MindGeek Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 13 March, 2019

3.6
Feras Antoon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free breakfast every day and free lunch once a month" (in 46 reviews)

• "Also very easy to create a great work/life balance unlike other places that may require lots of OT or weekend work" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a very closed gentleman club" (in 10 reviews)

• "Poor management, VERY poor salaries, unqualified people getting hired" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Super Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Montreal, QC

I worked at MindGeek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at MindGeek for 3 years. Honestly, one of the best places I ever worked in my whole life. I know the departments are different and the management styles may vary, but if you are going to SEO, you are going to have a damn good time!
    The management at all levels is really great. And I mean it. They give you a lot of autonomy to test your ideas and learning is constantly encouraged. I felt recognized and there was room to grow. The teammates are really nice people too, and I built some friendships there that will last for life.

The company itself is very chill, you will be able to keep a very nice work/life balance. Parties are awesome, perks are awesome, but really, people there are the best part. Everyone was nice and kind, trying to do their best every day.
    If you are willing to work hard and put love in what you are doing, this is the company.

Cons

I wish we had summer hours all year xD

Advice to Management

The communication could be improved a bit. Sometimes it feels different departments are trying to go to different directions.

"MindGeek Rocks!"

I have been working at MindGeek full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very professional work environment with strong leadership. Management is positive and transparent, encouraging employees to come to them with initiatives and strategies.

Incredible people and a very relaxed atmosphere that is conducive to productivity. Great place to learn cutting-edge digital marketing techniques.

Mindgeek is a great place to work while learning many aspects of Internet Marketing. The focus and support for employee development is above average with numerous incentives to gain new skills that will help employees move up within the ranks rather than look elsewhere.

Fun place to work. A dynamic company where there is lots to learn and there are plenty of resources to guide you and create a lasting career path. Great perks available, like an annual gym allowance, and access to “LinkedIn learning”.

The perfect place for those who are self-motivated and want to express their creative skills. Also very easy to create a work/life balance unlike other places that may require lots of OT or weekend shifts. They also provide a $500/yr fitness allowance that can be used for a gym membership, yoga classes, or anything else; and it doesn’t all need to be in 1 place so mix and match what suits you best.

Fast-paced with solid management and collaborative groups of people that challenged me and my ideas making me better at my job. You’ll never get bored and actually look forward to Mondays!

If you’re into interesting projects and flex hours, Mindgeek is the gold standard. A place where you work hard but play hard too. Free breakfast every day, monthly company-wide free lunch, and incredible parties throughout the year (Hallowe’en, Christmas, Summer BBQ etc…)

Mindgeek offers a lot of room to learn and grow. They truly care about their employees and offer amazing benefits. It's quite a large company now, but within each department is the ability to feel you're truly part of a team.

Every day I find an amazing work environment plus the latest technology and tools to facilitate my tasks and learn. There's constant team contribution and a very capable management team keeping the company at the forefront of digital marketing. Lots of room to grow for anyone looking for a real career in a recession proof industry.

Far and away the best job I have had to date. Worked on numerous projects with some seriously talented and fun people. The culture is outstanding, and I look forward to growing with everyone here!

Cons

Could use more vacation days :)

3. "Fun & Flexible place to work"

I have been working at MindGeek full-time

Pros

Cons

-No RRSP for now, but in talks.
    -Can't work from home.

Advice to Management

-Consider being able to work from home for some positions and evaluate based on performance and output ;)

"Lead"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Montreal, QC

I worked at MindGeek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks
    Space for growth
    Continually a fast paced environment

Cons

Repetitive
    Lack of feedback
    Nepotism
    Lack of care from upper management

Advice to Management

Take care of your low level employees. Cover therapy in the insurance.

"Interesting projects and fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Montreal, QC

I have been working at MindGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am guessing every employee's experience varies depending on their expectations from a job and the team they are a part of. However, for me, being a member of a Data Science team, the experience has been great so far.
    I get to work on a lot of interesting ML-related projects; do some applied research; go from prototypes to complete systems; deploy to production, etc.
    The management is very supportive when it comes to helping us overcome roadblocks, whether it is buying additional hardware, getting access to the data we need or clarifying project requirements.
    Additionally, everyone on the team has a great sense of humour (which is kind of a required thing to have given the type of industry that the company operates in).

Cons

Again, your experience may vary depending on the team and its manager, so my advice would be to ask of a lot of questions about the team's work culture, and what kind of manager you would be dealing with.

6. "Ok but can be better"

I have been working at MindGeek full-time

Pros

Parties and location. Employees

Cons

Management is terrible, cost cutting

Advice to Management

Stop being so uptight

"Adult film industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at MindGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the biggest name in the adult industry business. They offer decent compensations for the low earning teams and the pay gets higher for the teams that make the big money (like every company would). The position is tough when you have to deal with the actual material that the company sells, but you get used to it. The people that work are really interesting, kind and diverse, from different backgrounds, both geographically and professionally. Good balance between earning a living and time for you. The perks are fairly good, and better for full time - indefinite term contract employees.

Cons

The material we deal with takes a while to get used to and it does beat you mentally, emotionally and personally.

Advice to Management

HR should have some source of psychological or group therapies for employees that work directly with the content.

"Fast paced, results-oriented environment with one major flaw"

I worked at MindGeek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced work environment enables you to make an impact if you're in a position to do so.

Good advancement opportunities as long as you have the drive and ambition to earn it, as well as the social skills to be pulled up the ladder.

Plenty of talented people across all departments to work with and learn from.

Cons

Unfortunately, there's a lot of dead weight.

Many early hires or inner circle employees (in all levels of the hierarchy) cannot carry their own weight and often affect those around them as a consequence.

Some of those in senior management are in way over their heads but they are protected due to nepotism. This can be frustrating for talented people trying to shine while being lead by someone who clearly lacks the experience or know-how to lead them.

Advice to Management

Fire non-performers regardless of their seniority and focus on grooming the real talent for advancement.

"Great learning opportunity in a positive environment"

Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Montreal, QC

I have been working at MindGeek (Less than a year)

Pros

-Low stress but a high capacity for growth- there's always something to do and there is an encouragement to take on new projects, but there is very little pressure to push yourself to complete these things. I find this relaxed approach makes me more productive.
    -Very kind, uplifting coworkers! The culture here is very welcoming and positive.
    -Flex hours have changed my life and given me such a sense of relief that I can balance other things that I have to deal with. I never thought this freedom could be possible!
    -Every day there's something new to learn, and although the content can be intense sometimes, it definitely makes for a hilarious work day most of the time.
    -So much coffee. So good.
    -It's interesting to be able to work with so much data and in an industry that is always shifting- I always feel like I'm learning, even when I become comfortable with concepts.

Cons

-Lots of free food- but healthier/vegan options are usually lacking.
    -Could use an exercise area or even a room to stretch in- 7 hour days in a chair is tough on the body!

Advice to Management

-Having some opportunities to grow in other departments and areas would really encourage sharing of ideas and greater growth potential.

-Would be interesting to have more networking or inter-department communication that is not centered around partying- would love more workshops, 'show and tell' type presentations, or rapid networking events that I've experienced in other tech companies. I could see a lot of great things happening in the company if we had more inter-department networking, communication, and idea sharing on a regular, casual level.

"Experiences vary greatly by department"

I worked at MindGeek full-time

Pros

Mindgeek offers great opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

My boss had favorites. I saw other team members who were given a lot of breaks who didn't work nearly as hard as I did (but every team is different)

Advice to Management

Make sure to take the time to train new additions to your team.