Mobify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mobify CEO Igor Faletski
Igor Faletski

"Great people, lots of opportunity to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a heavy emphasis on staffing the right people, and the team is one of the best I've known. If the field matches your interest you'll have the opportunity to work with best in class technologies and on the newest platforms.

Also, the management is aware of the importance of culture in keeping the team together and focused.

Cons

A recent pivot has caused some tension in the ranks, and the team is still working to regrow some of the lost trust and sense of fun. Give it time.

Advice to Management

Try to remember that culture requires you to create the conditions for it's growth, and then step back and leave it room.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fun and exciting place to work, surrounded by intelligent and friendly people. Great support from management and a hands-on executive team who are always there to help. Mobify offers great opportunities to learn and build a career.

Cons

Given the nature of the industry, there is always going to be a lot of change and some uncertainty at Mobify but the executive team does an excellent job of keeping employees in the loop.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Directionless - Okay Place for Newbies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're new to the industry, this is a decent place to get your start.

Cons

The company doesn't listen to the concerns of its employees.
    They do not focus on the right things.
    Too many 'yes-men'
    Too many upper management promotions

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and address their concerns.
    Listen to those with a difference of opinion from the majority.
    Focus on your product first.
    Find someone who can lead the company.

"Decent company, depending on what you're looking for"

Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, let me say somebody posted a bad review here impersonating me. Sigh. There's some shenanigans going on here. Take these reviews with a grain of salt. Mobify has definitely been going through growing pains, but it is absolutely not a 1 or 5 star company. It's a 3 or 4 company. Let's try to get a better representation rather than swinging to the extremes. It always depends on your role, manager, and period in your career. I'm ambitious and far into my career, so I felt a bit more blocked than enabled sometimes. Others may feel the opposite. Others may have been fired, and that's worth mentioning. Accurate representation please. Recommend to a friend? It really depends on the friend, but yes I have recommended it recently.

- Lots of genuinely great and kind people.
    - Lots of great times.
    - Location is excellent.
    - Perks are decent.
    - Pay is good. Benefits are good.
    - Vacation time accumulates.
    - Job stability, for sure if you're an engineer.
    - Technology can be interesting, depends on the team.
    - Pretty good early in your career, eg. fresh grad or junior.
    - When you're done building something here, you get a really nice feeling of satisfaction. I can say I worked on lots of huge brands. Sometimes you get to build them solo (engineer).
    - There's so many opportunities to learn if you have the determination to go after it. There may be some blockers, but this is common in most orgs.
    - Supports pushing things upstream, and contributing to open source (not always, but when it really makes sense).
    - Lots of guilds, for things like hackathons, data, branching.
    - Lots of knowledge sharing, platforms like weekly lunch & learn, all hands, UI dev meetings, web sync.
    - Free food and snacks. And a freezer. Yes a freezer. Sometimes it has icecream.
    - Very little pressure to join social activities.

Mobify will get where it needs to go. It's just going to be a longer harder road than I think anyone expected. When it gets there, it's going to be pretty cool.

Cons

Mobify's biggest challenge is how much they've bitten off with the move to the platform. Teams are strapped for resources. That makes it difficult to give engineers freedom and do more R&D.

- Some people find it difficult to change roles or teams. There should be more structure around letting people build things they want to build. Managers/leads could be more trusting and get people where they want. I would require all role change requests get funneled up to the top so you are aware. Leadership, check in, and ask leads "did you get this person where they want to go yet?" There's only 100 people so far. It shouldn't be hard to check in and make sure your people are being taken care of. You could be doing this, so good job if you are, I just saw a couple instances where it didn't seem like it.
    - Transparency is good if it's managed. If it's unmanaged, it causes more problems than it solves. Set boundaries and give people clarity. It shouldn't always be transparent for comments or changes in scope. It's transparent so you are informed and know what kind of company you're part of building.
    - Building things quickly without thinking putting too much thought into architecture. That's more a more common Mobify strategy that I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure it works well sometimes. I would just recommend every product has a single "architect" responsible for keeping everybody on the same page.
    - I've seen some people go weeks without having solid work, especially UI devs, and that really shouldn't be happening. At the same time, I've seen some of our products go months without basic UI improvements (somebody presented them at show & tell). That's odd.
    - I didn't meet a single person who enjoyed doing pure maintenance, unless they were valuing salary or resume. Mobify has a lot of other perks that make it -almost- worth it, but misses the mark. It's partly self-inflicted in that we hired ambitious people and put them on boring work. You'd have more success hiring people who just want 9-5 job security for their families.
    - Sales are sometimes put in the awkward position of selling something that doesn't exist. I would try to reduce that gap as much as possible. And just make the reasoning super visible internally so people understand the whys, don't feel like it's a facade.

Advice to Management

- Kill the maintenance team. Even with the context thrashing, it was better when every delivery team shared the load and felt like they were all in it together. Partners are not going to be able to on ops work for quite a while, and every day that team is around, is another day you have a team you've openly said doesn't work well.
    - Give people a solid role transition role. It's better your smart people are working on things they want to work on within a specific time period, eg. 2 months, because they could up and leave in ~2 weeks.
    - If you want people to own it, sometimes you need to explicitly give them ownership, otherwise they're always on the fence. That leads to too many fingers in the pot.
    - Be more reluctant to fire people and hire for the same positions, or hire for positions other employees are interested in.
    - Switching all hands to show & tell was a good move. Although now some people seem to miss Friday celebrations. I'd bring that back.
    - Don't put any spin on challenges. At all. eg. "this bad thing happened but we are going in the right direction". Just show you care, and sometimes business happens.
    - Don't become insecure due to these reviews. Nobody likes an insecure leader. But listen, acknowledge, you don't need to respond. Give smart people huge challenges and trust them.

"A good company in transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is ambitious, has a goal to grow the overall Vancouver tech ecosystem. I like that they aim big, and yet generally leave teams to set their own goals and directions.

The new offices are amazing. World class. Great location, room to collaborate or hide away. A pleasure to come into work every day.

The people are my favourite part. Smart, selfless, helpful, driven. I've learnt a lot in my 1 year here, much more than previous companies. I was able to move around teams and learn areas that I wouldn't have been able to touch in prior roles.

Cons

As with many companies this size, change management needs work. There is a growing maturity in the company that is necessary, but understandably will scare people.

Benefits don't seem as strong as other local companies, but again younger company where this isn't a surprise.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people who have gone through this transition before. Experience means a lot in this industry, and finding the right experienced people to lead and fit in is key.

"Fantastic tech startup in the heart of Vancouver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time

Pros

Mobify has been around for a while, but it's still a startup. That means an awesome culture and rapid change. I love it, though it's definitely not for everyone.

If you're talented, enthusiastic, ambitious and hardworking, this is an A+ place to work. You have great opportunity to learn from other talented people and make a meaningful contribution.

Fun, respectful culture. Great people and social activities.

Cons

As is normal in the tech industry, people shift companies often. You'll make some great friends here, but they might not be there for long as you'd like.

"One of the better tech companies in the city"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mobify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- lots of really smart people
    - great social culture; people are engaged but not overly drunk on kool-aid
    - solid marketing budget for a company its size

Cons

- muddled vision, lots of small pivots in 2014-2015
    - market outpaced the company, and there was a lot of playing catchup
    - at the time, weak marketing leadership

Advice to Management

- become more operationally and fiscally smart
    - be more realistic about the current state of the product and the market
    - don't hire execs who aren't a good culture fit

8 Jul, 2016 – CEO

Hey, this is Igor - thanks for the review. You call it "lots of small pivots", we call it "experimentation" :-) Product-market fit in mobile is really hard, so we had to try many things to get to the ... More

"Amazing experience"

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company that values R&D.
    Amazing group of individuals, all really smart and able to tackle any issues.
    Great company culture, growing really fast, a company you won't get bored at.
    The founders have a great vision of where the market is going to go.

Cons

Communication will become an issue as the company keeps growing and expands its workforce into other countries/regions.

Advice to Management

Things are moving fast, and they won't slow down. Make sure the systems and processes don't delay the actions.

18 Apr, 2016 – CEO

Thanks! There is a lot of passion about the future of mobile customer engagement here at Mobify. A lot of work to do - and we'll do our best to continue to communicate well & often.

"Awesome place to be at everyday. The workplace that you did be willing to wake up for."

Current Employee - Front-End Engineer Lead in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Front-End Engineer Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working at Mobify. I learn so much from everyone and I am still learning. They really take care of your career development and making sure that you succeed in your interest. Mobify is always improving the culture at work.

Cons

There are still a lot to learn. It is still a young company so mistakes happens but Mobify does everything they can to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep learning and keep improving. It's hard to know if what you are doing is correct or not but it's okay, it all part of growing.

18 Apr, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for a great response and glad you are learning lots! In the quickly changing mobile market it's the #1 priority for creating great products and helping our customers succeed.

"Fantastic company to work for in an exciting, growing space..."

I have been working at Mobify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture. Mobify truly cares about what is right for their people.
    Smart, capable, passionate people.
    Rapidly adding new features to their platform.
    Good variety of product, marketing and customer related work.
    Beautiful office (soon to be even more beautiful)!
    More transparent than any other company I've worked for - the CEO does monthly AMAs, the executive team is always open to answering your questions.

Cons

The company is growing so communication (especially inter-office) should improved.
    The culture has changed as we have grown. Not necessary for the worse, but it's changed - so if you want things to stay the same, this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

You have built a great company. Stay true to what have gotten you this far and keep on hiring great people.

18 Apr, 2016 – CEO

Thanks - we're all working super hard to grow fast while taking care of our culture and people. They are what makes Mobify great!