Methanex Employee Reviews about "methanex"

Updated Nov 23, 2021

Found 14 of over 129 reviews

3.5
Methanex President and CEO John Floren
John Floren
Pros
  • "Global company, good benefits and work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Great working environment, peers support(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Vacancies are hard to fill because potential employees are well aware of the Methanex reputation for having a toxic atmosphere(in 8 reviews)

• "There are never enough hours in the day but I don't view that as a con, nor does it impact work/life balance - I just wish I had more time(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "methanex"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great culture and exciting work

Nov 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Methanex has a great culture made up of very talented and professional team members. I've always had the chance to work on really exciting projects and have been given a lot of new and different opportunities.

Cons

Because of the collaborative nature, it can take time to progress key initiatives.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Current Employee

The system is set up to protect the managers regardless of their performance.

Nov 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, holidays and compensation.

Cons

Immature investigation process, in which the employees are disciplined and/or let go to protect the images of the managers. The managers lack the courageousness to ask the simple question, “what was my role in this event and what can I change that would result in different outcome”. The concept of systemic learning is foreign to the site and senior management in the organization. Managers manage their images, but fail as leaders. Their priority being, what do I need to do to get ahead; rather then how can I clear the ways to make things better and more efficient for my team. Methanex loves to hear about what they are doing well, but “kill the messenger” when negative observations are noted. This often includes, revising root cause findings, changing KPI data, and covering up known issues. Methanes priorities of safety and quality are often placed on the back burner to production and profit. This includes the health and wellness of their employees.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Good work environment and excellent teamwork!

Sep 1, 2021 - Utility Operator in Medicine Hat, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Highly recommend working at Methanex!

Cons

Long hours and outdoor work.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Fantastic Company!

Jan 20, 2018 - Senior Analyst in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Methanex is an incredible place to work! Career and personal development is a strong focus from the CEO all the way down the organization. There are lots of opportunities to work with different groups on interesting and stimulating projects. The company is also very supportive of people moving between groups, functions and offices.

Cons

I have been very impressed with Methanex since joining last year and I have no complaints.

5. 1.0

Cringeworthy

Dec 5, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Medicine Hat, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good co-workers. People with integrity are unfortunately among the lower ranks. Good opportunities available to all those who suck up.

Cons

In the dictionary, under "Classless" is a picture of Methanex.

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company. Great People. Great Culture.

Jun 22, 2016 -  in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

A truly unique company! Methanex has a fantastic corporate culture that creates a great place to work and learn. There is an opportunity to make a valuable impact at all levels of the organization which provides an empowering work environment and lots of potential to learn new things everyday. A very talented group of people offering engaging work – a great place to be!

Cons

Susceptible to market volatility which can be unsettling for those who are not familiar with these cycles, however, the company does a great job of positioning themselves to withstand these periods and come out on the other end stronger than before.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Wonderful Company - Lots of opportunity

Nov 15, 2014 - Analyst in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Methanex Is a great company for anyone that is willing to work hard and earn their opportunities. I have worked there for almost 2 years and have loved every minute of it. My boss has given me every opportunity to excel in my work and participate in training programs. Lots of opportunities to advance in the company (If you're willing to put in the time and effort) Lots of opportunity for young people to interact with everyone in the company all the way up to senior management. Great culture of social responsibility and community. When it comes to health + safety, the company goes above and beyond to make it a #1 priority. A very social culture where colleagues regularly spend time with each other outside of work. Compensation is on par (if not better) than most other large companies operating in Vancouver, and the benefits package is phenomenal. Working for Methanex is a no-brainer if you have the opportunity!

Cons

Depends heavily on the department, but due to the nature of the business ( Logistics) , the hours can be quite eratic ( 24/7), so it certainly takes the right personality and mindset to be successful in certain positions.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Methanex walks the talk on development of employees.

Nov 7, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Global opportunities, support for learning and development of employees, a great work hard/play hard environment. The company hires for culture, so there are a lot of like minded people walking around the halls - lots of lunch running groups, lots of after work drinks. The people I work with are the same kind of people that I want to hang out with on the weekends. Compensation is competitive and time off policies very generous.

Cons

Expectations are really high of employees at Methanex.

9. 5.0

Exciting Work and Great People

Sep 26, 2014 - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work is exciting, the people are great and the culture is truly unique. Working on global projects, making a real impact and collaborating with others towards a shared goal is what I love about working here. I feel truly supported in my career and my development at Methanex and are given opportunities that would be difficult to find in another company.

Cons

There are never enough hours in the day but I don't view that as a con, nor does it impact work/life balance - I just wish I had more time.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Low salaries, understaffed, and lack of commitment from management to deal with issues.

Aug 18, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Medicine Hat, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Medicine Hat plant is a smaller facility so it doesn't take long to get to the office once you get to the plant gate. A good place to work for employees who are slackers. Company barbeques are good.

Cons

Salaries are typically 20 % below the similar type plant facilities. Upper management indicated, over two years ago, that they do many types of salary surveys and that Methanex has a competitive salary in the industry. Currently management stated that they are doing a salary survey, but they won't know the results until next April. Many people have left the company simply because if the salary survey will come out next year, employees will have been grossly underpaid for three years.

7 people found this review helpful