Mobify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mobify CEO Igor Faletski
Igor Faletski

"Great people, lots of opportunity to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a heavy emphasis on staffing the right people, and the team is one of the best I've known. If the field matches your interest you'll have the opportunity to work with best in class technologies and on the newest platforms.

Also, the management is aware of the importance of culture in keeping the team together and focused.

Cons

A recent pivot has caused some tension in the ranks, and the team is still working to regrow some of the lost trust and sense of fun. Give it time.

Advice to Management

Try to remember that culture requires you to create the conditions for it's growth, and then step back and leave it room.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fun and exciting place to work, surrounded by intelligent and friendly people. Great support from management and a hands-on executive team who are always there to help. Mobify offers great opportunities to learn and build a career.

Cons

Given the nature of the industry, there is always going to be a lot of change and some uncertainty at Mobify but the executive team does an excellent job of keeping employees in the loop.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Directionless - Okay Place for Newbies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're new to the industry, this is a decent place to get your start.

Cons

The company doesn't listen to the concerns of its employees.
    They do not focus on the right things.
    Too many 'yes-men'
    Too many upper management promotions

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and address their concerns.
    Listen to those with a difference of opinion from the majority.
    Focus on your product first.
    Find someone who can lead the company.

"Mixed Blessing"

I worked at Mobify full-time

Pros

- Focused on having a diverse company culture
    - Decent benefits
    - Flexible work hours
    - Great perks like device grant, free lunch once a week etc.
    - Fairly competitive pay, but it depends on your role
    - Probably will look good on your resume
    - Nice office downtown
    - Really talented and wonderful people

Cons

- Consistently poor leadership
    - Very low morale
    - Some pretty inefficient and unorganized teams
    - Feedback isn't heard and acted on very slowly, if at all
    - The company is going through many changes and has been pretty unorganized for the entire year, including a round of layoffs
    - What you see definitely may not be what you get. You can ask all the questions in your interview but follow through is not guaranteed
    - They hire really talented people but give them no opportunity for growth or leadership. The current leadership shows very little integrity or trust in its employees
    - Not enough transparency

Advice to Management

- Trust your employees, trust their feedback, and act on it in a timely manner. Take criticism. Grow from it.
    - Respect the anonymity of reviewers on this site. Trying to figure out who wrote what, accusing, and harassing current and former Mobifyers, and violating people's privacy makes you extremely unprofessional, and only shows that you still cannot take criticism and you still refuse to listen to your employees.
    - Don't get your leadership to write Mobify reviews for the sake of upping your ratings. It's really obvious and really unprofessional.

"A good company in transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is ambitious, has a goal to grow the overall Vancouver tech ecosystem. I like that they aim big, and yet generally leave teams to set their own goals and directions.

The new offices are amazing. World class. Great location, room to collaborate or hide away. A pleasure to come into work every day.

The people are my favourite part. Smart, selfless, helpful, driven. I've learnt a lot in my 1 year here, much more than previous companies. I was able to move around teams and learn areas that I wouldn't have been able to touch in prior roles.

Cons

As with many companies this size, change management needs work. There is a growing maturity in the company that is necessary, but understandably will scare people.

Benefits don't seem as strong as other local companies, but again younger company where this isn't a surprise.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people who have gone through this transition before. Experience means a lot in this industry, and finding the right experienced people to lead and fit in is key.

"Decent company, depending on what you're looking for"

Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, let me say somebody posted a bad review here impersonating me. Sigh. There's some shenanigans going on here. Take these reviews with a grain of salt. Mobify has definitely been going through growing pains, but it is absolutely not a 1 or 5 star company. It's a 3 or 4 company. Let's try to get a better representation rather than swinging to the extremes. It always depends on your role, manager, and period in your career. I'm ambitious and far into my career, so I felt a bit more blocked than enabled sometimes. Others may feel the opposite. Others may have been fired, and that's worth mentioning. Accurate representation please. Recommend to a friend? It really depends on the friend, but yes I have recommended it recently.

- Lots of genuinely great and kind people.
    - Lots of great times.
    - Location is excellent.
    - Perks are decent.
    - Pay is good. Benefits are good.
    - Vacation time accumulates.
    - Job stability, for sure if you're an engineer.
    - Technology can be interesting, depends on the team.
    - Pretty good early in your career, eg. fresh grad or junior.
    - When you're done building something here, you get a really nice feeling of satisfaction. I can say I worked on lots of huge brands. Sometimes you get to build them solo (engineer).
    - There's so many opportunities to learn if you have the determination to go after it. There may be some blockers, but this is common in most orgs.
    - Supports pushing things upstream, and contributing to open source (not always, but when it really makes sense).
    - Lots of guilds, for things like hackathons, data, branching.
    - Lots of knowledge sharing, platforms like weekly lunch & learn, all hands, UI dev meetings, web sync.
    - Free food and snacks. And a freezer. Yes a freezer. Sometimes it has icecream.
    - Very little pressure to join social activities.

Mobify will get where it needs to go. It's just going to be a longer harder road than I think anyone expected. When it gets there, it's going to be pretty cool.

Cons

Mobify's biggest challenge is how much they've bitten off with the move to the platform. Teams are strapped for resources. That makes it difficult to give engineers freedom and do more R&D.

- Some people find it difficult to change roles or teams. There should be more structure around letting people build things they want to build. Managers/leads could be more trusting and get people where they want. I would require all role change requests get funneled up to the top so you are aware. Leadership, check in, and ask leads "did you get this person where they want to go yet?" There's only 100 people so far. It shouldn't be hard to check in and make sure your people are being taken care of. You could be doing this, so good job if you are, I just saw a couple instances where it didn't seem like it.
    - Transparency is good if it's managed. If it's unmanaged, it causes more problems than it solves. Set boundaries and give people clarity. It shouldn't always be transparent for comments or changes in scope. It's transparent so you are informed and know what kind of company you're part of building.
    - Building things quickly without thinking putting too much thought into architecture. That's more a more common Mobify strategy that I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure it works well sometimes. I would just recommend every product has a single "architect" responsible for keeping everybody on the same page.
    - I've seen some people go weeks without having solid work, especially UI devs, and that really shouldn't be happening. At the same time, I've seen some of our products go months without basic UI improvements (somebody presented them at show & tell). That's odd.
    - I didn't meet a single person who enjoyed doing pure maintenance, unless they were valuing salary or resume. Mobify has a lot of other perks that make it -almost- worth it, but misses the mark. It's partly self-inflicted in that we hired ambitious people and put them on boring work. You'd have more success hiring people who just want 9-5 job security for their families.
    - Sales are sometimes put in the awkward position of selling something that doesn't exist. I would try to reduce that gap as much as possible. And just make the reasoning super visible internally so people understand the whys, don't feel like it's a facade.

Advice to Management

- Kill the maintenance team. Even with the context thrashing, it was better when every delivery team shared the load and felt like they were all in it together. Partners are not going to be able to on ops work for quite a while, and every day that team is around, is another day you have a team you've openly said doesn't work well.
    - Give people a solid role transition role. It's better your smart people are working on things they want to work on within a specific time period, eg. 2 months, because they could up and leave in ~2 weeks.
    - If you want people to own it, sometimes you need to explicitly give them ownership, otherwise they're always on the fence. That leads to too many fingers in the pot.
    - Be more reluctant to fire people and hire for the same positions, or hire for positions other employees are interested in.
    - Switching all hands to show & tell was a good move. Although now some people seem to miss Friday celebrations. I'd bring that back.
    - Don't put any spin on challenges. At all. eg. "this bad thing happened but we are going in the right direction". Just show you care, and sometimes business happens.
    - Don't become insecure due to these reviews. Nobody likes an insecure leader. But listen, acknowledge, you don't need to respond. Give smart people huge challenges and trust them.

8. "Great tech jobs outside of SF"

I have been working at Mobify full-time

Pros

- Access to really sharp minds (serious talent in design, product and marketing)
    - Inspiring new space in the heart of Vancouver
    - Working in a fast-paced industry (Retail focused Mobile Tech)
    - B2B Tech careers outside of SF
    - If you're ready to pave your own path - Mobify will support you

Cons

- 'Leadership' is often mistaken for the loudest voice in the room

Advice to Management

Look into the patterns that are developing across departments with talent leaving or being let go. You may find that the root cause is tied back to one fundamental flaw in leadership. (See 'Con')

"Amazing place to work with great career opportunities"

I have been working at Mobify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for Mobify for just under a year now and have always felt valued by my peers and superiors. The working environment is incredible and I've never worked for a place where the execs are so available and willing to having an open discussion about anything related to Mobify. I've always felt like Mobify has been incredibly transparent as long as you ask the right questions.

It's also amazing working for a company who's product you believe and trust in. There are definitely some difficulties along the way as we are defining a new space in mobile commerce technology, however, the payoff has the potential to be huge which makes it so much easier to come into work everyday.

The staff and culture is also a key differentiator for Mobify as there's a lot of amazing perks (weekly lunches, device and education budgets, stocked kitchen, etc...) and amazing people to work with.

Cons

There has definitely been a lot of changes at Mobify, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a fast-paced environment that rewards you if you're able to adapt.

Advice to Management

As Mobify continues to grow I hope we can maintain the same culture, which as I've seen so far seems to be the case!

"Great momentum and a fun place to work."

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product direction is ambitious but achievable and the platform messaging is resonating with the market. There's huge growth in mobile and we've got a unique solution to bring to the market

We're improving and maturing processes across the company, each team seems to be levelling up and doing things better. I've seen the company grow up quite a bit during the time I've been here.

Lot's of really smart people here, i've learned a lot. Great culture, lots of perks (lot's of in office meals, device budget, education budget, company retreat, etc, etc.)

The leadership is very open to input, I haven't seen a lot of top down decision making. Staff have a voice and seem to be listened to.

Cons

The company is going through a lot of changes and that can be perceived as a con for some. Some look at change as a threat, others an opportunity. I've seen lots of people move into roles that didn't exist before as we build our partner program and mature other areas of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight! Stay open to feedback!

Mobify Response

26 Oct, 2016 – CEO

Thank you - appreciate seeing the changes as positive & necessary and not as a threat. We have a huge market opportunity yet it requires focus and radical changes in several areas of the business ... More

"Fantastic tech startup in the heart of Vancouver"

I have been working at Mobify full-time

Pros

Mobify has been around for a while, but it's still a startup. That means an awesome culture and rapid change. I love it, though it's definitely not for everyone.

If you're talented, enthusiastic, ambitious and hardworking, this is an A+ place to work. You have great opportunity to learn from other talented people and make a meaningful contribution.

Fun, respectful culture. Great people and social activities.

Cons

As is normal in the tech industry, people shift companies often. You'll make some great friends here, but they might not be there for long as you'd like.