salary. The people I worked with were great and always willing to help one another. We innovated and fixed problems for other sites and our own. Always learning. Would have stayed if site not closed.

Cons

Downsizing, if you were at a remote RD site your job or site is not stable. Limited opportunities at the remote sites.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the importance of location size or the location itself. There is/was a reason many people did not relocate when they were given the opportunity.

"Love the work, iffy on the job"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chesterfield, MO (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, smart coworkers, impactful projects, cutting-edge research

Cons

High pressure, long hours, rudderless leadership

Advice to Management

Stop burying employees with exponentially increasing workloads, tightening deadlines, and endless "culture change"; let their passion drive innovation.

10. "Excellent work environment"

Former Employee - Technology Development Manager & Research Associate in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Monsanto Company (More than 5 years)

Pros

Main focus on work freedom and feel good work environment with great work life balance . Safety is the priority above all .

Cons

Consultants future is not promised

Advice to Management

More visible csr acitivities and awareness needs to be made to the society and the future generation

"Overall, a very good place to work"

Current Employee - Research Associate IV in Woodland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate IV in Woodland, CA (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work, many career development options, flexible schedule, casual atmosphere, good benefits package

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy at headquarters, leaders slow to react to necessary changes, politically motivated promotions.

Advice to Management

Reduce number of levels of hierarchy to increase speed of communication and strategy adjustments, drastically reduce focus on high-throughput screening research to focus valuable resources on ideas that emerge from in-depth discovery stage research.