Miyamoto International Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.2
Miyamoto International CEO Dr. Kit Miyamoto
Dr. Kit Miyamoto
  1. "Best job ever"

Current Employee - Recruitment Advisor and Human Resources Coordinator in Wellington, Wellington

I have been working at Miyamoto International part-time for less than a year

Pros

Small company saving lives and positively impacting communities.

Cons

There arent any cons for me

Miyamoto International2019-07-15
  2. "Mediocre Engineering Company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Miyamoto International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance for me working here has been rather well, but as many companies it can go through ups and downs. Sometimes things get really busy.

Cons

The company is very cheap and doesn't do a great job of boosting company morale. Salary is on the lower side. Company hasn't focused on development and growth of younger engineers.

Advice to Management

Focus more on what's happening in each office and care more about the small workers working hard for you.

Miyamoto International2019-06-30

"Disfunctional international work"

I worked at Miyamoto International full-time

Pros

Flexible, some exciting projects, challenging roles

Cons

The entire international effort established at Miyamoto has one purpose: photo ops for the CEO for promo and ego-boosting material. There were zero opportunities for project ownership. You will never be able to identify, lead, or complete a project of your own. I was actually told I would never be able to seek, find, initiate, or bring to completion my own projects. "The CEO will always be the one to give the final presentation...

Advice to Management

Let go. Stop insisting on putting yourself in the middle. Praise and promote your workers and the organization will go far.

Miyamoto International2018-08-30

"Small big guys--company with a soul"

I have been working at Miyamoto International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great international exposure, multiple learning opportunities, flexibility of schedule and general understanding about the need for flexibility, collaborative work environment, and growth oriented

Cons

Growth oriented with associated growing pains, changes--good and bad, not a place for rigid, perfectionist, and task oriented people, young--but not immature staff

Advice to Management

Move at a faster pace to define individual identities of the offices, or consolidate the purpose and mission

Miyamoto International2017-12-13
  5. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Christchurch, Canterbury

I worked at Miyamoto International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, colleagues, social, supportive, fun. Big emphasis on team bonding and employee satisfaction. Flexi hours and a culture of trust. As long and you get your work done nobody wants to micro manage.

Cons

Occasionally working overtime, nothing major. Most people start off doing quite a bit of report writing, but there opportunity to move away from that and into design if desired.

Advice to Management

Great culture of support and respect. Many opportunities to progress. A big emphasis on team culture and employee enjoyment was a big plus.

Miyamoto International2017-10-24

"Company is arrogant and a media hog"

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miyamoto International full-time

Pros

Interesting and international projects to work on. Focus of company is on earthquake resilience internationally and in the US. Some very bright and friendly people in the company. Good health benefits. Agree with the mission of the company.

Cons

Top leadership decisions is questionable. Number one goal of company is to make the CEO look like the 'earthquake savior of the world' - period. Most trips to earthquake disaster zones are really only photo opportunities for press releases with very little, if any, positive affect on the survivors. Claim they are experts, but in reality many time are figuring things out for the first time when it happens (which isn't...

Advice to Management

Top Management knows what needs to happen, but they are butting heads with the CEO who is not willing to budge (feel bad for some of them). But in any case, please don't bring the CEO's personal relationships into the company's leadership structure. That is just disastrous and drives away good employees.

Miyamoto International2017-10-18

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Miyamoto International for more than 8 years

Pros

We have a workforce of extremely competent engineers who all work hard to keep our mission to "Make the World a Better Place" a reality!!! The CEO is always thinking outside the normal engineering box. We all work hard and play hard.

Cons

I can't really think of any!

Advice to Management

Continue the good work and let's keep growing this company!

Miyamoto International2016-06-29

"Making the world a better, safer place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Miyamoto International for more than 10 years

Pros

Miyamoto has some of the sharpest engineering minds and a friendly, collaborative environment for engineers of all levels. I love going to work every day!

Cons

So much work, so little time - a good problem to have!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Miyamoto International2016-06-29

"The L.A. Office is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Miyamoto International

Pros

The staff in the L.A. Office are wonderful people to work with. Everyone is really helpful and supportive. A lot of fat has been trimmed in the past year to make the place a much more efficient and enjoyable working environment. The location of the office is great! Right in the middle of DTLA by lots of shopping, restaurants and the Metro Station.

Cons

Salaries are comparable to other Structural Engineering firms, which means they're not great. Likewise, the benefits are just okay.

Advice to Management

Improve the quality control process of drawings and reports. To the staff you are not directly working with on a project, talk to them more frequently than annual review time, create equality.

Miyamoto International2015-01-09

"The best people in the industry, with exciting projects to work on."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Miyamoto International full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great, easy to work with and supportive no matter what your position. The benefits are fair and they will work with you to make sure you're satisfied.

Cons

While I was there things were tight in the industry so the fringe benefits were not there, but they did all they could to keep everyone happy and employed. No cons to speak of really.

Miyamoto International2014-10-21