Mobify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Mobify CEO Igor Faletski
Igor Faletski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, fairly flexible on working from home requests/time off (in 5 reviews)

• For an engineer (especially one that is just starting out), it shapes you positively and gives you tons of opportunities to learn and grow (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There has been a lot of changes so I can see people are still getting used to that (in 3 reviews)

• The pace of change is aggressive (in 3 reviews)

"Best job I've had in tech"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from some early stage startups, it's refreshing to work at a place that knows what they are doing. However, it still has that fun and exciting startup feel, and leadership is very good that owning mistakes and making moves to fix them.
    Everyone is incredibly smart and kind at Mobify, and open to lots of learning. It's definitely a place where you can truly grow, and your peers are committed to helping each other get to where you need to go.

Cons

I can't really think of any downsides. With any workplace there will be some challenges and struggles but I think Mobify has a good process for acknowledging them and improving on what isn't working.
    Maybe the social life of the company could improve. There has been a lot of changes so I can see people are still getting used to that. I'm sure it will come back around again.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing: the transparency and openness is comforting and helpful. Continue working on alignment between teams. There is definitely some grey areas on who is responsible/accountable for what, and that can be hard to manage.

"Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* People - Without a doubt Mobify has (and seems to be able to attract) the best people to work with. They are smart, hard-working, humble, and friendly. I have alot of faith the engineering management (I'm an engineer) based on my 2.5 years with Mobify and experiences with them.

* Technology - As Mobify moves past the stop-gap technologies (mobify.js, adaptive.js) that got them to where they are and on to new ones (react/redux) the company is making product development an exciting place to be. There's also a good mixture of using new tech but being cautious with not jumping on any new fad thinking it is a silver bullet.

* Autonomy - On the engineering side, you can make a difference if you show initiative. If you believe in something and show it's value, you can make those changes happen!

Cons

* Transition - Mobify is coming out of a fairly large organizational transition (actual a few). This has changed quite a few roles at Mobify which unfortunately has resulted in people leaving because the work no longer matches what they signed up to do. That's too bad, but inevitable when a company pivots.

* Product - The challenge of building a product for eCommerce is difficult and doing that while already selling it adds complications.

Advice to Management

Keep improving! Over the last 1.5 years I've seen an immense maturing of the Mobify management team. I'm so much more confident with the C-level people today than where they were even a year ago.

Keep focused. The team needs to deliver so stay focused on the core product and shield the teams from anything that doesn't add to that core product.

This isn't to management, but if you've read other reviews complaining about Mobify, ask yourself if you've ever worked at a company that didn't have _any_ problems. Mobify has shown that it is not afraid to evolve when it needs to and works hard to support the people that work there. The management team is transparent and owns up to failures when they happen.

9 Jul, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your kind words - we're definitely trying our hardest to build an amazing, authentic company at Mobify. Onwards!

3. "Exciting place but stability is questionable"

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people! Amazing, fun, hard-working individuals
    - The office is beautiful and well-located
    - Lots of fun team events
    - Promising product
    - The Human Resources Team is fabulous! Keep hiring great people!

Cons

- So. Many. Changes.
    - Mobify bit off a lot more than it could chew and we're paying the consequences for it now
    - The office is huge yet it's mostly full of empty desks
    - Morale is low
    - Company stability is very questionable!
    - A lot of really get employees have left

20 Jul, 2017 – CEO

Hey - thanks for your kind words about the people at Mobify! Everyone is working hard on building a new product for a new market and I wish it was a smoother ride. We're aiming high and there is lots... More

"Sinking ship"

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good smart people work here who are passionate about what they are doing.
    Very good brands in the past under their portfolio
    Excellent work life balance in a high profile office right downtown

Cons

Sales are slow, if non-existent in the last few quarters
    Low moral of the team as there have been many layoffs
    good talent and strongest team members are leaving for other companies
    Leadership is disconnected with the team as a whole.
    Tech is based on google products which everyone has access too and feels like whatever google does we will follow. No longer innovative.

Advice to Management

Feels like the company is no longer striving to create innovation and a viable product more like it is being set up to be sold so the the investors can get some of their money back. More emphasis on new products and direction of the company to show the team where we are going. Everything would change is sales start happening again.

29 Jun, 2017 – CEO

Hey - Igor here. Just to recap: we beat our sales goals 2 out of last 3 quarters, including closing our biggest deal ever this week. Q1 wasn't good though and the leadership team owns that miss and... More

"Great people, lots of opportunity to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a heavy emphasis on staffing the right people, and the team is one of the best I've known. If the field matches your interest you'll have the opportunity to work with best in class technologies and on the newest platforms.

Also, the management is aware of the importance of culture in keeping the team together and focused.

Cons

A recent pivot has caused some tension in the ranks, and the team is still working to regrow some of the lost trust and sense of fun. Give it time.

Advice to Management

Try to remember that culture requires you to create the conditions for it's growth, and then step back and leave it room.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fun and exciting place to work, surrounded by intelligent and friendly people. Great support from management and a hands-on executive team who are always there to help. Mobify offers great opportunities to learn and build a career.

Cons

Given the nature of the industry, there is always going to be a lot of change and some uncertainty at Mobify but the executive team does an excellent job of keeping employees in the loop.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

29 Jun, 2017 – CEO

Thank you! There's always uncertainty in start-up land but we're doing our absolutely bestest to make sense of it it all. Glad you're enjoying the ride!

"Directionless - Okay Place for Newbies"

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're new to the industry, this is a decent place to get your start.

Cons

The company doesn't listen to the concerns of its employees.
    They do not focus on the right things.
    Too many 'yes-men'
    Too many upper management promotions

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and address their concerns.
    Listen to those with a difference of opinion from the majority.
    Focus on your product first.
    Find someone who can lead the company.

"Decent company, depending on what you're looking for"

Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, let me say somebody posted a bad review here impersonating me. Sigh. There's some shenanigans going on here. Take these reviews with a grain of salt. Mobify has definitely been going through growing pains, but it is absolutely not a 1 or 5 star company. It's a 3 or 4 company. Let's try to get a better representation rather than swinging to the extremes. It always depends on your role, manager, and period in your career. I'm ambitious and far into my career, so I felt a bit more blocked than enabled sometimes. Others may feel the opposite. Others may have been fired, and that's worth mentioning. Accurate representation please. Recommend to a friend? It really depends on the friend, but yes I have recommended it recently.

- Lots of genuinely great and kind people.
    - Lots of great times.
    - Location is excellent.
    - Perks are decent.
    - Pay is good. Benefits are good.
    - Vacation time accumulates.
    - Job stability, for sure if you're an engineer.
    - Technology can be interesting, depends on the team.
    - Pretty good early in your career, eg. fresh grad or junior.
    - When you're done building something here, you get a really nice feeling of satisfaction. I can say I worked on lots of huge brands. Sometimes you get to build them solo (engineer).
    - There's so many opportunities to learn if you have the determination to go after it. There may be some blockers, but this is common in most orgs.
    - Supports pushing things upstream, and contributing to open source (not always, but when it really makes sense).
    - Lots of guilds, for things like hackathons, data, branching.
    - Lots of knowledge sharing, platforms like weekly lunch & learn, all hands, UI dev meetings, web sync.
    - Free food and snacks. And a freezer. Yes a freezer. Sometimes it has icecream.
    - Very little pressure to join social activities.

Mobify will get where it needs to go. It's just going to be a longer harder road than I think anyone expected. When it gets there, it's going to be pretty cool.

Cons

Mobify's biggest challenge is how much they've bitten off with the move to the platform. Teams are strapped for resources. That makes it difficult to give engineers freedom and do more R&D.

- Some people find it difficult to change roles or teams. There should be more structure around letting people build things they want to build. Managers/leads could be more trusting and get people where they want. I would require all role change requests get funneled up to the top so you are aware. Leadership, check in, and ask leads "did you get this person where they want to go yet?" There's only 100 people so far. It shouldn't be hard to check in and make sure your people are being taken care of. You could be doing this, so good job if you are, I just saw a couple instances where it didn't seem like it.
    - Transparency is good if it's managed. If it's unmanaged, it causes more problems than it solves. Set boundaries and give people clarity. It shouldn't always be transparent for comments or changes in scope. It's transparent so you are informed and know what kind of company you're part of building.
    - Building things quickly without thinking putting too much thought into architecture. That's more a more common Mobify strategy that I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure it works well sometimes. I would just recommend every product has a single "architect" responsible for keeping everybody on the same page.
    - I've seen some people go weeks without having solid work, especially UI devs, and that really shouldn't be happening. At the same time, I've seen some of our products go months without basic UI improvements (somebody presented them at show & tell). That's odd.
    - I didn't meet a single person who enjoyed doing pure maintenance, unless they were valuing salary or resume. Mobify has a lot of other perks that make it -almost- worth it, but misses the mark. It's partly self-inflicted in that we hired ambitious people and put them on boring work. You'd have more success hiring people who just want 9-5 job security for their families.
    - Sales are sometimes put in the awkward position of selling something that doesn't exist. I would try to reduce that gap as much as possible. And just make the reasoning super visible internally so people understand the whys, don't feel like it's a facade.

Advice to Management

- Kill the maintenance team. Even with the context thrashing, it was better when every delivery team shared the load and felt like they were all in it together. Partners are not going to be able to on ops work for quite a while, and every day that team is around, is another day you have a team you've openly said doesn't work well.
    - Give people a solid role transition role. It's better your smart people are working on things they want to work on within a specific time period, eg. 2 months, because they could up and leave in ~2 weeks.
    - If you want people to own it, sometimes you need to explicitly give them ownership, otherwise they're always on the fence. That leads to too many fingers in the pot.
    - Be more reluctant to fire people and hire for the same positions, or hire for positions other employees are interested in.
    - Switching all hands to show & tell was a good move. Although now some people seem to miss Friday celebrations. I'd bring that back.
    - Don't put any spin on challenges. At all. eg. "this bad thing happened but we are going in the right direction". Just show you care, and sometimes business happens.
    - Don't become insecure due to these reviews. Nobody likes an insecure leader. But listen, acknowledge, you don't need to respond. Give smart people huge challenges and trust them.

"A good company in transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is ambitious, has a goal to grow the overall Vancouver tech ecosystem. I like that they aim big, and yet generally leave teams to set their own goals and directions.

The new offices are amazing. World class. Great location, room to collaborate or hide away. A pleasure to come into work every day.

The people are my favourite part. Smart, selfless, helpful, driven. I've learnt a lot in my 1 year here, much more than previous companies. I was able to move around teams and learn areas that I wouldn't have been able to touch in prior roles.

Cons

As with many companies this size, change management needs work. There is a growing maturity in the company that is necessary, but understandably will scare people.

Benefits don't seem as strong as other local companies, but again younger company where this isn't a surprise.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people who have gone through this transition before. Experience means a lot in this industry, and finding the right experienced people to lead and fit in is key.

"Fantastic tech startup in the heart of Vancouver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time

Pros

Mobify has been around for a while, but it's still a startup. That means an awesome culture and rapid change. I love it, though it's definitely not for everyone.

If you're talented, enthusiastic, ambitious and hardworking, this is an A+ place to work. You have great opportunity to learn from other talented people and make a meaningful contribution.

Fun, respectful culture. Great people and social activities.

Cons

As is normal in the tech industry, people shift companies often. You'll make some great friends here, but they might not be there for long as you'd like.